1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

B head Intake question?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by JIMS SVT, Feb 24, 2009.

1. 8 SEC SVT

Intake looks good Jim.. I say since you already have it and swapping the two intakes wouldn't take too long, I say go for it. Only one way to find out..lol You don't need to go any faster, I already have my work cut out for me against you in True Street.. haha :cheers:

2. JIMS SVT

I already have comp springs.I like the way the car acts with the stock cams.Had comp cams when it was a na stick car.Sounded good and made power but didnt have real good streetablity

3. GTRO

Hey Jim / sorry to jump off topic , but was just wondering what you run for a inter cooler ?

4. JIMS SVT

I was running a 31x12x3'' unit...I switched thinking that was the problem to a 4'' thick unit.Didnt change anything really.

5. GTRO

was it air to air or liquid to air ?

6. JIMS SVT

Air to air...This is a street car.I drive it about every day when the weathers not crappy.Its a pretty basic setup.Just looking for some more power.

7. Turbo98

He told me he had an HCI with a custom upper.

8. Turbo98

Wow. There was a huge thread on another forum a while back documenting the change from one with short runners like he posted vs. a stock one. This was on a centri SN95. He lost over 50rwhp with the short runner version. Put the stocker back on and gained it all back. Personally, there is no way I'd have those runners that short. Call John Mihovetz and ask him. He's tested many different intakes. I bet his runners aren't even that short and he's spinning his to 10K RPM's. So unless your spinning it to the moon, I doubt you gain a thing and will probably lose power. The auto will help your cause though and you may see something up top. On a manual, I can guarantee you that it would lose power overall.

9. yoteehunter

I just got my HCI in today. I was shocked. The runners are not as short as they look in pictures. Aparently they are long enough to be removed just to get the lower on the engine in the car and then they bolt on. The runners are about 8-1/4" to 8-1/2 dpending on were I measure. The nice thing about it is that you dont need IMRC deletes as it is built into the intake without the IMRC's. I do see where the upper could be changed to pich up power as the runners block a good portion of the throttle body inlet. I am thinking the longer runners are better for more average power. It is way taller than my home made SSR copy cobra intake.

10. Excessive Motorsports

Have you driven the car since the HCI? If so did you feel any difference?

11. yoteehunter

No unfortunately my car was a 2v I going to 4v and changing a few other things. However I just might dyno with both intakes to see whats best for my combo. Hope Im not crashing a thread here. I just heard allot of talk about how a hamilton clark was not the best because of its short runners similar to the one posted by Jim. The fact is they realy arent all that short. I was totaly shocked.
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123214.0

12. ShaneH

Correct, the HCI has decent sized runners with the bolt on stub runner inside the intake. It's a damn good intake. now someone buy mine! lol

13. Jad

Not really in the market but how much you want for it? I live around the corner so I may come take a look at it.

14. stangman9897

Where do you buy that HCI intake?

15. 99TTGT

quote from = stangman9897
    Where do you buy that HCI intake?
    You can buy one from Shane H..
    PM him .!

16. 99TTGT

17. stangman9897

Thanks 99TTGT. I will PM him shit he just lives 6 miles up the road from me. I do not know anything about HCI intake but hear good things. Just not many intakes to choose from when running B Heads.What eise can you run on B twin port heads except 96-98 cobra Sean Hyland uses Wilson Sheet Metal and that bad boy sells for $4995.00 to rich for my blood.

18. Turbo98

MMR is coming out with a B headed intake real soon for under 1K. Shorter runners, etc. They say it will be good for turbo applications.

19. Excessive Motorsports

Cant wait to see that. Should be interesting.

20. Turbo98

They said they should have pics "very soon".