1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

divided hotside???

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by purple87lx, Dec 28, 2013.

1. v8lvo

Now for twins, I could see pulse pairing, as you are essentially plumbing two four bangers. As you state, in that instance the results would be dramatic. For a single turbo, the required plumbing sounds like a quagmire. So for a single turbo v8, is there validity to keeping the banks divorced?

As for the QSV, I believe it is supposed to be open at high vac, close when it starts to reach atmospheric, the re-open when it starts to boost. The restriction can be planned for to some extent, but its a valid point. It would be interesting to see a QSV and the supercharger bypass used together...

2. Selder

Yes. The results won't be as significant as they would be on a 4 or 6 cylinder but it will help spool a single quicker.

Steve

3. PrecisionTurboMustang

Mine is a simple divided v8 setup. I will dyno it in a few weeks and then try an identical but cut turbine housing. I will put money on the fact that a divided bank setup spools faster.

4. Holeshot121

If your turbine housing is divided, and your merge is more like one large pipe, when the exhaust gas hits the divider will that cause flow turbulence? Maybe that's where some of the spool is picked up on divided setups. The exhaust gases have a smoother transition into the turbine housing, therefore maintain more velocity? I'm just thinking out loud - I haven't even started my project yet.

5. v8lvo

If the manifold isn't divided, the piece in the housing is just a restriction. The idea is that you are sending two separate batches of pulses into two different entry points to the turbine. If you mix them up at anywhere it doesn't work.

@Precisionturbomustang, I think that would be an informative comparison if you can test them both!

6. 3pedals

keeping the hot side devided on a V8 will keep the volume of each side of the exhaust tract smaller than a non devided setup. That will definately speed up velocity through it and improve spool up