1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

A Math Question for you Racers

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by Boost Engineer, Mar 28, 2009.

1. 302tt

120 mph

Laps 1 & 2 each take 30 min
    Laps 3 & 4 each take 20 min
    200 miles in 100 minutes = 2 miles/minute or 120 mph.

2. 302tt

10" tall.

The material is 1/8 as dense so we need to have 8 times the volume. Double each of the dimensions 2x2x2=8 times the original.

3. Grape Ape

Correct.

4. 302tt

Wohooo. I knew taking 4th grade three times would pay off eventually. :chacha:

5. Boost Engineer

Quote:

"Laps 1 & 2 each take 30 min
    Laps 3 & 4 each take 20 min
    200 miles in 100 minutes = 2 miles/minute or 120 mph."

CORRECT

Tom Vaught

next one:

A Contractor's Dredge can travel 7 miles per hour. It attempts to move up a river where the downstream current is 1-3/4 miles per hour. After 2 hours, engine trouble develops.
    The Dredge drifts with the current for 1-1/2 hours while the engine is being repaired.
    After repairs are completed the Dredge proceeds at its former speed to its destination point. How long did the whole trip take (including time for repairs)?

6. 302tt

2 hours sailing upstream
    1 1/2 hours drifting for repairs
    1/2 hours to sail back upstream to cover the 3/2 hours x 7/4 mph = 21/8 miles drifted which is recovered in 1/2 hours at 5 1/4 mph (or 42/8 mph) accounting for the 7 mph against the current.

4 Hours in total.

7. Boost Engineer

NOPE

Potential Engineers had to answer this question on the second day of class in WW-II

Tom Vaught

8. tuner

That isn't even a question, it's fractured syntax. Without the distance to the destination point, it's a statement that ends with a question mark.

9. turbofreek

so when did the thing start to be repaired? and why the hell was it not anchored in the first place? and why the hell is it in the water? and what the hell is a dredge? :D

10. Ironworker

We've got a dredge up here on the arkansas river that goes out and sucks up sand for the sand plant kinda like a big vacuum im not sure if its the same dredge of what tom is talking about though

11. Boost Engineer

Quote:

"That isn't even a question, it's fractured syntax. Without the distance to the destination point, it's a statement that ends with a question mark."

Leave it to my good friend Tuner to solve the first part of the actual puzzle.

The first part of the puzzle is:

1) How can you solve a question in Racing if you do not pay attention to the details?

Tuner picked up on the fact that I had left out the destination point. Without having the goal in clear sight how can you ever get there?

The Destination Point was 27 miles upstream and the speed after the repair again 7 miles per hr minus the current.

2) Once you figure out the parts of your project that are actually missing in order to go fast then the execution is typically pretty quick.

So what is the answer Tuner?

Tom Vaught

ps

Quote:

"This forum is for high level tech like engineering level discussions, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, systems-engineering and control, etc. Please check your egos at the door."

This forum is not about posting high school math questions, it is about getting people to think about their race programs, their engine builds, why some things worked, why other things did not work, etc. I am not trying to be a College Professor, I am trying to help people develop ways to break down problems so that they can solve them.

12. 10secgoal

A little over 7 hrs

13. Boost Engineer

7- 1/7th hours but close enough. Good Job!

Tom Vaught

14. ScottI

"yet he walks away" Yet was his

15. mustangcobra438

i appreciate this tom because it really will help me understand how to ask myself questions and give myself answers to curreent issues.

16. John Boschma

wow my brain hurts now. thanks alot guys. :bang: :doh:

17. Boost Engineer

A basic question now:

An Aircraft Carrier in WW-II catapulted a plane into the air to deliver official mail ahead of the ship's arrival in port.

What proportion of 3240 nautical miles, the total trip from port to port, was the plane in the air if the plane was carried 2830 nautical miles by the ship prior to launch? (The answer can be stated in a fraction or in a percentage, either one will be correct).

No tricks here.

The original question said a "Battleship" launched the plane but many would say Aircraft Carriers launch planes, not battleships, so I modified the wording to eliminate confusion on that point.

Tom Vaught

18. turbofreek

410 to the port, but it doesnt say where the strip is the plane will land. or if the plane will reland on said craft and just dump a package chuted to the ground. the distance to the port is easy, its the location of a said airport for it to land on shore, or if it returns to the craft to land on it. then how far has the craft sailed before the plane returns to the ship?

19. RyanMayo

Not 410.

Divide 410 by 3240= a little over 1/8

20. Boost Engineer

Correct! Approximately 1/8th of the trip

Tom Vaught