1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fading Forums

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by tbird, Jan 22, 2021.

1. tbird

Listening to Sloppy Radio show. Matt has Jay Meagher from Real Street on the show. Matt mentions how he learned so much from
    this website. Jay said he liked this site also. Not really sure either one know this still exists.

Kinda cool though.

91turboterror likes this.
  2. Disney Lincoln

denmah was last seen:

Jun 4, 2021

3. 64nailhead

I might be wrong, but I'm going to guess that many of the FB groups are going to fade only because of the repetitive questions and answers that are a daily occurrence. I followed e Holley page and Boosted LSX page that are becoming almost unbearable to get notifications from. Forums with quality information and knowledgeable adults will prevail at some point IMHO.

But I have been wrong before.

87turbonotch and Disney Lincoln like this.
  4. MACKAZ

I'm a newbie to this forum, find it very informative. I have 2 forums, this one and my car club one. Between the two my Facebook time is now a quarter of what it was.

B E N, TTF/Ken and Russell like this.
  5. B E N

Hopefully Facebook is dying, that cancer... people live their lives based on social media.

I like the forums, it has the intellectual side without the social media side. You learn about a person based on their knowledge and what they build and how they contribute not what side of their head they shaved or what their cat ate for breakfast.

6. tbird

I follow a v6 performance page on FB. Im not kidding when I say 2-3 times a day someone asks what they can do to their v6 to get a little more power without tearing into the motor or spending a bit of money.
    The amount of people that say the crank in a 4.3 gives up at 350hp but have never made more than stock hp is too much for me sometimes.

Billy L, 64nailhead and B E N like this.
  7. Drac0nic

Denmah has a forum for Sloppy, it's a subforum on a different board I'm on. It really doesn't see a ton of traffic either honestly.

I hope that the forum world turns around, I think that there's a lot of good you just don't get with the main stream social networks. Searching, "memory," community among them. I don't think it's dead yet but it's hard to compete with people who are basically digital coke dealers in a lot of ways; It's not that FB has a quality set of materials in many ways it's that it has a critical mass of people and a product designed to be habit forming in a way that's surprisingly dystopian.

8. alain

When I first started reading on this forum, it was still called turbomustangs.com

Wallace, 87turbonotch and tbird like this.
  9. tbird

Had to step away from the v6 performance page for awhile.
    Dude was asking if 93 was better for is his engine. Claimed is dad said is was bull and 87 was better. Some guys where agreeing. I let that go.
    Then there was concern of carbon build up on the pistons causing higher compression. Im pretty sure that would have to be drastic.
    Then it went to someone saying the carbon causes pre-detonation. haha. I agree, carbon can cause pre ignition or detonation.
    I explained the diff between detonation and pre-ignition and that pre detonation isnt a thing. I was pretty much told to shut up cuz I dont know what im talking about.

Dont get me started on the timing tables some have posted. They resemble lsx timing but on old school sbc chambers.
    And they wont go over 30 deg. timing at light cruise and wonder why the 4.3s dont get good milage.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  10. Russell

I don't know that I have thought about the difference much. Then again I might not know the exactly what they are,
    Pre-ignition = combination started before the spark?
    Detonation = when cylinder pressure is too high when the piston traveling up / trying to compress an explosion?

11. tbird

pre ignition is an igntion event started by anything other than the spark event. Also occuring at anytime which is pretty much uncontrolled igntion timing. Can be caused by heat so hot it ignites the mixture, carbon buildup, tune out in space, super hot inlet temps, etc.

Detonation is abnormal spikes in cylinder pressure during the spark ignited combustion event. Caused by too much timing lead, carbon build up, unburned fuel trapped in the quench pad area, too low octane fuel for the application,etc.