1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Faster spool and more boost

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 302tt, Aug 4, 2005.

1. mike wilson

valve - longevity

Well I don't know who all uses them, but I've seen exhaust brakes on class 5-6 trucks that HAVE to be durable enough. It's just a matter of taking that assembly
    and putting it in your header. Also, the local truck supply sells aftermarket ones new also.(Brake Systems if anybody cares)

2. dmoss69

subscribing

I wonder if this would work wonders for those hated remote mounts?

That is the intention of my setup anyway.

D Moss

subscribing

3. BOSs5.0

Re: subscribing

Very interesting..
    If we can find a good way to open the second half when it's needed...
    You still need to get the exhaust volume through the turbine at higher RPMs...

4. mkgearhead

Re: valve - longevity

I was just thinking about truck Jake brakes but you beat me to it. :D

The idea of splitting the scroll is interesting to say the least. It would be very cool if someone can come up with a reliable swing valve or something to use both scrolls on high RPMs.
    One concern I have with the original block off plate is the material used. I wouldn't want that thing melting or cracking with pieces breaking off into the turbine blades.

Very cool idea. :tu:

5. 034v

The block plate works great. I did the same thing to a T04B .60/1.15 single on a 302 before. Brought the spool time way down.

-Lance

6. blownvn

Did drilling the hole in the blanked side work at all?

It's a pity my Rajay has a single tang exhaust I sick of it spooling at 4000rpm but it's good to know that there is a fix if you stuff up your turbo selection or have a limited selection.

7. OrangeF150

Good info.

So has anyone come up with something for us single tang turbo guys?:D

8. WaterPog

yea, it's called nitrous.

9. b18b1ls1

10. turbofalcon

My 2 cents

Why not order a smaller turbine housing (for those who can) and go with 2 50mm wastegates for enough exhaust gas flow?????

11. turbothis

i figure if i filled up the turbine housing with parts of pistons it would make a smaller A/R.
    if i have a 1.32 a/r and i add 2 pistons what do i get? a .96?:p

12. mark360

re valve control

BOS5.0, theres a very simple way of doing what you ask, if its generaly accepted that ex man pressure will be higher than boost control the flapper valve from ex man pressure so that it opens a few PSI below desired intake pressure, this way the turbo will spool as hard as it can to build pressure then the valve will open before the choke point is reached, from there the wastegate takes over.

As to using jake brakes, are they even rated to cope with the type of heat generated by petrol engines???

and as for hondatech, maybe someone could post a link to this thread and few honda guys could try it, id be most interested to hear of a BIG turbo under 2 litre car spooling down low then going onto make big topend, would certainly make racing them a whole new ball game........

13. m j

a Jacobs Brake is nothing like this.
    Jake uses either the opposing cylinder intake cam lobe, or injection lobe, to pop open the intake valve.

PacBrake also sells the 'potatoe in the exhaust' style exhaust brake

14. mister_n2o

get developments guys

finally i can get some use outta my giant holset:D

15. mkgearhead

:doh: Ya, I was talking exhaust brake valve, not engine brake.
    Actually Jacobs does make exhaust brakes. http://www.jakebrake.com/content.php4?doc_uid=73

16. Rogue_Ant

Has anyone run into compressor surge issues with this?

Rogue

17. braxton357

18. mark360

interesting Braxton357, did you happen to also read the part about it being rated at 600hp and 60psi??

19. braxton357

Yeah, it's sold for diesels. A 600hp turbo on a diesel is around a 1100hp on a gasser.

20. Marbles

Pardon my horrible art skills, but do you think a simple version like this could work?

Expand expand the exhaust piping a little before it enters the flange so the exhaust gas is funneled rather than slamed against the door. Have a simple swinging door that can be pressed in towards the wall of the tubing with the right amount of exhaust flow like an integral waste gate. As i type this i think i am seeing a problem, but someone might be able to add on to it. Just a thought i had, still needs work. This is a great thread.

[​IMG]#ad