1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Budget 4.6L DOHC build, yes there is such a thing...

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by yoteehunter, Feb 9, 2009.

1. craig6.9diesel

This thing is going to be NASTY!

2. valflyinf

Will this be your new DD when it is "finished"?
    Nice build. Kinda far out for me,im a newbie still, my stang only has wheels and a aftermarket air filter hehe but your a master fabricator/assembler for sure..

3. yoteehunter

Thanks, it wont be a daily but it will see allot of street time for sure. It couldnt be finished soon enough.

4. yoteehunter

Started cutting and fitting a cold side.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. yoteehunter

Started building the new cross member and mount for the lenco tonight. The first thing I did was build new steel mount bushings.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. one eyed willy

lookin good, when you weld in the maf bung, keep in mind it is not the same on both sides and will only go one way.......i made that mistake when i welded mine and had to take it out and flip it around!

7. yoteehunter

Today I installed my spark plug covers.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I also finally built my trans mount. A few issues I had was trying to keep the mount out of the way of the trans drain plugs as each one has its own drain. I had to move the cross member bar to one side of the bushings to keep the drain access.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Then I made the mounting plates and welded them on the new cross member. Here is the mount rough welded out, when I wake up I will do the finishing grinding and paint it.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. yoteehunter

I marked it so it better get in the right direction. lol

9. yoteehunter

Today I did the finish grinding on the new transmission mount and put a few weight reduction holes in the plate. I went ahead and painted it. I will install it tomorrow once the paint is good and dry. I also started tackling the trans hump again. Finishing that will be my next move so I can get the drive line completed. I'll get up pick of the hump later this week. Im not quite sure where Im going with it yet but for sure the new top plate will be used.

One thing for sure about the trans mount is you can tell it was hand torch cut and hand finish gind. Im sure a CNC plate would look better but for me and something under the car that will never be seen I figured it was good enough. I do think it came out good and I am happy with it.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

10. valflyinf

Looks pretty sturdy :bang: . You could even get it chrome coated just for THAT instance when someone will actually look under the car. Iv been wondering how you made those steel bushings that support the transmission mount. The ones that are all shiny and round. Also how did you just make gaping holes in that 1/2inch plate? What kind of drill bit was strong enough?. Just asking cause I had to redo a o2 sensor bung and figured Id buy a nice drill and got that yellow dewalt plug-in model and I got that titanium coated multi size bit that makes holes of all diameters, worked pretty well. Went through that pipe like butter...(thin exhaust hehe).

11. yoteehunter

:welder:For the bushings I drilled some holes in some 1/4" plate and then torch cut circles the same size as the bushing pipe (old roll cage tubing) Then I slid the plate and pipe into the bodys mount location put a bolt through the plate and centered the pipe by hand. Then I tack welded the pipe to the plate created the bushing. I then removed the bolt and bushings and welded them all the way around on each end. To clean them up I chucked them up in my old lathe and use a grinding disk and sanding disk on them as they were spinning giving them that nice rolled smooth look.

Well the plate is actually 1/4" thick so it was not to bad. I made the holes by cutting them with a torch and then fine grinding/shaping them with an air dye grinder and a carbide burr for steel.

The burr I have is egg shaped but this is the same thing.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900242/
    Its the same burr used for porting iron cylinder heads.

thanks!

12. yoteehunter

Today I installed my transmision mount.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. yoteehunter

My rear brakes came in so this afternoon I went ahead and painted them.

[​IMG]#ad

14. yoteehunter

Over the past few days I have been trying to finalize my trans hump. I came to realize that welding in that top plate that I made was going to be a bad move for several reason. With my original plan shot I started to come up with a new one. I ended up making a picture style frame from flat strap steel and setting it over the trans at the level it needed to be. Then I started filling in the sides and tied the hump into the floor board. After I welded it out I finish ground it out. I need to hit it with some good paint. Now I will take my top plate and cut it into a flat sheet and just bolt it on top of my new framed hump. This will make changing oil and pulling the trans a very easy task. It sharted out kinda shakey but turned out ok. The floors in the cars are everything except level.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here I had to block out a small pocket for reverse
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. 331StrokerStang

Looking good so far man! When me and you are done want to line em up?

16. yoteehunter

For sure!

17. yoteehunter

I have a big update on the way for this week. I have allot of stuff scattered and in the works so I will wait to post up. The big thing thats being finalized is all the cold side piping. I want to through out a big thank you to Aaron at Team Ironhorse for welding up my charge pipes. I do not have access to an aluminum welder so Aaron stepped up and knocked this stuff out for me. I had it cut and fit and within a few minutes he already had it welded out and it looked bad ass. The fit was perfect. I still have a few more pieces wich should be done in the next few days and I have set up a polisher to polish them out. I have installed a new all aluminum 2 row radiator and I am re-routing some of the hoses to make room for the down pipe. I am also completing the power steering re-route and finishing the down pipe. Installing the new UPR Anti roll bar and my drive shaft should be here this week. Im shooting for next week to start the tuning.

Here is the intake tube with blow through MAS housing its 4" DOM Aluminum.

[​IMG]#ad

18. yoteehunter

Tonight I got back on my down pipe. I finished the k-section and got it under the car and built a 4" in dual 3" out merge to run dual 3" side exits.

Here it is.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here you can really see how well that Dr. Gas piece fit for me.
    [​IMG]#ad

4" is not the biggest down pipe by any means but I still think I could build a house in it.
    [​IMG]#ad

Next I built the merge. Everyone has there own way of doing it. My way consist of cutting with a torch until I like the fit and weld the damn thing. I have seen people put pipe in dye and cut it perfectly with a band saw. This is good enough for me I wont be setting any records and I sure am not trying to re-invent the wheel

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

My dad grabbed a few welding photos and they looked cool to me. One right before the arc and one in arc.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

19. tony1959

yoteehunter the thing I like best about your build is that you are doing it the way most people in the real world have to do
    a build like this ie save some money and buy some parts work on it for a while then save some more money.

Well done young man.

Great build!

20. yoteehunter

Thanks! and for sure you are right. I have been buying needed parts as money permits and building what I can on down time while saving cash for stuff. Its getting closer, Im starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.