1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Denmah's 5.3 LSx Turbo Fairmont...adventures of the new owner.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by MBreinin, Mar 13, 2013.

1. MBreinin

I am making a run for the 8's, that is the goal. I am amazed at how easily I got it into the 9's on such a soft tune and no boost. Matt needed 22 psi and a 125 shot, on top of timing and lean A/F to get a 9.95.

2. TDmkr496

I'm putting a mostly stock 5.3 in my car for now, but eventually this is the direction I want to go, 6.0 with good heads and low 9's maybe 8's. Well done my friend.

3. akafred

looks fun

that video with your dad is laughs..

4. MBreinin

Couple pics of the action this weekend....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. BOOSTEDROK

I'm digging the black welds

6. Drac0nic

Low key for sure. That will be a beast turned up, 8s time!

7. MBreinin

Thanks. I am going for the steel wheel look. I think I will add some dog dish caps to them to complete it.

Yeah, next time out we are dialing it up. Doing it in stages to be safe, I don't want to blow it up. LOL.

8. jaquetapus

Looks awesome! Will definitely be a sleeper with some dog dishes!

9. motoadam

I like the launch photo, looks good.

10. Twin Turbo Skylark

Great project and the results speak for themselves! Killer sleeper!!!! Turbo LS engines are the way to go for sure!!!!!!!!!!

11. MBreinin

UPDATE:

I went to the track a couple of weeks ago and the goal was to crank up the boost and timing and see how deep we could get into the 9's without getting into the 20 psi boost club.

Well, I kept blowing intercooler hoses off, so I only made one clean pass. This was with 15 psi of boost and still 12 degrees of timing.

[​IMG]#ad

Inside the car:

&feature=share&list=PLS1toLF34WYmtV_MQ9v0MAYeh5oFZEwjy[/url]

Outside:

&feature=share&list=PLS1toLF34WYmtV_MQ9v0MAYeh5oFZEwjy[/url]

Judging from how easily this car runs mid 9's on soft boost and timing, I think the goal of 8's on a safe tune is obtainable. I will be out again this weekend for an event, and I will turn it up again. I am going to use some weatherstripping adhesive on the couplers. It was twisting the driver's side up really hard on the launch and pulling the pipes apart. I may need a torque limiter or something like that.

Mike

12. 89JYturbo

Cool. Thanks for the update. Is your bar legal for 9.50s?

13. yellowlt1ta

needs an adjustable sway bar. are you still using the water-meth?

14. racesloth

"hook like mad bastards" LOL - moves out for a family car...

15. chiaj144

I see your running c-clip eliminators with your spool. Are you still running rear disc brakes? If so what caliper mounts are you using? I need some traction, 135mph and only 10.47. I'm considering a switch to 3.55's and a 4L80E after seeing your results. Great job, looking forward to more updates.

16. bgjohnson

Slap a ratchet strap on it!

17. MBreinin

Hell no. That is part of a 6 point, which I have to finish and which is not legal either. When the car is going 8's, it will be even more illegal. I grudge race and TnT, so I rarely get called for it.

Needs and anti-roll bar. I have an air bag in it at 45 psi. Way too much roll. That is next. I am still spraying meth, but closer to 100% meth.

They dead hook. Love them.

Yes, I have C-Clip Elims. I have the SSBC rear brake kit. It is basically TurboCoupe rear brakes. The 4L80E allows me to drive to the tracks around here. Locked up in O/D at 80 mph I am turning 2500 rpm with a 28. It sucks power like crazy though, probably 25% minimum of loss through it.

LOL. It has some...they hold in the fuel cell.

18. MBreinin

Ok, so good news....and bad news.

Good first. We had a Street Car race yesterday and I was the top qualifier. I ran a best of 9.3 @ 145. I tapped into the 5's in the 1/8 with a 5.9 and I went as fast as 117.5 in the 1/8. Car was hooking and booking. I had a cell full of MS109 and I gave it some timing (up to 15*), some boost (18 psi) and let Leroy eat.

Bad news. On the last pass I felt it nose over and get a bit rough about 1,000 feet out. I was 5 mph down on a pass that was destined for the basement of the 9's at close to 150. Idle was off too. After getting home, I pulled the plugs and found this bastard:

[​IMG]#ad

Compression test reveals this hole has 90 psi. The rest are in the 130-145 range. So, we have an issue. Melted piston, smoked HG, bent valve from the porcelain from the plug. I don't know. I will pull the passenger side head and take a look this weekend. It was a hell of a run though, with a nice wheelie on a 1.38.

http://youtu.be/mIBt2QEa4fc

19. kyle86

Dang dude that sucks a little, but hey you are gettin so close to 8s it's not even funny!!

I know you'll slap that bitch back together in no time. Make sure you post a pic so we can see what happened!

20. rockoosi1

Okay, are two of these cars on the build board now? I'm getting confused as to which car this is now...lol