1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anyone using Wastegates as exhaust cutouts?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Forcefed86, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Drac0nic

Not a bad idea, something else I will throw on as a suggestion is find a powerstroke EBV, then weld in a piece to close the "notch" up. The plate is very thick, way thicker than the cutouts you have. It would probably work a lot better. It's what I've been thinking about using.

2. half-fast

Ya there should have been a ring with a bevel in the kit that you put between the flange and the gate and when you tighten up the bolts that seats the vavle against the bevel. atleast thats what my 38mm china gate was like

3. Forcefed86

Re: Anyone using Wastegates as exhaust cutouts?

Well, It's been awhile but it works. Running my 4" downpipe to a tiny 2.5" summit glasspack. The car is pretty darn quiet until the 60mm WG Dump opens. :D

[​IMG]#ad

http://youtu.be/X2fiLfKN5AM

4. 91turboterror

How do you think an old throttle body would work as a cutout?

5. Forcefed86

It doesn't seal very tightly, but its the same as an electric cutout. With enough work it could work fine.

6. Ackbar00

7. Forcefed86

8. V8KILR

Sounds like a good idea as I have been thinking of getting an exhaust cutout for a while now.

Because the 60mm wastegate uses a poppet valve, I'm thinking the flow would not be very good compared to a 75mm cutout. Two cheap wastegates would probably match the exhaust cutout, but then its about the same price. So what would be best for reliability and sealing, two wastegates or one exhaust cutout?

9. Forcefed86

As andy said...

Large cutouts aren't needed. A 60mm gate will flow enough for a shyt ton of HP. Also a valve is 10x as reliable and will make a much better/tigher seal than a butterfly type valve. *Should* be much more reliable than an electric motor as well. I pulled mine apart and put some high temp moly lube on the shaft as well.

10. Forcefed86

Just a little update on this. It works... but not as well as I hoped. It seals very well and functions as it should. Trapped 144 with this setup below. I removed the 60mm gate and boost jumped up about 1psi and I picked up almost 2mph in the 1/4.

Building a 4" dump pipe for it now to see if I can pick up even more. Then I'll go back so some sort of cutout setup.

[​IMG]#ad

11. Bte85nova

Amazing. I just had this idea and here it is in use. Thanks for sharing

12. Monzsta

I grabbed an exhaust bypass valve from a scrap lambo exhaust pipe and welded it in my Trans Am. It had a vacuum diaphragm and I plumbed it to a gm wastegate solenoid to a switch. It worked well, but it defaults to the open position without vacuum, so first start was an ear shattering blast until the valve closed a few seconds later. Wife and neighbors weren't real happy with that setup so I pulled it back off. Couldn't get that thing to hold vacuum overnight.

13. Forcefed86

A decent fix for this is a $2 china vac pump. Mine has held up for about a year now with no issue. I flip it on for a few seconds before I start my car. I don't even have it plumbed to the eng vac. Seems to have no issues running for long periods of time.

Monzsta likes this.