1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

A New Drag Anti Lag System

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by AlkyV6, Dec 13, 2009.

1. 99TTGT

Subscribing
    Can you post some pics ?

2. AlkyV6

No. That's the beauty of this system. It is surprisingly simple.

I'm not purposely trying to make anyone frustrated by going so slow with this. I just want to make sure I don't lose anyone. I'm going to continue to explain this in small steps. If I jump to the end without backing it up with some explanation first, I'm sure I will lose most people.

3. 10secgoal

You gotta post something for me to get lost with lol

4. PrecisionTurboMustang

We are all ears! You have come to right sight to discuss this. I can assure you there is more of an understanding here then anywhere else on the net.

5. AlkyV6

What would you like to see?

6. AlkyV6

Good. I know there are more advanced individuals that may start to fall asleep, but I really prefer to bring the less knowledgeable up to speed and not lose them. Thanks for your patience.

7. AlkyV6

:D

8. svojohn

Speak up! The dummies will always be dummies, you can't change that by going slower. :stupid:

9. AlkyV6

Let's move on to methanol fueled engines. This is where this system shines.

Methanol fuel provides cooling as it evaporates. So much that it is common to do away with the intercooler in a turbocharged application. If class rules allow, an intercooler can still be useful in high boosted turbocharged methanol applications.

It is understood that fuels need to be vaporized by the time of ignition to provide exceptable power generation. Methanol is no different. In order for methanol to be sufficiently vaporized by the time of ignition, the static compression ratio is commonly raised to a higher level than with a gasoline application. The heat generated during compression helps to vaporized and dissociate the fuel. If the methanol fuel is not properly vaporized by the time of combustion, some will dissociate during the combustion process, and if enough of this goes on during the combustion process, a loss in power will be experienced. The combustion process is actually quenched by the methanol that is vaporizing and dissociating during the combustion process. If enough unvaporized methanol is involved during the combustion process, some will exit the cylinder into the exhaust.

10. 86merc

I have read about using a AEM Engine Management System's "Rally Car" ALS that was inteneded for manual trans cars. But wired to the brake pedal switch it works great for pre-staging an automatic car. But unlike with the manual trans you lean the A/F and add timing. Basically you want the engine to rev cleanly and make as much torque as possible. This is also tied into the first 3step rpm limit. Once in boost you bump into the second beam, hit the trans brake button and onto the second 3 step rpm limit. They have had good results with it so far. I did not have time to try it this year but an excited to give it a try after seeing their results.

I am excited to read what Alky has experimented with and came up with.

11. AlkyV6

Yes. That is the tuning procedure that people have told me too. Basically a max torque tune at TC stall.
    It didn't work well with my application.
    As the thread progresses I'll start giving the specs of my car. It will completely surprise you. As a starter, the stall speed of my TC is 2400-2700 rpm, off the nitrous and 0 boost.

12. AlkyV6

Next, I'll go over the combination of nitrous and methanol together. Needless to say, the two together make for a very chilling combination.

I have to take a break, guys.

13. SprayedSDime

I'm still failing to grasp any breakthrough here. No, I didn't spend the time sifting through the 25 pages you linked to, but the concept in itself of using nitrous to spool a large turbo on small cubes isn't really new to me or likely any people viewing/posting in the advanced tech section. That being said, I believe you also know that using nitrous for this reason is not unheard of, so what makes it different that you're using methanol instead of gasoline in the nitrous system?

IIRC The working theory behind using nitrous to spool a large turbo on small cubes relies on the very high EGTs generated when using nitrous. You can see these high EGTs when watching videos of pro mod nitrous cars run at night and see the flames out the collectors down the track. So how is the process different using methanol? Are you suggesting that introducing an oxygenated fuel into the exhaust to combust in a similar fashion as conventional gas anti-lag systems that you get 'more bang?' Or are you implying that the burn in the exhaust using a methanol setup is more controllable than gasoline setups (referencing you saying the current methods of anti lag are violent and irregular).

In any case I'm interested in what you've discovered even although most sanctioning bodies only allow a single power adder. Maybe 2 is big in imports and GN crowds that lack the cubic inches for the big turbos :noidea:

14. Torqued

I've never been a fan of "No Child Left Behind". Get on with it. :D

15. chevy..driver

I'm waiting for the revelation, the abridged revelation. LOL

16. AlkyV6

Disclaimer: This system is not for everyone.

The people that do use it will enjoy a very smooth and stable anti lag system, with no worries about breaking or wearing out engine, turbo or exhaust components. This system is aimed towards the methanol racer who may elect to use methanol with nitrous to quickly spool the turbo and keep his/her fuel system simple, instead of the headache of having to run two different fuels on the car.

The advantage of this system over just simply spraying nitrous with methanol is worth .2 second off the 60 foot in my case, with testing still in the preliminary stages :2thumbs: . THAT, my friends, is nothing to sneeze at.

17. AlkyV6

You missed it then. The abridged version is in posts number 1 and 2. Patience people, patience.

18. AlkyV6

I'm sure they appreciate you for that.
    If you're in a real hurry to get to the main course, I did post a link very early in this thread to another thread that has all the answers you seek. You don't have to read the whole thing. Start at page 20.

19. AlkyV6

Methanol and nitrous.

Either nitrous or methanol, separately, do a tremendous job of cooling the intake charge when they go through the stages of evaporation (changing state from a liquid to a vapor) and dissociation (the breakdown of the molecule when enough heat is present). One or both of those processes taking place in the intake tract, cylinder, during compression and, in some cases, during combustion.
    When used together, the combination can actually over cool the intake charge. That is why when large hits of nitrous/methanol are used, the actual net hp from the hit drops. Even heat from compression isn't enough to properly vaporize and dissociate the mixture. And, what's left to vaporize and dissociate during combustion will severly quench the combustion process.

20. AlkyV6

That is the main reason why people often prefer not to use nitrous with methanol.
    Although,... it is perfectly exceptable, and works very well :2thumbs:, if the nitrous/meth hit is limited in size and the turbo that you're trying to spool is only slightly on the large size compared to the engine.

If you have a large turbo to spool and you need a larger nitrous/meth hit to spool it, as you go up in hit size, there is a small increase, but not like you'd expect.