1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

A New Drag Anti Lag System

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by AlkyV6, Dec 13, 2009.

1. 331StrokerStang

Must know more, I'm trying to spool two 67mm turbos with a 5.1L :stupid:

2. AlkyV6

If this is a request for an explanation about the system I'm using, refer back to the last 14 pages of this thread. It's all in there.

3. wantabe

sorry...
    just re read this again...

i cannot for the life of me understand... or put a reasonable physical explaination to it....
    need to see the setup in person ..

:huh:

4. PrecisionTurboMustang

Plane tickets are cheap enough ;)

5. wantabe

yer right.... :D

6. 10secgoal

Lol, it's quite a bit to take in. Even an experienced turbo guy will take a few minutes to figure out everything going on under there, if you can figure it all out.

7. wantabe

minutes.....lol
    i wanted to post this before christmas...

8. AlkyV6

I thought I did a good enough job explaining how this works. Maybe not. If there are still questions, please don't be shy. Ask away. I'm willing to explain this in as much detail as needed.

9. AlkyV6

Anyone is welcome to come by the shop for an in person explanation of how it works.
    If one is used to nitrous, it's surprisingly simple.

10. 10secgoal

I think you did. but if I didn't already know what was going in there, I might go a bit cross eyed trying to figure it out lol. From what you were saying about the things you found and not having a real working IC this thing should have quite a bit more still in it. Think there is a .20-.30 in it ? :eek:

11. AlkyV6

Quite possibly. The latest 5.57 et was done with a MAP of 315 kPa (31psi), ramped in by the end of the 1/8 mile. The way the fuel map is shaping up, after fixing some problems I was having with the fuel supply system, the electronic injectors are looking like they will go max duty cycle by 360 kPa (38#s boost). There's 7 psi boost to play with still, but I don't think these tires are going to hold anymore boost in the 1/8. I might be able to ramp in a lot of it in a 1/4 mile run, after a rearend gear change.
    These tiny heads have got to become a governor for this setup at some point pretty soon. :huh:

12. 10secgoal

Was going to stop by and talk to you about Co2, but ended up using my coolant system pressure tester to apply pressure to the top of the gates. Worked grat. Found out it was 100% load, or the lack there of on the dyno :doh:

So what's next to squeak more out of this ?

13. AlkyV6

So you applied pressure to the wastegates or the BOV, or both?
    What do you mean by 100% load or lack of?
    Squeak more out of your car? If you meant my car, go back to my previous post. I edited it.

14. 10secgoal

No no, what to do next to squeak more out of yours, is what I meant

The dyno wasn't loading the engine close to enough to have it spool when it should. I have the bov compressor signal, and the top of the gate, with no signal to the bottom port. Nothing changed. They were all doing heir job like they should. I put the car in 3rd gear and it spooled juuuust fine lol. The problem I was having was 100% the fault of the dyno. There was damn near no load. It was so bad, it was hard to comprehend there was no mechanical issues. I'm going to test for leaks just for shits and grins, but with a real load, she does just fine lol.

15. AlkyV6

The next step will be to start throwing a little more boost at a time at her until the tires become the limiting factor. The tires are 29.5 x 10.5 - 15Ws. I'll probably work the boost control curve more during the first part of the run, too. Try to find the edge of traction through the whole run. It seems that the more power I can get away with during the first part of the run, the more power I can get ramped in by the end of the run. A friend has been bugging me to scale the car too to get the chassis weight more finely tuned in. That would be a logical step, too.

16. 10secgoal

Even better logical step would be to take it to a good track. :-X
    Billy sees is DS speed spiking all down that track. Vegas he sees a jump at the 1-2 shift, that's it

17. AlkyV6

Funny you should bring up DS speed. On the 5.57 run, and after studying the datalog, particularly the DS speed, I noticed a tall spike right at the finish of the pass. Comparing the TPS at that same point, I noticed that I was getting out of the throttle at that point. Looking at the a/f ratio at that same point, I also noticed that as I began to get out of the throttle, the a/f ratio had started to lean. The tires broke loose during this leaning out.
    I had noticed earlier that for a short distance during the top end the a/f ratio was moving a little bit richer than my target a/f ratio. I also noticed that in this one spot in the top end where the tires broke loose, the a/f ratio, as it was leaning, was passing through my target a/f ratio when the tires began to let loose. There's definitely a little more power on the table as soon as I get the top end leaned out to my target a/f ratio. This is even before I start bumping up the boost.
    I definitely have got a sweet target a/f ratio for this engine dialed in.

18. 10secgoal

Wow. So, you were letting out, hitting a better AFR the egnine liked, and it was spinning as you let out because of it ?

19. AlkyV6

Yes!

20. 10secgoal

Holy shit lol :eek: