1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Change in Plan! Need info on A.R.

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by CUUDAK, Oct 20, 2010.

1. CUUDAK

Yeah, I seen the Diamond pistons. Looking at the J&E pistons. Will let me machinist determine what he will use. Joe at G&G does alot of work here on 1/4 mile cars.

I thought about using the MoPar M1 but if this Torker 2 will work I will just use it!

My fingernails are gone, chompin at them waiting!!!! :chacha:

Tryn to buy the S480 in the forums classifieds. Waiting on more pics from the poster SLOW89GT!!

2. Mad Dart

We ordered up Diamond Eliptical Dish Forged Pistons with Tool Steel Pins at -33cc for my Small Block 410 that will have Iron Heads and 9:1 Compression.

We will be using a GFX ring pack, .047-.047-3mm ring pack with coated steel top ring and napier second.

Should work out really good especially for the price that I paid...........$1310.00 for the Pistons, Pins and Rings. OUCH!!

If you need Custom Pistons, you better get going on them. The wait is 3-4 weeks lead time!!

3. CW25

Mine were custom and I think it took 4 weeks... :cheers:

4. CUUDAK

Guess I shoulda turbo'd the 440 that is in the Cuda now! Woulda been easier but I guess that would have been no FUN!! :doh:

5. CUUDAK

Update!!!!
    Got a call from the machine shop and was advised the 383 has a 5 inch crack on the outside of the block.. SCRAP!!

I made a deal on a S480 Turbo with the .83 turbine and the 1.10 housing... Question, will this Turbo be big enough to be used on my 440 that is in the car now with the 1.10 A/R housing??????

6. CUUDAK

COOOOL! My good friend has 2 1967 383 blocks. Gonna pick one up and get it to the machine shop to be tanked and Magna-fluxed to confirm its usable..

7. turboplymouth

Yup! Especially with an auto and decent converter.

8. CUUDAK

Ok,
    the 383 is no longer an option! Damn, 2 more cracked blocks. :doh: Soooooooo,
    I just dropped of a .040 over 400 block.. Crossing my fingers it has no cracks.

9. furious70

too bad you're way down there, got 1/2dozen here out of c bodies, all are probably good.

10. CUUDAK

I guess since it rarely freezes here no one used anti-freeze back in the day!!??? I just read an atricle on hotrod mags site that has a 400 with stock crank, rods and pistons pushing 800 hp with an F2 Procharger without any problems..

11. wantabe

yeep :eek: :eek:
    7000 stall... and let the trans button goooooooooooo............

12. dodgestrike

like i posted on fabo good to know you are going with a stronger block.

this article from 440source should clear some myths about "the earlier the better" and "thin walls". from the pictures and comparing my 400 to some 383s it seems that the later the better its a more accurate statement. :D

http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

you should start a build thread... :welder:

13. CUUDAK

As soon as I get the Turbo I will start a new "Build" thread...

UPDATE!!!

I took Anthony Fury's advise and have aquired quite a fuel system that I am sure will be more than I need with the S480 Turbo I purchased from a fellow member from the classifieds.

Aeromotive A1000 Fuel pump
    Aeromotive A1000 Boost reference Regulator
    Aeromotive 6303 Fuel Pump Controller

The 440 source girdle showed Friday.
    The cam showed up Friday too!

The rods should be here by the end of the week and I dropped off the 400 block today at the machine shop. Hope all checks out good and I can proceed with this build. This hurry up and wait crap is for the Birds!! :bah:

14. furious70

What casting # is the block? I don't have any 230's, but I do have a 630 that I'm holding back to use some day. It is def. beefier in casting design than a 383.
    What are the cam specs? How'd you order one so quick when you've been going back and forth from 383-440-500"? :p

15. TurboDakota440

The credit should go to the guy who actually wrote the article and did the research : http://www.arengineering.com/articles/articleframe.html

16. CUUDAK

I junked the block so I do not have the casting numbers for the 383.. If your talking about the 400, as soon as I get it back I will post it.

B and RB's all use the same cam! It is listed earlier in this thread. Scott Brown cam from Straightline Performance. I will use it for now and we have a place here in Conroe that grinds cams pretty damn fast. Less than a week.

17. dodgestrike

yes , i posted the source article because of the photos but in the source article they give arengineering credit.

18. furious70

Talking about the 400, and I know the cams all physically fit, but the grind would be considerably different for 383 vs 500" was my point.

19. turbocoronet

What is the car and intended purpose? The reason I ask is that your cam is very close to the one I put my 500" stroker. It worked fine and had no problem with torque at 2000 rpm but now that it is my 452" it doesn't pull till about 2800rpm. My coronet race weight is 4050lbs and has a tight 2400 rpm convertor which makes it lazy down low. Simply over cammed for the convertor and compression at this cubic inch. If you engine is a little smaller have a close look at your stall speed. Just an observation. Not judging. Looking forward to your build.
    My cam. 241/247 .545"/.545" 108 on 114 sep. My compression 145 psi range @ 8.9 to one.

20. CW25

Yeah that is a huge cam compared to what I run. LOL I like my cams little. :2thumbs: Mine is 224*/230* .540"/.545" 115 LSA Idles with about 14-15" vac. I thought about going more agressive but drivability is #1 for me. I get pissed off if I can't just walk outside twist the key and drive away no matter how long it sits. Although I should put driving comfort a little higher. LOL I have almost none of that. :stupid: