1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

DIY EFI TBI LOL

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 5.0thunder, Sep 27, 2016.

1. 5.0thunder

So this is where it's getting a tad fuzzy for me..

If you ARE using an ignition box like a 6AL, which I am, I can just use the white signal wire to pin 17 (WLED) for Micro or Pin 36 for Mega?

Or is my V3.57 Mustang PNP different?

If you AREN'T using a CDI box like a 6AL:

It looks like micro can directly accept the VR input at pins 32 and 33, and mega can accept at 1 and 24.

Micro requires no board modifications for VR input but Mega requires a jumper at J1 and JP1, then pots R52 and R56 to be turned counter clockwise 7 turns.

For outputs, micro requires an amplifier (ignitor) to drive the high current coil. Mega also requires an ignitor OR requires BIP373 to be installed in Q16 with a mica insulator and a 330R 1/4W resistor between IGBTin and CPU pin 7 (in order to drive the coil directly).

From the manuals, for anybody's information. Please check me Matt.

2. 5.0thunder

I think the above is correct, I just don't know where the MS is getting it's input with a 6AL and 2 wire dizzy if the dizzy's only wires are going to the box and the box only has 1 wire going to the output of MS.

Coil neg wire? Tach output of box?

3. Matt Cramer

Correct. Regular MS2s can be customized in a lot of ways, so you'll need to make sure of what exactly you've got.

4. 5.0thunder

Hmm, I bought mine from Power Adder Solutions from Corral. Do they assemble them to sell or just ship directly from you? I can find some paperwork or P/N's to figure it out. It's the MS2 V3.57 (looks like MS2357-C from your site) box that was preconfigured for 87-93 stock mustang with the PNP harness. It was sold before the G2 ECU's came out.

5. Matt Cramer

OK, that answers that - these were generally built with a BIP373 spark output and Hall effect input.

6. 5.0thunder

Hmm, did some more digging and I need to verify but the actual p/n might be MS2357-5.0-C if that helps. It is obviously supposed to be configured for TFI control out of the box so since the manual doesn't cover this specific model with that specific modification, I'm not 100% clear what has to be done/undone to run MSD 6AL with VR Dizzy. I imagine the output may be different.

7. 5.0thunder

For this TBI system though, after chatting with you and Phil, it sounds like Micro is the way to go. simple, compact, and can run the 6AL-VR dizzy setup easily, probably for the least amount of money.

8. 5.0thunder

Looked at some paperwork and it may be the MS2357-F8693.. Might be the same ECU as MS2357-5.0-C but i'm not sure. You'll have to verify. Googling those part numbers doesn't give me any legacy documentation since your site replaced anything with the newer G2 ECU's. :confused:

9. Matt Cramer

It is an MS2357-C with a specific set of mods.

10. 5.0thunder

Is there a diagram or short manual (even a section or article) that displays the exact OEM modifications for this part number? I can make assumptions based on what the general manual says should be done, then pop the case open but I'd rather have documentation from the OEM on that, if possible. Thanks @Matt Cramer; !

Regarding the TBI, Bruce from Auto-Nomics went on vacation so I'm waiting for his return to move forward with pricing and options. Looks like a $300 microsquirt V3 will be the way to go for control. The 8ft harness will probably be required if I leave the ECU inside the car but I've seen them mounted in the bay without much issue so a 30" harness is an option as well, leaving only the tuning cable routed into the car. Everything else would be contained in the bay, fenders, or cowl area.

11. ss496

Very Satisfied micro squirt user here....I'm using carbs as throttle bodies in my jet boat...do a search for Nordic jet boat and it should come up

12. 5.0thunder

Sick build man! Is it pretty easy to set micro up when you just have a few sensors to calibrate? I have a feeling it'd be pretty easy to get the tables cleaned up with TBI but I don't want to be too confident. lol

13. Matt Cramer