1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

99 Camaro SS Lq4 S480 Build

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by CamaroLQ480, Dec 17, 2012.

1. CamaroLQ480

Thanks man it was a lot of work but worth it :)

2. CamaroLQ480

Been working on another custom twin scroll kit done by Ed@GMPrecision stainless schedule 10 twin JGS gates

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. Jo Diesel

Dude now you are just showing off and trying to make the rest of us look bad. Your fab skills are pretty impressive.

4. nebdrummer

I've come to the conclusion that you need to make my hot side. lol Any new news?

5. CamaroLQ480

Thanks ;)

Well let me know we have a few to do in the next few months but could do another i'm sure ;) Updates are below..........

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't updated about the motor in a while. Not to go into too much detail but picked up the 370 from NC and looked it over a little before just going for it, noticed right away the cam bearing were wiped out then since i saw that had to pop a cap off. Those were even worse. So dropped it off at RAD Auto Machine a shop local to me and it just got worse. Crank was bad the grooves in it were bad enough that it couldn't be turned. Then i was told that the bore was undersized. A shop Local to Bill assembled and did all the machine work but they did not do a good job measuring, cleaning, or even checking their work. But anyways all is good now Motor go redone to the correct clearances also took my old crank out and had them install and balance everything. Did Coated cam, main, and Rod Bearings, while in there got ARP Main studs done, figured might as well lol. Thanks again Bill appreciate the help with this. So the New Set up is a forged 370 Weisco pistons -11cc pistons Compstar Rods Stock crank Still same stock heads and a new Tick Performance Cam Specs are .229/.237 .627/.610 114+6
    Here are some pics
    Coated Bearings
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

POWER!!
    [​IMG]#ad

Also sent my converter back to PTC to be tightened so between the 370, cam and converter i should pick up a little MPH LOL

6. M&M Turbochargers

what size are your JGS gates??

7. CamaroLQ480

Sorry for the long delay. those are 40mm gates my car has tial 38s

8. jaredsamurai

Any updates? This is one of my favorite cars

9. CamaroLQ480

Thanks man i appreciate that. Ya a bunch has happened since i installed the new motor and cam. Car makes wayyyyyyyyyyyy more torque so when i would launch i was almost scraping the back bumper so had to try and launch soft. 1st day at the track just was trying to get a full pass but was chasing the suspension around. one pass spun the tires hard cut a nice 2.1 60' lol and still ran 149.61 i'll post the videos at the bottom. So went back to the track the next day and broke the flexplate right in half. It was a YANK which is a cheap china knock off part so got a new plate and here winter is. So over the break i'm getting a Leash boost controller, parachute, new hood since i broke my ss hood and got myself some new wheels. Thanks for looking man
    My buddy grabbed his go pro he wanted to do an incar since i was pulling the wheels way up. First pass in here was the one where i blew the tires off. Second i just went for it but as i was in the air ran it out of fuel so it stumbled. You can hear it in the video really well

[​IMG]#ad

10. CamaroLQ480

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

These are the new wheels i bought
    [​IMG]#ad

11. CamaroLQ480

12. M&M Turbochargers

Thanks for updating!! love to see the progress on this car :2thumbs:

13. CamaroLQ480

Thanks :) Few more things to go and it should put up some great times

14. Mustangbrad94gt

how much boost were you leaving on the wheels up pass, were all waiting for you're 8sec pass

15. CamaroLQ480

8psi before it was taking me 13-14 and it didn't hike the tires up like tha. I had 8s all day if I just put together a clean pass but it was like learning a new car. I had a pass launched 4.3psi broke at the 1000' and ran 9.3 so I should be there. The boost controller will help a lot. Soon as the track opens I'll be out gunning for 8s

16. Mustangbrad94gt

thats awesome, you got a well built combo, coming along strong, can't wait to get mine rolling, check out my build page sometime, big fan of the stainless also

17. turboboy4548

How did you weld the flanges to the cast iron manifolds?

18. mikemachine

LS manifolds are cast steel, not iron.

19. CamaroLQ480

To get them to look like this?? ;)
    [​IMG]#ad

20. RyanMayo

I go from six to midnight when I look at the welds in here...