1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Finally starting (the efi part) it runs!

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by furious70, Nov 29, 2008.

1. furious70

It does have the clear flood mode but shutting the pump off keeps you from having the big cough and flare up of rpm when it lights up. Just turn the pump off, keep foot off the gas and it'll start right up, then quick flick the pump on and you're running with no drama. At least that's how it worked over the weekend.
    Some help from the efi forum may have helped the hot idle surge. My mentor runs O2 correction all the time even at idle, another guy suggested I don't do that. Since I don't have mine science'd out near like booster does the no correction setup seems to be a little better at idle.

2. CW25

Good to know on hte pump thing. :2thumbs:

3. furious70

well, switching to a more important project for awhile:

Anna Therese Bower, 7lbs 12oz 20", born 6:05pm 2/13, Friday the 13th. For those wondering, she was born with a big right foot =)

[​IMG]#ad

4. rdakota340

congrats on the new tech!!

5. CW25

Congrats. That will keep you awake at nights instead of thinking about your car now. :D First one?

6. furious70

Yup, first one. She's been pretty good so far and the grandmas have been taking turns helping us out. Time to start the junior dragster fund :)

7. tilt

Hey congrats!
    She was born on my B-day.

8. Anthony Fury

Awww! Well that's neat o. Congrats!

Oh, and the Fury can be a Jr. Dragster!

9. BlownShovel

I actually was gonna comment on the cool build/progress

Congrats :2thumbs: Plenty of time to sit up at night thinking about the car while you are rocking :chacha:

10. furious70

11. BlownShovel

12. furious70

no wrenches just yet. Didn't figure that gallery would be of as much interest in this forum :)

If a C body is a jr dragster, then what's an A body? A slot car?

13. BlownShovel

Kids are awesome.. they slow your life down big time especially in 100% maintenance mode when they arrive.. But Totally Awesome

My 3 yr old daughter loves hanging in the garage with me!
    Not helping just hiding the wrenches :D

14. furious70

Snuck a few hours over the last couple weeks to put the correct manual brake pedal in the car and tinker some. Played with the gain controls for the IAC and O2, got it to surge much worse, but didn't get it much better. Took it around the block for the first time, initial impression is with the rpm perf. intake and relatively small 5.0 TB it's very crisp and peppy down low. I don't have the accel. pump tables tuned correctly yet, but I was impressed with the response for sure.
    I've run several carb setups on this motor, Holley street dom. intake and the stock intake with both a 625 carter and 750 double pumper. Just put-puting around the block the efi feels much better than either.

One issue though, the fuel pump about 1/2 around started making a much louder higher pitched noise. With the car off and pump running same sound, turn the car on and it goes up. I didn't get a chance to put my multimeter on it, but the car has at least 1hr run time in the driveway before yesterday, if not 2 hours. Not sure what driving would have done? It's a walbro 255.

15. Anthony Fury

Nice. Don't be afraid to crank the TPSdot - that pooch will be crisp like Pringles. :)

So you don't feel alone: that's kind of what I was up against (I think) the few times I drove my car last summer.

0:00 - 0:30 = Rocketcycle
    0:31 - on = Pump starts to sound like a Weldon, car drives like poo
    1:00 cool off time: Rocketcycle again

I would question everything: wiring, filtration, pump height, etc. You have the pump lower than the tank, so you're good there. How is your filtration? Good wiring to the relay?

Did you sort out your other electrical gremlins? The FAST pulls a fair amount of juice, and so does the pump (especially when you are up against the dreaded Mopar-dimming-headlight-syndrome).

My pump is a hand-me-down, too...think I'm gonna spring for a fresh one and see where I end up. (Hmm, maybe I should install all the fancy gauges I bought! :D)

16. furious70

pump is new, wiring is all new, I went with 8g per Booster's recommendation. The pump had only run about 10min yesterday b4 the pitch change, total run time on the efi over all days is about 2hrs. It's run for much longer, albeit mostly idling, other days. But, yesterday's trip around the block was hardly a taxing event for anything.
    Also per Booster's recommendation, just the OEM sock in the tank, no filter pre pump. GM filter post.
    All elec. seems fine, I'm getting 14v. The pump sounds like it's running on 20v though, not like it's low voltage. With the car off it sounds just fine at ~12v.

17. Anthony Fury

I dunno about the OEM sock so much...if Booster has been using the sock with great success, well....

Most of the builds here get 85-100 microns pre-pump, and 10 microns post-pump.

Not sure why your pump would sound like it's running faster in run?

18. furious70

If it was plugged up, it should act goofy at both 12v and 14v I should think. I guess I need to crawl under there and see what the voltage is at the pump in those 2 conditions.

19. furious70

Well, the car had been dead for a 6 weeks or so, somehow the #12 power wire (start position I think) melted. Took the harness apart and it looks like it's been bad for a long time. I did go around the block with it b4 it died (while the site was down). Was surprisingly peppy off idle, as it should be with the rpm perf manifold.

So I eliminated the #12, batt, and field wires out of it, I don't need them with my 1 wire alt, MSD, and EFI. I tied the #11 and #12 (start, and run) together under the dash to give me switched 12v to run the MSD, EFI, and fuel pump. Only the trigger wires for the relays tie into that circuit, they pull power from the battery.

Also put in my 140mph cop speedo while I had it apart, and redid the mount for the radio. All for 1 bad wire, ugh.
    Now I'm back to square 1 and ready to tune, where I thought I'd be 6 weeks ago. Oh well, took the chance to tidy up and correct the rats nest of wires for the radio and gauge cluster power/lighting under the dash, looks more presentable now.

20. CW25

Sounds good. I am the same way being held up for 2 months waiting for parts and time.