1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Change in Plan! Need info on A.R.

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by CUUDAK, Oct 20, 2010.

1. CUUDAK

Saturday Night Special.....
    Its my toy that will be driven mostly on the weekends.
    1968 383 Formula "S" Fastback Barracuda 3000lbs listed on the title.
    Right now has a 833 4 speed with 3.91 8 3/4 Sure-grip. I have 2 other gear sets/chunks with a 3.55 and a 3.23 gear. Gonna put the 3.55 in it and go from there.
    I may put a 727 Auto w/trans-brake and a 3500 stall later. My MoPar budiies have this stuff layin around.
    I have alot of Chivy friends around here and all are proud of their 6.50 to 7.00 1/8th S-10 pickups. I may want to go out to the track when they are there and rip them with a streetcar!! LoL!!Locally I have been quiet about this build. So who knows. I might be able to make some extra "Hobby" cash!!! :chacha:

Here is a shot of it before I put it in my shop and stripped it down and now is in bare metal waiting on AMD sheetmetal. I figured since I have to wait till Spring before the parts I need will be available I would start the engine build.

I hope it will be as fun as I have been lead to believe. I originally was going to stroke the 383 to a 496 and be done. Well, I started fishn' around the web and researched turboing and here I am!

The 400 will just be overbored .060... Should be around 9.5:1 compression with the open chambered 906's and the pistons .090 below deck... Maybe 9:1 with the -20 dish pistons??

1 formula s.jpg #ad

2. CUUDAK

I am sure you seen my truck posted earlier in this thread. It had a little comfort.

My Cuda now has a 272 dur 604 lift Lunati cam in the 440 I am getting ready to pull out. It is pretty badass. The guy I traded my Falcon for this Cuda screwed around with the center carb on the 6-pack and ended up cracking the main body. He drove it around for a while like this and when I got the car it had a thick black soot up the rear bodypanel from the exhaust. After I tore into it I found that he had washed the rings out due to gas pouring into the intake from this crack. He is a real life IDIOT!! The 440 has less than 3000 miles on it since it was rebuilt. Now it has to be torn down and reringed and possibly new bearings. The oil pressure drops to 28lbs once warmed up so that is more than likely worn cam and main-rod inserts.

So, the 400 build begins!!

3. Mad Dart

Leave the 4spd in it.............I would run the 3.23 gears in it also so when it comes on boost you can carry the gear for a longer period picking up WARP SPEED before you grab the next gear........that will be a RIOT with the boost to drive.

4. CW25

I like my 400 it is pretty responsive and makes more than enouph power for the street. It was cheaper than building a stroker.

5. CUUDAK

Thats the plan but you know how that goes!! I can't wait to feel the pressure of being STUCK to the seat... Will have to try the Dollar taped to the dashboard with any passengers eh!!??

6. CUUDAK

440 source has an ad in the new Mopar Action with all/any bigblock stroker kits for $1887.00 plus shipping. Thats a crank-rods-pistons-ring-inserts. Not a bad price ehh??

7. CW25

Yeah but I got good pistons and shipping with exchange at the time made it right about $3000 for the kit.

8. CUUDAK

Yeah,
    I have spent some money on pistons before!! My Falcon had Arais customs that cost me $1500 and another $1300 in Oliver Billet steel Rods for the stroked 460.

I think I am gonna go with the Ross Forged pistons since this is a Budget build somewhat and test engine. Once I achieve what I am looking for and am satisfied, Then I will be concerned with that stuff.

Quite honestly, after reading the article on the F2 Procharged 800 HP Pump gas 451 in hotrod that had stock block-crank-rods and KB Hyperutectic pistons I bet that I will be ok. I am even installing a girdle for added security.

9. CW25

Probably in reality I could have got away with less for pistions. I could only really afford to do it once so I spent some extra on them just in case.

10. CUUDAK

I have been tossing around the White VHT Ceramic paint on the top of the pistons. I have read mixed reviews on it. My pops swears by it???

11. Mad Dart

I know Diamond Pistons come with a gold coating on the top of the pistons made for Boost. Don't know about the other manufacturers.

12. CUUDAK

I think it is like a ceramic powdercoat. Didn't you use the VHT engine paint? There is quite a bake process for it..

13. Mad Dart

On the heads and engine I used Mopar Performance Street Hemi Orange. No VHT on mine at all.

14. CUUDAK

Ahh ok!
    I am painting mine back Turquois like the factory. Yours sure did shine!! Gonna use the VHT on all of the exhaust and headers.

I was expecting parts to show but all that came was the T6 flange for the Turbo!! Geeeeez, waiting kills me!! :doh:

15. moparjoe66

call eric at http://musclemotorsracing.com he has the best prices on ross custom dish pistons. also the 400 is the best factory bb mopar the bore is huge. that unshrouds the valves and make motor breath. i am building a 451 (400) mtr with 440 turned down crank. tell him joe shultz sent u. good luck

16. CUUDAK

Thanks for the tip!! Nice avatar too!

A couple more boxes came in today. Weld-up headers and the fuel pump controller

Hey Anthony Fury,
    Is this fuel system suffecient!!

I scored the controller off ebay brand new for $170.00

fuel system.jpg #ad

17. CW25

That is a pricey way to go but if you have it already it is good. :2thumbs:

18. CUUDAK

Yup!!
    Got it already.. An aquaintance that has the worlds fastest injected Foxbody hear in Houston sold me the pump and regulator right off his car. I watched him remove them and confirmed they are in proper working order. The controller was a lucky shot in the dark when it didn't sell on ebay I made an offer and he countered and BOOM, sold $170.00.

19. moparjoe66

cool stuff hope it all works out for ya. also found a article today that 451 mopar made 1425 hp at 6800 f2 procharger on 15 psi

20. CUUDAK

Geeez!
    I'll be happy with half of that!! LoL! Really, how much stronger can a Eagle crank be than the forged 383 crank. I read an article on hotrod that had about the same numbers. His street version had stock block, crank, rods a KB Hypereutectic pistons pushing nearly 800hp. I didn't see a girdle either. I am using Eagle rods, ross pistons and forged 383 crank all balanced and with a girdle. Hope mine lasts!!