1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Car wants 40 degrees initial timing...

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Cpt. Slow, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Cpt. Slow

And that would double due to the crank sprocket being smaller

2. firebird_1995

Yes the crank gear is 50% smaller than the cam gear. I was wondering if you could advance/retard the cam 8.5° by moving the cam gear off a tooth from dot-to-dot. I guess you could verify it on the degree wheel.

3. Cpt. Slow

Did you use the cam somehow or toss it in the trash?

4. Chuck L

I marked the cam w/ an inconspicuous mark, sent it back. Got the SAME cam back...That's when it all went south.The next call was even worse..After the CC refund, he called, left a message to scrap it. I did, w/ a hammer.
    A footnote: I had run the cam on a Cam Dr, and had the plots, when I confronted him.:ahah:

5. Cpt. Slow

New timing set should be here tomorrow allowing me to advance cam timing to get to zero at least. Is it very common to see a cam 8-10 degrees off?

6. tbird

No. I think thats a lot. Some multikey way chain dont have enough adjustment fix that far off. Once you get it correct, ya might go check I/CL on another cylinder just to see if the cam isnt wacked out.

7. Cpt. Slow

I verified #4 is getting the same reading. It's in the back and 180* on crank stroke. All checked out the same

8. tbird

9. Cpt. Slow

The guy at the machine shop told me a story about a cam shaft he received that slipped in the grinder and the lobe location progressively changed from front to back so I made sure to check it was at least consistent!

10. tbird

Stories or life experience are what make me do weird checks on things.

A friend of mine bought an aftermarket block. Only option at the time and was the 4th produced.
    He's an engine guy. He built the motor, dyno it and ran it. Was always down on power and acted weird.
    He had it apart the next season and decided to check cam timing on each cylinder. He found the cam timing was off on one bank of the engine. Found all the lifters on that bank where machined at the wrong angle.

11. Cpt. Slow

Oops. Sounds like quality control was lacking during the early production phase of those blocks

12. Cpt. Slow

Got the new timing set. Used the 8 degree key. Ended up with an intake centerline of 105.5. I think that will work.

In the mean time, here I am just buttoning up installing the alternator.... then oh no! I forgot to torque the cam bolt after mocking up the new timing set. Well tomorrow's another day and another timing gasket set.

13. tbird

DOH!...

14. Cpt. Slow

Got it fired up. After all the messing with cam timing seems the valve train is being noisy. Obviously I couldn't check piston to valve clearance with the heads bolted on tight so tomorrow evening I'm going to check lash. If it's oddly loose we'll do some leak down testing. Bent valves will make the rockers sloppy I'm sure if it's a bent pushrod or valve.

hope i find nothing but a valvetrain I haven't been used to listening to for a while.

15. Cpt. Slow

Valve train checked out fine. Throttle response is much better. I need to register the car before road testing as well as reset the whole carb. It still wants timing at idle. 20* or so but I'll order my msd 6350 next paycheck so I can adjust timing everywhere.

16. tbird

17. Bad Medicine Racing

Do you have any updates, James May?