1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Finally measured the backpressure of my 76 GTS

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Gt-358, Oct 13, 2012.

1. turbostang500

Very good to know! :2thumbs:

Good luck at the track.

2. Tgbstang90

Oh okay, the whole time I was thinking it was before the turbo VS after the turbo to measure if the exhaust was to restrictive. But its really to test the intercooler and cold piping to see how restrictive it is.

3. Gt-358

not to test how restrictive the IC and cold side is. I'm testing how much pressure I'm putting into the cold side vs the hot side pre-turbo. It shows how restrictive the exhaust housing/exhaust is.

4. turbostang500

Nope, it is to see how much pressure it takes (exhaust between engine and turbo) to create the boost pressure your running.

5. mcj50

Not correct, the flow capability of the turbine wheel and housing have a huge impact on what you see in terms of back pressure. It isn't a pure measure of "how much pressure it takes".

6. mcj50

checking pressure before and after the intercooler shows pressure drop across the core and shows you whether you need a bigger intercooler. I just had that problem with mine. Ideally you want to be watching both this, and back pressure ratios to get your turbo setup optimized.

7. Gt-358

Looks like it was the FPR causing the 3bar to read high. I wish I wouldn't of got greedy tonight or else I would have better data to go with that. I wanted a 8 BAD so, I um crank'd the boost controller up to high. The turbo does not like 29 psi, air temps went up but MPH only slightly did better.
    e
    But from what data I did see, the 3bar reads MUCH smoother across the range now. I'll post the graph later, but the AEM, 3bar, and Eboost2 all showed the close to the same PSI.

I didn't think I turned the eboost2 up that much, but the 19 psi runs I had it at 50%. First pass I cranked it to 85%, no good. It hit 32 psi and started blowing the spark out. oops, turned it down to 75% and it made 30.6 psi. Turned it down to 72% and it went to 29.4 psi. So 3% was a 1.2 psi drop. It's touchy in this range apparently. Made 3 runs, 1st one aborted due to breaking up. 2nd one spun badly, and 3rd one screwed the shifts up a bit and only ran a [email protected].

@ 29.4 psi air temps went from 89 at start to 169 threw the traps. Think I was just pushing it to hard to make good power tonight.

8. 302f150

Haha... only... sounds like a monster. Any vids of it running? Hopefully you got the issue nailed down now

9. Gt-358

lol, yeah only because it went 9.27 last week :)

Video from friday night, had my son videoing with my Canon HD camcorder, my friend using my Kodak Zx5 camera at the line, and my GoPro SD on the car :)

10. turbostang500

11. mcj50

You need a new mongo intercooler like mine...169 is a bit high.

12. Gt-358

Yeah, 169 is high. But I won't be pushing it that hard again, with the lower boost I was seeing ~150. Which is still higher then I would like, but if I change I don't know if I would go to another A2A or a A2W. I'm starting to lean to the just run E85 and don't worry about it.

13. Hemann

Found more info about this that you might like to know. The Fast sensor is 8-30 volt input with a 0-5 volt output. The AEM is 5 volt input with either 0-5 or .5 -4.5 volt output. Not sure which one.

I tried to hook 12 volts to the AEM type. I think it might have ruined the sensor.

Don't know why Fast would use a sensor like that when the other type is more common.

14. Gt-358

Sorry, if I wasn't clear in the earlier post. That's what I was trying to say, not sure why they used the 12v input based sensor instead of the 5v input based. Hope the AEM sensor isn't messed up for you. That's why I used the Pin J off the XFI since it was a 5v output to the AEM sensor.

Also the AEM is 5v input and .5 (0 psi) to 4.5v (100 psi) output. What I found interesting is even though it rated 0-100 psi, it did show negative when in Vacuum.