1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

blowthrough 6.0 LS, S480

Discussion in 'Dyno Results and Track Times Forum' started by 3pedals, Apr 29, 2013.

1. 3pedals

Lol, no it doesn't. I did get 2 days to put it around the block doing initial shakedowns, before another cold snap came.
    The learn function turns off anytime the throttle moves (Acceleration Enrichment), and guess what you do a lot of while driving a stick shift. .......
    I'm going to have to do a lot of the base fuel map manually.

2. H.P.Ranch

We want tuning video's like Denmah does for MS3, you can be the go to man for the Holley. This helps with the learning curve for us carb guys. So start posting some video's of the tuning your doing, thanks.

3. Turbwo

4. 3pedals

At this point I'm like a monkey fucking a football trying to learn to tune it, so no vids anytime soon. Lol
    But I am slowly figuring it out.

5. 3pedals

Lack of time on my part mostly

6. 3pedals

Chassis dyno today, got the fuel and some timing dealt with. Runs good now.
    BOTTOM LINE, EFI IS FUCKIN EXPENSIVE!!!!!
    Now that it's tuned reasonably well, I can tune it from here, but still spent over 600 for dyno tuning. Worth it, but I should have kept my CSU carb for the budget aspect.
    made less hp on same tune as the carb, but only a little less, so I'm not worried.

7. H.P.Ranch

Glad your getting her dialed in but don't feel bad, sold a 440 sbc with cast iron heads to a guy he thought he needed aluminum heads $2000 later he slowed down.

8. Bone

Awesome build, things a monster

9. 3pedals

Thanks,
    I am dying to get it to the track, weather killed me last weekend, and my next oportunity is june13

10. 3pedals

After some limited street driving, I am HATING the frickin EFI. the low speed drivability, and off idle is not great, and difficult to get right. Also, I cant get the idle to where I want it, and the boost controller function refused to work properly.
    It ran SO NICE with the CSU, that I wish I had not made the change at this point...........

11. 69-chvl

3pedals can you send me your tune? Curious to see how you have it set up. What injectors, 24/58x, and base fuel pressure? Wondering if my 6.0 tune would work for you as it runs perfect in my car. Admittedly, manual trans cars are tougher to tune.

12. 3pedals

yeah,I'm pretty sure that's the problem. Stick shift.
    my car has a 15lb flywheel and as soon as I start letting out the clutch it needs throttle movement. Therfore the learn has not been any help as learn is disabled during throttle movement. The 6.0 turbo tune I started with, was an auto combo, znd it's WAY lean just off idle for me. I'm trying to tune it manually, but free time is not something I have alot of.
    Send me your email and I'll email my tune tonight.

13. H.P.Ranch

Sorry to hear your having trouble, you'll get it worked out. If it was that easy everyone would go efi.

14. ducatibrian

Sticks are trouble even with help at times, tough to get the transitions smooth and make it REALLY drive able

15. 3pedals

did a "cruise to the track and run it like you brung it" event on Sat.
    couldnt get Holley boost control working, so I stuffed some 10psi springs in the wastegates. drove 1hr to the track, ripped off 4, 10 sec runs, in full street trim, with 28 x 12.5 et street bias(garbage), and full exhaust. Ran a best of 10.31 @135.
    Then drove it home.
    Overall Im happy with it. I've been complaining about the Holley, because it is truely NOT as easy as the blowthrough was, but it is working well. There is really only 2 major issues with it right now. Idle to off idle fuelling, and the non functioning boost controller.

efi to carb comparison? - the 10 psi carb tune up went 10.02 @ 136 compared to the 10 psi efi tune.... but the efi setup was on street tires(worse 60 ft) and through the street twin 3" exhaust. carb had open 5" down pipe.
    FYI the 10 psi tune made 600 to the tire on a chassis dyno when I was working out the efi fuel curve.

we shall see what more boost can do if I ever get the boost controller figured out....

16. slimbobaggins

For what it's worth, my brother in law put over 40 hrs into street tuning my 6spd GTO for the part throttle stuff, and I dont even have a big cam. It's a lot of work.

17. 3pedals

yup, a LOT of work.
    blowthrough with the csu was easy compared to this, lol
    I hope I can nail the tune down, then the added control of the efi will start to shine................SOON

18. H.P.Ranch

I read another guy was having same trouble as you and he ended up changing injectors to help with problem, think he was using 160's.

19. 3pedals

I finally got the boost control to work !!!, it was in the configuration settings.....
    I'm going to get some help on the idle tuning, I dont think its the injectors, they are holley 120's, not crazy big, and have a good reputation for good idle on gas

20. 3pedals

Finally got the car out to the track. Ran 9.57 @147. It took ~ 2.5lb more boost to run the same #'so compared to the blowthrough setup.
    I have the idle setup reasonably well now, and the transitions are decent too. Still more work to be done, but it is close to how good the carb was.
    Loving the data logging.
    I think the car will be able to go faster with more boost , but my home track has a pretty poor surface and it's not easy to get a stick car to make a clean pass on it, I need to leave very soft - ~2lb, and I need to ramp boost in over 2.5 seconds. Car still skates ALL the way down the track