1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Downpipe size, wow what a difference!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by turbotbirds, Oct 1, 2009.

1. green notch

I have 2 sharp 90degree bends and then split into 2 3 inch pipes....but this is a t4 set up will it be as critcal with the smaller flange or will it be the same as a t6

2. 88MMrocket

very interesting.......my 5" is necked down to 4" about 3-4" after the turbo but I also have about 15" or so of straight before it makes any turns.........you guys have gotten the squirrels turning now.......

thanks for posting this John.

3. TexasTwins

I read on here somewhere a quote from a guy at garrett saying it's best to have a cone to a dp larger than the exit on the turbo is the best setup.

4. one eyed willy

hmmm....im in the same boat.i have a mpt70 on my 4.6 3v.my spool is horrible,i dont get full boost till 4k+ rpms. i was running a .8 exhaust,now im running a .96 with no help,just made my spool even worse.i have not tried dropping the dp yet.i thought about it but even if that does turn out to be the problem,i have no ideal how i could run even bigger pipe,kit was super hard just getting the 3" in there.

5. aussie-revhead

Wow, so the guys with T6 are supposed to have a cone out to a 6" DP ?

:doh:

6. 86svo

I would say yes to the larger down pipe on the t6 flange if its long and has bends in it.I would think that if its straight and short the standard 5 inch would be OK.

I split my t-6 5 inch outlet into two 3.5s,not enough room for a 5 inch bend with out "cheating" it.

[​IMG]#ad

7. MONTEGOD7SS

Ideally, yes. If you can't fit it then it doesn't matter, but if you can then go big!

One eyed willy, you reeeeeeeeally should just drop the downpipe and test it so you can stop worrying about that kit. Swapping turbine housings all day long won't make up for a restriction elsewhere. I bet if you drop the pipe and feel the difference you will be determined to find some way to get a bigger pipe in there..

8. 427notch

Tim, that is a very interesting down pipe you have created there. Is your car up and running with that set up now?

Brandon

9. one eyed willy

i hear ya.guess ill do that this weekend,drop it and see what it does.i hope it does the trick on one hand,and on the other hand i hope it dosent,lol.it going to ALOT of work fitting something else thru there.im sure it is the problem though, i have super slow spool with alot of back pressure.

anyone good in central florida who can make me a new one?i really dont want to do it this time....realllly!!

10. 86svo

Re: Down pipe size, wow what a difference!

Really close,realistically,it will be after the first of the year till I go on the engine dyno for numbers.The turbo in the pic is a t-6 flanged S480,with a 5 inch outlet.I also have a t-4 flanged billet 85mm with a 4 inch outlet with a aluminum 4 inch 90 that splits into two 3.5 pipes.

Tim

11. TeeJay

Jay Meger? I think thats his name...

12. Duner

Thanks for the info!

I'm still trying to push exhaust out of a single 3" full exhaust system. I'll have to really make an effort to go larger on the DP.

13. 86svo

Heres a pic of the other downpipe,4 inch into two 3.5s.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Tim

14. MONTEGOD7SS

4" into two 3.5"s, now that's what I talking about!