1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Denmah's 5.3 LSx Turbo Fairmont...adventures of the new owner.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by MBreinin, Mar 13, 2013.

1. MBreinin

I am only re-doing things because I blew it up and had no choice, LOL. I was more than content to leave it well enough alone and just enjoy it. However, I broke a ring land on #5 almost immediately and then broke the rear end. I am not quite as enthusiastic about wrenching a Matt is, so I tend to try to fix things once and call it done. The forged 6 liter actually came from Matt as well. It has just been one upgrade after another trying to get it right. Hopefully it will get there soon.

Mike

2. bgjohnson

Well when you put down big power, there's just stuff you can't avoid.

3. MBreinin

Very true.

4. stangman9897

Looking over that cracked up dash pad doesn't bother you, I would hit a pick a part for one.

5. MBreinin

Not really. If I came across one, I would pick it up and change it though.

6. bgjohnson

Dash cover!

7. kyle86

X2 on a $30 dash mat.

Hey I gotta say I am just completely amazed that the engine ran as well as it did with broken pistons and still put down so much power. You would think after a crack like that it would only take a few revs to wreck evrything else. It never ceases to amaze me what an engine can tolerate and still run let alone run well. Would the block need bored/honed? Or does it still look ok?

8. MBreinin

Three of the rods were bent as well. The block could have used a cleanup with a ball hone. I sold the whole mess of it to a local who needed parts (his machinist discovered the bent rods). I also had a full set of stock replacement pistons. Looking back, I should have just slammed the Wiseco JYD pistons in there with a fresh set of stock rods and been done with it. The car was well dialed in and worked. It has been a long process getting it back to working as well as it did before, although it is a good deal faster now (and my bank account is a good bit lighter as well).

Mike

9. MBreinin

10. MONTEGOD7SS

You need a pair of these.

524911_437311019612659_1351221763_n[1].jpg #ad

524911_437311019612659_1351221763_n[1].jpg #ad

11. MBreinin

I have 10 holes, but they are not narrowed and widened. I would love a set, but I won't pay the absurd price to have them made.

12. 89JYturbo

It bent three of the LS2 style rods!? I know Denmah was having trouble breaking pistons/bending rods before he sold it. Have you ever heard of the problem with the truck coils with the built in heat sinks (sometimes refered to their AC DELCO # D585) sparking too early (spark scatter), before commanded to fire by the ECM? Apperently these coils have a built in current limiter which will cause them to fire the plugs way to early under certain conditions. The strategy is used to save the coil from excessive current, but the irony is it can destroy the engine! The apperent fix is to be very conservative with the dwell settings (use the same setting GM did in the OEM tunes). Just something to think about.

13. MONTEGOD7SS

I see he hasn't answered yet, but yes he originally had the heatsink coils and has since switched to non-heatsink ones.

14. kyle86

What is a safe dwell forthe truck heatsinc coils?

15. Drac0nic

Glad to see she's back together. I bet you really pick up with the new setup, more CID, tighter converter, new turbo and a few small tweaks. I bet the people who made this car and the people who owned it previously never thought it would have a life this wild.

ED:

If you hit 8s, this could be one of the first cars to make it to the hall of fame twice under 2 different people. That'd be out there.

16. 89JYturbo

Did he switch coils for this reason? Did denmah switch them or MBreinin? Where they switched before or after the last breakage? I'm wondering because I was planning to use those coils, and now I'm a little worried about them.

17. kyle86

Dude those are the hottest gm coils and from what I've read they're awesome. Evidently you just have to make sure your dwell is set correctly.

18. MONTEGOD7SS

Michael is the one that replaced them trying to fix a loss of sync issue with the crank sensor. The dwell issue was brought up, but wasn't the main reason they were swapped. This all went down in the Facebook group for sloppy mechanics.

19. 89JYturbo

Thanks. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I did want to bring it up, just in case it was still an issue. Didn't want uncontrolled advance torching his built motor.

20. MBreinin

Missed all the coil stuff, sorry. I had two sets of heatsink coils on it, now I have the later style truck coils. It wound up being my CPS harness that was the issue, so I should have kept the heatsink coils. Either way, that issue is solved.

Moving on, got the car into the 9's this weekend on what is essentially the WG tune. 13 psi, pump gas, 10.9-11.0 A/F and 12 degrees of timing. Cut a 1.49 60 foot, leaving on 3 psi on the new M/T ET Pro 275s.

Now it is time to ramp it up.....

&feature=share&list=PLS1toLF34WYmtV_MQ9v0MAYeh5oFZEwjy[/URL]