1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Car wants 40 degrees initial timing...

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Cpt. Slow, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Cpt. Slow

I expected it to be a slug at low rpm and no boost.

But the bog was so bad it would die. I.e. Shut off if you revved it up to 1500 and started slipping the clutch to leave a stop light like a normal driver.

2. Mnlx

Ok. If cam timing, and lash checks out, and afr's aren't all out of whack then some form of ign with an advance, and retard curve is about all that'll help. At 7" of vacuum it's struggling at low speed.

3. Disney Lincoln

Have you verified timing through the rpm range? When you say it's locked at 40, is it staying there? I had an MSD dist. kill a thrust and would move up and down and change timing as it crawled up the cam gear.

4. Cpt. Slow

I will be ordering an msd 6530 ignition box after cam timing and lash check out.

5. Cpt. Slow

I have verified timing is staying the same from idle to 3k

6. tbird

Just actually looked at the specs on that cam.
    Yeh, waaaayy too big for the application.
    220s @ .050 would be plenty to break the block
    definitely gonna be sluggish.

7. Cpt. Slow

Looks as if I will be pulling the front cover. Upon initial degreeing this evening it looks like the cam is retarded 6-8 degrees from spec. Would explain a bit of the low end issue.

8. tbird

keep us updated please

9. 87turbonotch

Great job so far. I've been waiting for you to get this combo going with the eBay heads. I know there are better options, but if those work and hold in the boost better than stock heads/gt40's they seem like a nice inbetween.

Looking forward to seeing what you find with the can. Keep up the good work.

10. Cpt. Slow

Well i finally tore into the thing. Cam is verified setup dot to dot. Degreeing will happen tomorrow or Monday.

11. Cpt. Slow

Degreed the cam quick this afternoon. Intake is supposed to open at 118* btdc. It's opening at 110* btdc. Intake centerline is supposed to be 106*. Getting 115* for centerline.

12. Cpt. Slow

I have a gear drive laying around that I plan to throw on to verify if it's the cam or timing set that is off. But so far it looks like it's 8 degrees retarded on the cam timing. No good...

13. Chuck L

If you put it together dot to dot, and it's that far off, I'd take a look at the cam itself.
    I had a Howards that had the locator pin off by 12*....Guy told me I was too dumb to know how to degree it. He got told to FO, and I cancelled the CC.

14. Mnlx

Don't trust the chain either, I used to find more than you'd think that were off the better part of 5* Sometimes you just get the tolerance of cam, chain, and block stacked, and it adds up quick.

15. firebird_1995

Gotta ask (I browsed through quickly but didn't see anyone mention it) you're not using an adjustable timing set by chance are you? The ones that have multiple keyways for different advance/retard....

16. Cpt. Slow

Put the gear drive on for mock up and got the same results. cam is either ground incorrectly or the key is off on the crank.

17. Cpt. Slow

Anyone know of a solution to advance the cam more than 8 degrees? I'd like to advance the cam 2-4 degrees if possible above factory spec so I need a timing set that will advance 10-12 degrees

18. firebird_1995

Well there's 42 teeth on the cam gear if I counted correctly. That's damn near 12 degrees per tooth

19. Cpt. Slow

Isn't it 8.5 degrees? 360 divided by 42

20. firebird_1995

You are correct, I went the wrong way with the math.