1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Air to Air or Air to water which is more effecient?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ng8264723, Oct 8, 2007.

1. rickyhaiber

I meant to type 850-hp...

2. rickyhaiber

If it is reasonably easy to do then I might be coming in contact with you for a little help on getting this done.

Do you think that if I were to eventually send you the cooler that you could fabricate it up and still have it fit in the front bumper (with some things removed from inside the bumper)?

3. rickyhaiber

I could work that out...and would be very interested. I also have my battery removed which might be an alright place for a reservoir/pump setup depending on how big of a tank I end up needing.

4. ralphiejantz

VS I sent you a pm regarding this as well
    I have the Precision 750hp air to air that I would to convert this over to air to water, would save me a lot of trouble and time

5. TTAWD

If your not going to ice down the water just add 50-60lbs to the front of your car and save yourself some time. :D

6. foxstanggt

I have a A/W system on my car and it is 95% street driven.

I havent put ice in it yet. No heat exchanger.

Temps vary from ~90-150.

I saw 150deg temps after driving 3 hrs in 95deg weather, that was as high as it got and i could cool it down to ~130 by turning the pump on. Driving with the pump off, i would flick it on for a minute every 20 or so minutes.

When i had the single i had temps from ~100-140deg.

I've logged and looked at these temps personally. Not everyones setups are going to be the same...

7. ralphiejantz

what intercooler are you running on your setup?

8. rickyhaiber

So you are saying that if someone were to run an air/water setup with a heat exchanger that it would be pointless for a street car?

What would the difference really be between say mysetup with the air/air converted to an air/water and a heat exchanger compared to the air/water w/ heat exchanger that comes stock on 03/04 cobras and 99-04 lightnings? They seem to work damn well with no ice and just the heat exchanger for driving around, don't they?

9. foxstanggt

Chiseled Performance 2000hp model

10. Mark55

The difference in heat transfer from a/a to a/w is 14 X so the core does not need to be near the size in sq. in. of surface area to provide the same or more cooling.
    I can't believe I'm reading about boxing in an a/a to make it an a/w intercooler. It would be incredibly heavy.

I'm running a boat so I have an endless supply of water available.
    The comments above about heat soak are going to be a major factor in drag racing.
    The a/a intercooler is not going to provide any heat transfer until the vehicle is moving fast and even then it will already be real hot.
    In the datalog below you can see where with the a/w unit the temp starts out cold and goes up as the hot air from the compressors hit it. It's going to be just the opposite with the a/a unit. I just have -8 lines going to and from the core, larger lines would have a lot less soak but I am always concerned about pressure spikes in the core which could be disastrous.

DatalogOct03.jpg #ad

11. turbo66

I run air to air with a large shrouded mechanical engine fan which draws a lot of air through the rad and cooler even at low rpm

12. Toma

Depends on the system... in a drag only car, A to Water will reduce inlet temps more, but its EFFICIENCY is not necessarily higher since the cooling medium is starting of much colder. The only fair or proper comparison would be to run and Air to Air with the air as cold as the water....

In a street car seeing prolonged loads, air to air is much more efficient. Reason is simple.... say your intercooler has 90 percent efficiency.... thats it for AtoA. But in air to water, you have to factor in your heat exchanger. Even if its an outragous 90% efficient, your combined system efficiency is .9x.9 = .81 or 81%.....

So air to air is more efficient in that regard..... especially on prolonged loads/constant boost type stuff...

13. TuxMask-Andy

Lets not forget air/water is better for road racing.

14. Millhouse

Are you sure about that? Hell, after a couple of laps I would think the heat exchanger would be so heat soaked that it would become a heater. Really, it was my understanding that for road racing applications a air to air is the proffered method'¦especially when you add some type of water cooling kit to aid cooling affects of the intercooler.

15. TuxMask-Andy

Well in road racing your not allowed to spray water at your air to air intercooler. Their other cars behind you and the last thing the track officials would want is leaking fluids on the track.

In road racing air to water provides more consistent performance then an air to air unit. More stable temperatures and less heat spikes. Your doing a lot of speeding and braking constantly.

16. Millhouse

Perhaps not on the street... but how about rally racing? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they use air to air intercoolers with sprayers?

Heat spikes on a forced setup are inevitable. You need to limit the temperature swings to ensure the tune is good. It seems to me that after a couple of laps the air to water setups would be virtually useless...as they would be far to heatsoaked to adequately cool the air charge.

17. turbo66

Most roadrace pro's seem to use air-air, le'mans drifters etc, air-water ic's seem to be used more for 1 shot like drg racing with ice/dry ice etc IMO

18. enyawix

What about space concerns? Just how big is a air water system? I am building a Pacific Roadster kit car

so space is very limited. the air portion looks about the size of a battery, but what about the radiator portion of the inner cooler, water pump etc....?