1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Denmah's 5.3 LSx Turbo Fairmont...adventures of the new owner.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by MBreinin, Mar 13, 2013.

1. MBreinin

The smoking issue is the return line backing up. It is backing up because the crankcase is getting pressurized from a cracked ring land on #5. So, it is not the turbo that is the issue, it is the piston. :sad:

2. craig6.9diesel

I love that dad video as well. My car is NA with heads, cam, intake and 4.10s. When I took my dad for a ride he said damn, I think this thing would run my goat! lol. Made me smile cause thats what my dad compares everything to, his first car was a 68 GTO 400, 4 speed.

3. Nice Chevelle

Good stuff man. Love the father vid too. How do you get away with the car not having a roll cage?

4. MBreinin

My first car was a '65 GTO with a 4 speed.

They really didn't tech me at all. The only time I have been warned was the first time I took it out, I was told to slow down or go home. I went faster next pass, then went home. LOL.

Mike

5. Twin Turbo Skylark

What rear end gear ratio in this car? I love it! Killer sleeper!

6. MBreinin

Mike

7. MBreinin

More fun....

&feature=share&list=UUECPEzGAKEB4O9G3T-ImoFA[/url]

&feature=share&list=UUECPEzGAKEB4O9G3T-ImoFA[/url]

8. bgjohnson

When are you planning to pull the engine for the rebuild?

9. MBreinin

Phase II begins this weekend.

10. reef

this car is legendary...love it

11. MBreinin

12. rockoosi1

I had the same problem on two pistons in my LQ4. You are doing waaay more than I did. I just pulled one head, changed the two pistons and picked up where I left off. How much boost were you running when it let go?

13. Forcefed86

Previous owner opened up the ring gaps quite a bit on those right? Just wondering if we can finally rule out the rings butting as the cause of this. Its gotta be detonation. I dont see the Racegas or e85 guys have that issue at those power levels. Do you use 100% meth or meth and water? May want to consider upping the alky inj Nozzle size w 100% meth if your sticking with pump Gas.

14. MBreinin

This was not from butting, this was from detonation most likely. It was Prestone washer fluid, which is less than 50% meth.

Well, I took it all out because I am doing some upgrading. It popped on 13-14 psi. It popped the very first weekend that I owned the car, the first time I put the hammer down with sticky tires and it hooked up...I just did not realize it at the time. As time went on, and signs of a problem began to show up (volcano out of the breathers, oil return backing up, oil mist in the engine bay) I started to figure it out. I rocked the car, as is, until I wasted the drag radials. Every pass I made at the track, was with this popped piston. I still went 140, so I think that is pretty good! LOL.

15. rockoosi1

Did you happen to log the run when it broke that piston? I'm curious about IAT, AFR or if any knock was detected? when I broke mine it was with the stock MAF so when I put it back together I switched to SD. I've been running about 10 pounds of boost for the past year with just the intercooler but I'm thinking of using my meth injection and turning up the boost on pump gas and was just wondering how far I could go.

16. MBreinin

No, to be honest I have never datalogged the car. I have run around with my laptop hooked up and my son monitoring it, but I have never actually logged a run. The knock sensors are not hooked up on this car. 13-14 psi is wastegate, so that is as low as it goes, LOL. I only popped this one piston. Matt would typically break 2-4 at a clip. This piston was damaged prior to install, missing a huge chunk of skirt from the opposite side, but it had been in since Matt dropped in the Gen IV stuff, and had outlived other pistons. Who knows why it went.

Mike

17. rockoosi1

Cool! Good luck with the rebuild.

18. MBreinin

At this point it is a little more than a rebuild, LOL.

19. MBreinin

Oh, my....what is this????

[​IMG]#ad

20. TDmkr496

Man that's nice, what did you go with for pistons and rods? Did you stick with the same cam?