1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

CXRacing Turbo Kit Purchase

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by juniorkv, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Turbo-Box

I had to grind my flanges for plug clearance also.

2. juniorkv

Thanks for the feedback guys. I removed the passenger side header tonight and will take the driver's side off tomorrow night and send them down to the machine shop for clearances to be made. Sucks 'cause I had everything on and was ready to order my MSPNP2 and get the downpipe back on after wrapping and sealing.

Oh, and Meowmeowmeow, I did order a turbine heat blanket but it was a little too large. So I am going to order one for the .96ar instead of a T4 blanket. The wrapped DP and turbine blanket should be enough to keep heat off the charge pipe, right?

Second day and no response via email from CXRacing. This is the first time that I have not received a response from them. No too happy about that, but thankfully I've got the good knowledge of this forum to rely on.

On another side note. I will be removing my stock valve cover and cutting the oil fill tube to reduce its height (it is causing a minor clearance issue for the charge pipe as it relates to clearance for my Contour electric fans). i would get different valve covers, but the only ones I like are the solid blue ones that say Ford Racing on them and they are the tall series which won't clear my upper intake. I can't add the plenum spacer until I go with my fiberglass heat extractor hood a little later.

3. juniorkv

So I got my headers ground down for plug clearances. Everything is back together, heat wrapped, coated etc. Went for a first fire tonight and can't get the fuel pump to prime. FML, fuel pump worked fine before I started the install. Checked my dead switch in the trunk and that appears effed. So I jumped the plug and still no dice. Going to have to pull the pump and see what's up with it.

Regarding the kit, everything lines up, clearance etc. from the headers to the inter cooler to the y-pipe. I was able to reduce the height of the oil fill tube and now have no clearance issues for the charge pipe.

Things I still need to do: relocate the battery or buy a miniature battery; plumb the vacuum line for the boost gauge through the firewall; mount my electric fans;

4. 92LX-5.8

Hate you have run in to all the problems, does make me glad I built my own kit. I would think it is very frustrating having to move everything around to fit a "bolt on kit" to your car. Hope it makes some good numbers for you.

5. Turbo-Box

My only real gripe with this kit has been having the grind the header flanges for plug clearance and the crossover pipe. I'm still driving mine every day, no problems so far....

6. juniorkv

I replaced my fuel pump with a Walbro 255 and also added a new sending unit. She fired right up once the new fuel pump was in. Problem is that the boost gauge (Autometer Cobalt) is only registering vacuum and no boost. I'm not sure where the problem is at this point. The wastegage is not venting exhaust and the BOV doesn't make any sound when I come off 4k rpm to closed TB. The compressor wheel is spinning. I have no leaks in the cold side plumbing either. I don't have the car tuned right now but shouldn't I be making boost regardless? Any help is appreciated guys, thanks!

7. Turbo-Box

are you just free revving it? A turbo works based on engine load. If you aren't driving it around and putting a load on the engine, then it's not going to make any boost.

8. juniorkv

Ah, yes, car is still in the garage, dont have fans hooked up and a few other things to finalize so not driving it right now. so yes, just free revving it right now.

9. Uglystang

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct place, but if you are running a cx racing turbo header beware ,
    I purchased there twin turbo hotstide first set of turbos were t3 gt35 on sbf. I realized real fast they were not big enough then I went to t72 t3 still had a heating issue so I changed to some big Borg Warner t4 turbos and cut my headers up to fit the t4 flanges on and discovered they use pipe inserts when they are butt welding 2 pipes together #5 primary was 50% covered by this excess pipe and number 1 cylinder was 25% covered once I get some time I will post pics on a cx hot side thread just be careful your not melting pistons or or heads from these headers as it was not just this set my first pair cracked, they sent me a new pair no question since it was within 1 week of purchase. After I discovered blockage I grabbed the original cracked pair and opened them up and it was the exact same crap, so if your a cheapskate like me just convert a pair of shorties like I just did otherwise your going to cook engine not if but when again thats with the cx racing twin turbo hot side. Check your cx headers with a bore scope I'm certain you will find crap like I did.

10. juniorkv

I ordered a MSPNP2 this week and should have it tomorrow! Also got a wideband with controller from DIY. I should be able to get the cpu installed next week and hopefully have the car on the road for some tuning!

Also, the stock upper radiator hose won't work, neither will the SN95 hose. I can however, use the hose and run it out of the upper inlet to the radiator, then get some aluminum or otherwise pipe and create a solution to bend down and around the charge pipe and then up to the neck with hose again. The charge pipe isn't blocking the radiator inlet, just blocking the pathway of the stock hose. I just need to get creative with the routing and pipes. I've got my fan shroud brackets cut up and need to get them to a welder and I will have my electric fans, in the Contour factory fan shroud, mounted to my radiator. clearance between the shroud and the charge pipe is REAL close, but it will work.

I will put some pictues up as soon as I have a chance, once I have the fans mounted. I'm in the middle of moving to a new house, so I've got all of that going on right now : /

11. Alamogt

Just read through your build. I was curious how this kit would work out after reading about some of the MM&FF articles about it. Any updates?

12. juniorkv

I have the kit installed and the car runs (enough to drive onto a trailer and then off during a move). I have not driven it yet as I am converting to electric fan and trunk mount battery and have not finished that yet in addition to installing the MSPNP2, boost gauge, and Wideband. I also have to trim the nose to clear the intercooler on the bottom. I recently moved and have not been working on the car :/

13. Lassen2O

Hey i just recieved my cx turbo kit today and it had no instructions and was also missing bolts just wondering if you had the same expieriance

14. juniorkv

My kit didn't have any instructions except for a one pager regarding the turbo itself. I was missing one or two silicone connectors and a clamp or two. I called them and they had no issue sending what was missing. They did caveat that with a request for all of my missing stuff as they would only supply missing parts once with free shipping or something like that.

On a side note, my headers were messed up. The bolt holes were too close to (or the tubes weren't crimped enough) the tubes and I couldn't get bolts in straight when I was hanging the headers. I was using the small head ARP bolts too. They ended up sending me a new set of headers, which worked. THEN, once I had those headers installed and all of the hot side piping run, I went to put spark plugs in and couldn't clear the flanges of the headers. So I had to take them off and have the flanges notched by a friend who had the equipment to do that. I think there are pictures earlier in this thread of all of that. I think I covered all of the issues I had with them in this thread, at one point or another.

15. David Smith

Is it running and how well?

16. juniorkv

Not running at this time. I encountered an electrical problem when i moved the car (I don't believe it has anything to do with the turbo kit). I'm pretty sure I found the wire that ended up grounding out, but it messed up my blinkers, wipers, and fuel injection relay (at least i hope that's the problem). I also haven't installed the megasquirt or anything else I need to finish up. I have been slacking severely but hope to be working on it again real soon.

17. 67crazycat

Got the twin kit. Can't wait to see how your build works out.

18. Josh Kinzey

Am I reading this right, has it been 2.5 years that you've been working on making this kit work?

19. TwinTurbo90

I have personally seen and worked on a few cx racing kits and am now currently putting together their twin turbo kit on my 1990 gt. While these kits are not high dollar kits they can have their uses and can be beneficial to someone on a budget. Most of the bad things I hear about them are from people who have never actually seen or used one of their kits. While the quality may have been questionable to start with they have gotten a lot better with time. These kits can usually be purchased cheap also due to so many people buying them and selling them before they are installed due to hearing people tell them they are crap. I purchased my full twin kit for $400 recently. 2.5 years working on getting the kit to work its not due to the quality of they kit but due to this gentleman's time constraints. I installed my twin setup over a weekend.

20. Mrich0908

China isnt the underdeveloped country every one thinks it is. The worlds largest AMERICAN corporations are in china. Names most wouldnt believe
    Im a cnc machinist by trade. Some of the worlds most advanced robotics cnc machines come from china. The problem really lies with cheap Americans . Spend an honest dollar and you will receive a quality product. How does any one expect to buy a part and have it shipped across the world for half the price?
    If put many Chinese parts on my surface plate for inspects. 99% of the time there with in tolerance. I have a set of Chinese heads and turbo both with in .0005 tolerance.
    Ive had more problems with the american mad headers and turbo flanges. There never machined flat after tig welded. It looks like they put the flanges on a belt grinder.