1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Becca's '03 Mustang Build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by BFJ, May 27, 2010.

1. BFJ

Thanks for the compliments.

I got some new wheels yesterday. We didn't need new wheels, but I got these so cheap I couldn't pass them up. Plus I think New Edge Mustangs look better with 5 spoke style wheels.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I have them apart so I can repolish and replace the centers, I already had centers that I bought almost 10 years ago. We will probably go with the new Mickey Thompson Pro 5 front wheels.

2. BFJ

Polished one wheel today, got to get some new bolts and mount the tires. I hope these fit.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. 99TTGT

bad azz.!
    I wish I can find a set like that.

4. slow8.0

You are the MAN at polishing parts! What the hell are you using to do that? :2thumbs:

5. domn8rx

I'm wondering the same thing.

john

6. BFJ

I got the timing chain cover done. Having a small issue with the new wheels, not sure if they are going to work.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. 99TTGT

I will love to buy them from you if they don't work.
    what kind of issue are you having with them?

BTW
    the timming cover looks nice.
    what happen to the hole next to the cam sensor port & over the tensioner?

8. BFJ

The wheels I have on the car now have 3 1/2 inch backspace, the Monocoque's have 4 3/8 backspace. I might be able to get away with a spacer. I test fitted the wheels with no tires, and it is close on the inside.

I didn't need the bosses or bolt holes next to the cam sensor or above the tensioner, so I groud them off.

[​IMG]#ad

9. 99TTGT

gotcha

10. tmc4065

Did we get an answer for this yet?!? :D

11. slow8.0

:corn:

12. BFJ

Sorry for no answer. What would you like to know?

13. sn 95guy

everything i polish but not like that lol.. strippers,grits,tools used etc... lol

14. BFJ

I have alot of equipent the average person doesn't have when it comes to metal polishing. I polished a pair of Corvette controls arms this morning and took pictures whle I did them. Here is a small write up:

I start almost every polishing job with the belt sander, in this case, 80 grit to remove the parting lines:

[​IMG]#ad

ThenIi drop down to 180 grit to remove the 80 grit sand lines:

[​IMG]#ad

Thi it what it looks like after belt sanding:

[​IMG]#ad

After belt sanding I blend everything with a sanding wheel, usually 150 grit, then 400 grit:

[​IMG]#ad

After sanding with 400 grit I sart buffing with Tripoli compound and in this case a puple treated Airway buff:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I finish with a yellow treated Airway and green compound:

[​IMG]#ad

Before and after:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Like I said, I have equipment most people don't. You can do the same thing I just did with buffing wheels and abrasives puchased from your local hardware store. The biggest problem I see with people trying to polish stuff themself, they get in too big of a hurry to finish the part. They want to see the shiney and do half-assed prep work. Take your time prepping the part, and take your time buffing

15. sn 95guy

wow superior work!!!!

16. BFJ

We haven't got much done with the Mustang lately. My father passed away August 3rd and I lost a little motivation to work on the car. Becca started her Junior year and her Advanced Placement classes keep her pretty busy with home work. I am moving my business to another shop at the end of this month, which is gonna take some time and money. So, hopefully we can start bustin ass on the car over the Christmas holidays. At least now i will have a nice place to work on it, instead of my driveway.

17. 331StrokerStang

Sorry about your father man!Your in my prayers!And AP classes really do suck..But keep on truckin and you will get there!

18. jp1991gt

I've been following this build and after two years, I found the new edge I wanted. I got a black 2000 gt, I'm planning on a 393windsor eventually. Your thread is very informational and great pics! Sorry about your dad. I'm working on converting to manual steering but would like to keep the power brakes, we'll see what I can figure out.

19. BFJ

We're back to working on the car. I got the mock-up motor ready to set in.
    [​IMG]#ad

I picked up a set of '04 Cobra heads. Not sure if we are gonna run them stock or send out for some port work.
    [​IMG]#ad

I got a good deal on a complete rear suspension from Wolfe Racecraft. We don't really need the offset lowers and spring mounts, but it won't hurt nothing to run them.
    [​IMG]#ad

Just got a pair of "mufflers" from the fine folks at Precision Turbo.
    [​IMG]#ad

20. mayer5oh

Those turbos aren't near shiney enough! ;)

bridal-shoal