1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Finally made it to the track... 1/8 mile trip

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by mpi_duster, Mar 12, 2009.

1. mpi_duster

Re: Finally made it to the track... Several problems identified and fixed

I realized i never really updated this with that I've found. The first thing I discovered was several of the injectors either weren't closing or weren't firing correctly and as a result I had 3 fuel fouled plugs. I finally got good injectors in it and some new plugs and the car was running better hitting on all 8.
    However shortly there after I developed an engine stumble under light acceleration when it was cold. I've replaced the map sensor which help a bit, but the problem persisted. From Orlando to Tampa the car burned about 2 quarts of oil, seeing as it was originally a junkyard engine me and my dad pulled it apart. We found both head gaskets were blown (my uncle had had it HOT several times before I got it from him) and my intake plenum gasket blew out about a 1" section. Since we had it all apart we threw on my dads stock rebuilt heads and I gasket matched the intake.
    We've just changed the IAC but due to the lovely tropical storm over head I haven't been able to road test it. On top of that now the turbo I had rebuilt last year is pumping oil into the turbine housing. That's where the project currently sit though. I'll try to keep ya'll posted.

2. rdakota340

Re: Finally made it to the track... Several problems Identified and fixed

I know how it is when your chasing a bug glad to hear you have handled keep us posted.

3. CW25

Sounds like you are not having fun with it :bang: Good luck and I hope you get it sorted. We have all been there with failure after failure. Mine is still on jackstands...

4. Anthony Fury

Well, that all sounds sucky, but it sounds like you're weeding things out. Everyone blows up their first turbo motor, make no mistake about it. Some things you just have to learn the hard way......

How is your drain scenario for that turbo? I'd check that. Are you running oil restrictors?

5. CW25

Mine is still alive, it is the expencive engine that is on jackstands... :bah:

6. mpi_duster

Good idea, but the turbo drain is 3/4" straight down into the oil pan. I can't figure out the damn IAC issue. We've got a "mindreader" scan tool that allows us to view all of the data the engine is processing; coolant temp, IAT, rpm vs rpm requested. There is a test to run the engine through the rpm range via the IAC, but my IAC is responding to the test. Verified the test works on my dads '92 5.2l turbo ramcharger and it works immediately.

The problem right now is under load the engine stumbles the begins to backfire through the throttle body, but as soon as ur off the throttle it runs fine. Engine idles smooth as silk, no misfiring or any issues. If you punch it, it boggs down from 1500-2300 then at 2300+ performs correctly and runs up through the RPMs. If anyone has any ideas i'm all ears.

7. rdakota340

I would talk to Duner but it sounds like it is leaning out just PM Duner!

8. Duner

What have you done to keep the MAP sensor from seeing boost?

9. mpi_duster

nothing.... Map sensor is reading in spec according to the scan tool referenced against my boost/vacuum gauge it's dead on. What concern is there about not hiding boost?

10. CW25

Aside the map sensor failing and costing you a engine nothing much at all. Usually a check valve is installed to vent boost and seal under vac.

11. mpi_duster

Re: Finally made it to the track... 1/8 mile

Got back out to the track last saturday, it was cold out and the track wasn't prepped so traction was limited. With a best 60' of 2.39 I still managed to cut .6 off my 1/8 times from my last track outing. Sure grip, meth, bigger tires seem to have helped. Got 95% of the oil leak/consumption issue solved. The car pulls hard now, but I think my choice of tires has hurt me as much as anything at the track. 275/60 BFG radial T/As won't hook up at any speed in first on the street. Has anyone had good traction with this line of tire?

12. jaquetapus

From my experience, Radial T/As are rock hard. They look nice on stockish muscle cars, but don't do much in the traction department. They do last forever though!

-dave

13. turbofreek

Re: Finally made it to the track... 1/8 mile

those tires are junk for traction. you should have went with the firestone indy 500 series tire. very soft tire and can hook well if preped

14. mpi_duster

Ya, i chose those tires at the time cause the car was my daily. I was really hoping i was just bad at driving and someone had gotten traction with them.

15. rdakota340

Those look nice but don't hook and they do smoke nice on the street too!

16. turboplymouth

I've gone a 1.83 on those tires. I'd go right to a mt or hoosier drag radial

17. 2FAST4U2C

a 275/60/15 MT drag radial has been in the mid 7's in the 1/4 they work haha

18. turbofreek

technically kolivis went 7.30's on a 275 in another class setting a record for the class on a d-radial when i believe slicks are the main tire of choice.

19. patl

Worn out T/A's is what I bracket raced on. Used the old ones off my truck.
    1.84 60ft.

20. topfueldart

275 Radial T/A's should still be good for way better than a 2.39, my brothers Dart went 1.85 on 245/60/15's. Did you do any burnout? I'd try a few changes before just giving up and buying another set.