1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

B head Intake question?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by JIMS SVT, Feb 24, 2009.

1. stangman9897

B-Heads like long runners i thought. MMR Knows his shit cant wait to see it.

2. Turbo98

Yeah, I wish somebody would come out with a decent longer runner B-headed intake. The Sullivan looks nice but who knows when tht will ever be done. They make good PEAK power but with a manual trans, the lower end suffers and that's not what I want a street driven car.

3. boostedtorino

sullivan should be producing their b head intake by now I talked to him last summer for a friend of mine and they said they chould have it up and goin by now ... but havent called in a while

4. Turbo98

They've been saying that for years. Somebody else talked to them a couple months ago and Sullivan said it would be another year. Can't really rely on that option if you want one anytime soon.

5. Excessive Motorsports

From what I understand, B-heads like RPM. The stock intake runners are too long and too restrictive to allow for the amount of RPM they like. Cutting the runners, porting the intake, and deleting the IMRC's can help out and let the motor rev higher. It will also move the torque curve higher and some low end will be lost. Now if you were driving a manual trans centrifical car, I can see where low end is an issue. But on an automatic turbo car, I think it is worth a little low end loss, for some top end power. After all, when are you ever under 5K when you are racing???

6. Ten5TBird

That's about as short as you'd want to go, Jim.

Yoteehunter........Mihovetz is right about the longer runners. B heads or others......torque moves the car downtrack. You need quite a bit of runner length to develop the torque on this size engine even with plenty of boost.

7. Turbo98

This is true. I think Mihovetz's intake runners are longer than the ones in that picture. I don't understand why somebody doesn't make an intake for B heads with decent length runners. The Sullivan looks promising with adjustable runner lengths but who knows if it will ever come out. I guess everybody on here is into total race cars with 1200+rwhp and want the short runners. I guess I'm the only one who has a street/strip car with a manual and would like to retain what little throttle response and drivability there is down low.

8. Excessive Motorsports

Anyone ever run a short-runner and IMRC plates? I have always heard a manual car that gets driven daily behaves much better with the stock plates. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

9. stangman9897

Sean Hyland say's he removes the eliminators and put the IMRC plates back on any street driven car. With the eliminators you only gain 5 to 6 HP but loose low end torque and drivability.Good for road race engine that stays in the 4000 to 7000 rpm window.

10. Turbo98

From what most people say, the effects of deleting the IMRC's can be made up in the tune. I'd rather have them gone and have a good tune and other things to help overcome the low-end torque issue rather than having functioning IMRC's. I don't want that carbon building up in the secondary port/valves due to reversion from having that port closed off.

11. Turbo98

Also, the best intake would be one that either has 16 separate runners of decent (or adjustable length like the Sullivan) with 16 injectors or one with 8 decent length runners with 8 injectors feeding all the intake ports. The Sullivan really looks nice but again, it's been YEARS so far and coule be MORE.

12. Turbo98

13. Ten5TBird

See? Bottom-feeder intake. ;)

14. blk mk8

i like it..

15. ShaneH

I just got my Hamilton Clarke Intake back in my hands and measured runner length. It's got 11 1/2" of runner to the backside of the intake valve. Longer than I thought it'd have.

16. yoteehunter

When I got mine I was told that the runners would be way to short and it would not work well. I never had one before and once I got it I was totaly shocked. Those runners are long and with the nice trumpet inlets velocity should be great especially when your forcing air in them, turns out the people who talked down on them never owned one for themselves like myself up until that point. I may just be crazy but to me the first and only problem I saw with the intake was the feed/throttle body port. First its a bit blocked by the trumpets inside. Secondly with that I dont see how it would do a perfect job of distributing air to the runners. I could see how a bottom feed would make the air evenly distributed in the middle and also roll the air off the lid helping to turn it directly down into the ports. To me it seems like just a small spacer would help but I dont know if it would fit. I know several years back Mike Murillo tuned a bottom feed hamilton clark cobra and I know it was a beast. I will try and find the article.

17. yoteehunter

18. ShaneH

Mike Noriega at Noribilt built that modified HCI. He recently made patterns to do it again using mine. In fact, he's got all the pieces cut out to do it, just needs to weld them together and assemble them with a set of HCI runners.

19. blk mk8

i was going to cut my intake and do some thing similar, how much is he going to charge for a setup like that?

20. ShaneH

Call him. His # is 210.265.1294. I know he had everything cut out and just needed to weld it together. He cut out a new 3/4 plate, milled a slot in the bottom and built a bottom doghouse for the throttle body to attach to. He'd also cut out the top pieces for the top doghouse.