1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cam Knowledge Needed Please Read.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 1994snake, Aug 22, 2004.

1. 8urls1

im still wondering on my cam

here my cam card

itnake
    109.8 atdc centerline
    284 adv dura
    dur at .050 227.6
    lift 556

exhuast
    centerline 117.8 btdc
    avd dur 290
    dur at .050 234.8
    lift 598

lobe seperation 113.8

2. DASHIP

Seems like a reasonable turbo cam to me. What are your head flow figures? hydraulic roller? What is your vehicle weight and torque converter? Turbo size, boost? Have you dynoed your car yet?

3. 8urls1

yup im hopeing it works ok

just put it togther its a 4.125 bore 347 dart block for 362 cubes

8.3-1 tfs highport cnc ported 312 intake 230 exhaust

the new tfx box intake and im goign to put a ball bearing t-88 on it.

4. DASHIP

The only thing that bothers me about your cam is that it favors the exhaust a lot, but your heads don't indicate a need to favor the exhaust. Also, the lift could be more. Where do your heads sign off at? Around .650 lift? I'm assuming that it is a solid roller? Should fly.

5. GreyGhost

Here are the specs from my old N/A setup. Can I use this cam from before with my Turbo setup or do you all suggest I seek an alternative.

Lunati 51025 HYDRAULIC ROLLER

Power range 2500-6500
    284°/290° adv dur
    224°/232° duration @.050"
    .534"/.544" lift
    112° Sep

6. DASHIP

That link doesn't go to any cam specs. Please post them here or fix the link.

7. GreyGhost

8. DASHIP

Wierd... on my home PC your earlier post shows up as a link to Lunati web site. On my work computer it shows the cam specs...

Anyway, that cam looks pretty decent for a turbo cam, except I would like to see a little wider lobe separation. Other than that, it looks good. It is going to be a mid-RPM performer and would work with some decent heads. It would be a little big if your combo was close to stock. You'll probably need to spin your motor to 6500 RPM with this cam. It is a little big if you have a stock block.

9. GreyGhost

Let me see if this helps you with my diagnosis:

T-64E
    Victor 5.0 EFI
    Stage I Foxlake ported Hi-Ports
    Stock Block

Think I should get a custom grind? This will be my first experience with a turbo, sorry for the lack of knowledge base.

10. knkfiend

not meaning to steal the thread or anything, but i noticed a few of you know EXACTLY what youre talking about. so iwas wondering if you could help me out. here are my cam specs.

its a comp cams 270HR

Duration
    int 270
    ex 284

@ .050
    int 215
    ex 224

lift w/ 1.6 rockers
    int .533
    ex .533

LSA 114 degrees

my setup consists of ported performer heads, gt 40 intake, 331, and an hp stage 1 kit

the motor was pretty much together and ready for a blower before i found out how much COOLER turbos are so it is a blower cam, just wanna know how itll do. stock block so around 500 to the wheels.

11. DASHIP

GreyGhost, I think your setup looks pretty good. That cam is designed for mid-RPM, so you're gonna be spinning the motor a little to get the big power out of it, and will have less low-end torque. Over all, it looks pretty good though. I think you will be happy. The stock block will be your limit. Usually with a stock block, I would recommend a torquey cam that comes on at low RPM and spools up quick, but I think you will have fun. Just keep the boost down, and keep the RPMs out of the stratosphere.

knkfiend, your cam looks good too. It favors the exhaust, like GreyGhost, but I don' tthink it will be a problem. A turbo cam doesn't usually favor the exhaust, if the heads are balanced. It should be a turquey cam, and work well with your combo.

You guys can get a custom cam recommendation from cammotion.com if you register. A cam really isn't that expensive, even a custom one. I don't think your cams are too far off, so it is up to you. It is free to compare with Cam Motion, so why not ask? If you stick with what you have, I think you'll be fine, although not totally optimized. For another $200 or so you can get a custom grind. Not much $ in the scheme of things.

12. GreyGhost

DASHIP - I appreciate your help. I think I will go for a custom to get the most out of what I am currently equipped with. I don't want to spare any money that can be well spent. Thanks again!

13. GreyGhost

Alright, I scratched the custom option. It's either keeping my old Lunati as mentioned above or grabbing up a F-cam which I've heard nothing but good about with Turbo setups.

My current cam specs are:

*Lunati 51025 HYDRAULIC ROLLER

Power range 2500-6500
    284°/290° adv dur
    224°/232° duration @.050"
    .534"/.544" lift
    112° Sep

As I said before, this is with a Victor EFI Intake, Foxlake Stage I Hi-Ports, and a Stock Shortblock with ARP hardware. Any help is greatly appreciated.

14. DASHIP

I think the Lunati looks pretty good, except I wish the lobe sep. was a little wider. I would try it first. If you're going to buy another cam, get a custom cam. The Ford F cam will work well also.

15. 1994snake

Now that only one person has really responded to my post could someone advise me on my cam?

16. GreyGhost

Well it seems I didn't have the cam I thought I did.. :cool::rolleyes: Now that I know for sure, can someone diagnose what I really have to determine if I can use this thing or not, I'd appreciate it. :)

**Lunati 51014**

Power range 2500-6000
    284°/292° adv dur
    218°/226° duration @.050"
    .500"/.510" lift
    112° Sep

My engine specs are listed below:

17. GreyGhost

:stickpk:

18. 351Freak

sheesh...everyone wants you to just hand them the answer in an envelope...whatever happened to using your brain.

your cam card specifically says 2400-5400 rpm...I'd have to agree.

That's more Rpm than a stock cam...isn't it...it probably has a higher peak hp in that band as well...doesn't it...so why are you asking questions again...???

if your cam goes flat at 5K with anything bigger than stock...then you have other issues...period.

next...

BTW...I'm real partial to the K-Motion K800 springs...they have about 160 seat (hell yeah) and 400 open...they have eliminated all problems with valve float on a hydraulic roller up to 7,000 rpm...even on a small base circle cam...woot.
    Best of all...they're 80 bucks a set...

19. DASHIP

GreyGhost, that doesn't look like a turbo cam to me. It favors the exhaust. Looks more like a blower cam. I would put in a custom cam, or a Ford F cam. Cams are cheap, so why mess around?

20. GreyGhost

Thanks DASHIP.