1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Denmah's 5.3 LSx Turbo Fairmont...adventures of the new owner.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by MBreinin, Mar 13, 2013.

1. MBreinin

[​IMG]#ad

Ready to go in. This is an LQ4 with Wiseco pistons, Compstar rods and a custom cam and matching BW S480.

2. TDmkr496

Are those G8 manifolds??

3. MBreinin

Yes, they are.

Mike

4. denmah

yes G8 manifolds, and i did open the ring gap to 32 on the top and bottom of all those pistons to rule that out.

that new motor is fuckin pretty hahha

5. MBreinin

Fortunately all the pretty stuff is on the inside. It basically looks like the 5.3 did on the outside, LOL.

6. reef

i see 8.90's in the future!

7. MBreinin

Houston, we have ignition....

&feature=share&list=UUECPEzGAKEB4O9G3T-ImoFA[/url]

8. Twin Turbo Skylark

Cool project!

9. rick4106

We run at No Problem and Gulfport. Hope to see it in person.

10. MBreinin

I run at NPR, SCR and sometimes GP. I am sure you will see it out there at some point.

Mike

11. MBreinin

Converter is back from UCC. Should be in today or tomorrow. Hopefully, this will make this sucker spool.

Mike

12. Justin66

Cant wait!

13. MBreinin

Update Time!!!!

Ok, the converter came back from Lenny last week and we got it in. We wanted it tight, since the car was blowing through it before, and he delivered. It is about as tight as a drum. Did not wind up with any additional flash, unfortunately, but I will never need to lock the converter under WOT again. The downside was it actually slowed down my spool a bit.

So, I figured it was time to finally address the hotside and the merge. If you have been following this build, you know that the merge was the subject of some controversy. However, it worked great with the 5.3 and the Magnum. With the 6 liter and the S480, it was not working as well. So, I figured I would try a fully divided setup and see if that helped. This is a sizeable turbo to get moving, with a 96mm turbine wheel in a 1.32 housing.

Here is what we ended up with:

[​IMG]#ad

Response is much improved with this. Not only am I seeing boost 500-600 rpm sooner, but it comes up to full boost quicker. I think with some more tweaks, we are going to be golden.

I took it out yesterday for some testing, here is the video:

http://youtu.be/FWznYNXyGDw

Overall, it is getting there. I thought this was going to be an easy swap, but I have wound up having to re-do so many things that it is more of a full re-do. Either way, I think we are close to finished here. Hoping to get it to the track soon.

Mike

14. bgjohnson

Looking better and better everytime you post a vid.

15. MONTEGOD7SS

What kind of flex is that on the left?

16. MBreinin

I am not sure where Matt got those. I have two of them, one at each manifold.

Thanks!

17. chiaj144

Pretty sure I read a post where he said the flex came off his g8.

18. MBreinin

They are G8 manifolds for sure.

19. MONTEGOD7SS

Ok, now looking up G8 manifolds that definitely makes sense. Thanks guys.

20. kyle86

Nice videos and pictures!!! Also thank you for explaining things as you go I've enjoyed followng your thread!

What I find most interesting about previous owner's project was how he totally defied what "should" be done, and instead proved how well things can work just gettin slapping shit together.

I also like how you are redoing things "right", and showing what the real potential of this setup is. Glad the car wound up wth you and you are continuing the journey. Looking forward to reading more of your thead. Keep up the good work!!!!!