1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

A New Drag Anti Lag System

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by AlkyV6, Dec 13, 2009.

1. 10secgoal

Indeed. Guessing you'll find the timing to get it to the right area and then start changing and comparing increase rates from there huh ?
    You're going to need a rebuild after all this just from the t-brake testing lol.

2. AlkyV6

Yep.
    Engine and trans both need to be gone through.

3. AlkyV6

The time from nitrous activation to the target shut off point (145 kPa MAP) has now been cut to 1.40 sec.
    The timing curve while on the nitrous turned out to be more complex than just a simple retard amount or simple ramp. The same was found with the fueling curve.
    The fueling while on the nitrous is a mix of lean and rich spots to coax rpm rise in one section of the nitrous activation time period, and then boost rise in another section.
    I was a little surprised when I did the math on the time stamps of the datalog and came up with 1.4 sec. I had to recheck my math more than a few times.
    A Borg Warner Airwerks T6 turbine housing, S510/91mm turbo on a small V6, spooled to launch ready in 1.4 secs.
    Exhaust back pressure to Intake boost pressure, .90:1 at 28 psi boost.

4. AlkyV6

5. AlkyV6

I was just looking over the datalogs of the ALS testing and found one that I had dismissed because I wasn't happy about something with it, but when I did the math on the time of nitrous activation to the target MAP shut off point, I was surprised to find 1.32 sec. I'll have to take a close look at that tuneup. Whatever it was that made me dismiss it, I can't argue with 1.32.
    Source: Bin 16r.

6. BYBYLS1

I just sat down and took the time to read this thread from begining to endS.........and I can honestly say that this is one of the coolest threads that I've ever come across. There are quite a few really solid ideas in here and I honestly think that I will possibly try tinkering with some of the methods in this thread.

Ps. Here something that has me wondering...... My car is a large single turbo mustang that I run either 93 or 100 octane pump gas with meth injection. I wonder if I could still try and use nitrous to bring the boost up while on the trans brake while the engine is consuming the 93 octane/ meth injection mixture?!

And if i was to discontinue use of the pump gas/meth injection, and i switch my car over to run on E86 would the nitrous assisted anti lag system work well in either of those situations?!

I'm really sorry if I barged in and interupted this thread but after reading all of this it has me thinking. Thank you for your time-Justin W.

7. AlkyV6

If the nitrous system is constructed properly to prevent any lean spiking, is shut down at a reasonable boost level in relation to the size of the nitrous hit, I really don't see any problem.
    The size of the hit required will change going from the gasoline/alky tune to the straight E86 fuel.
    If a large hit is found to be required, equal distribution is going to be key. With a small hit, a single nozzle may do. If you're going for the nitrous/methanol ALS tune (combustion in the exhaust system), you should port inject it.

8. jaquetapus

Wow, there's a TON of stuff to digest in this thread. Some super cool ideas! I wonder if injecting the nitrous into the exhaust only, across a glow plug would have a similar effect? If I'm understanding you correctly, you're also opening your BOV during staging to take the load off the compressor side of the turbo in order to help it spool quicker? Then snapping it shut when you let go of the brake? That's a pretty brilliant idea! There's no adverse effects from loading the compressor abruptly like that?

-dave

9. AlkyV6

I tried that strategy with my combination, but didn't get good results. My combination, with the small engine, needs some boost to get things working. Cracking open the BOV and trying to get things moving with zero boost to help things out just didn't work out as hoped.
    This strategy with a larger engine combination, and more appropriately sized turbo, I'm sure would work out nicely.

10. orion_134

What ever happened with this setup/car?