1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Blow thru aircooled VW

Discussion in 'Turbo Sport Compact, 4-6 Cylinder and Import Turbo Tech' started by Bugula, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Bugula

2. Bugula

So what does one click on my Amazon boost controller give me? Without it I was at 5lbs. With it installed and turned all the way down, I get 11lbs. I guess I have to try one click.

3. Wallace

At the lowest setting it increased by 6 lbs? You can build your own using a check ball assembly from McMaster. I built one using the instructions linked below. It made very small increases at first and larger as the spring tension goes up.
    http://www.gusmahon.org/html/boostcontrol.htm

4. Bugula

Yeah, it must be bleeding significantly at zero. Maybe one more click won’t be 6 more pounds. It was like $8 for this thing. Here’s a pic. It plumbed properly the open side is the vent. On an episode of HotRod Garage. Lucky is using this same controller, but without the tee. So it probably wasn’t working.
    [​IMG]#ad

5. tbird

I dont know if that mbc will work correctly hooked up that way.

6. Bugula

I know it doesn’t look correct. But, I’m 99% sure it is.
    [​IMG]#ad

7. bbi_turbos

I've never seen them like that, usually it's plumbed inline, not T'd.
    Hose from compressor housing goes on one port, hose to actuator goes to the other.

It's a pressure relief valve, just a ball and spring and your increasing the pressure it takes to get to the actuator to open it.

tbird likes this.
  8. 65ShelbyClone

That MBC uses the same concept as a stock Ford 2.3T in that causes a pressure drop between boost source and wastegate, but I always thought the check valve designs were overcomplicated and worked poorly.

Ford used a bleed orifice of specific size and a solenoid valve to either keep it closed for low boost or open for high boost. The orifice can be replaced with a needle valve to make it adjustable. The original system works very well and has the benefit of reducing how much boost the WGA diaphragm is ever exposed to.

Bugula likes this.
  9. Bugula

10. Bugula

Why aren’t there any t3 eBay turbos? Their all t3/t4 hybrids. Would they be small enough for 1679-1776cc engine? I haven’t settled on the bore size, yet.

11. 65ShelbyClone

Y0u might find one small enough. It depends on what you actually end up receiving. Most of the Chinese resellers don't know anything about them and the specs listed do not always match what they're selling. Some are weird variations of small T4 compressors while many are close to a 57-trim, which is likely too big. Very few are exact copies of the Garrett sizes.

12. Bugula