1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

99 Camaro SS Lq4 S480 Build

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by CamaroLQ480, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Jo Diesel

BOLT THE SLICKS ON. Race fuel and a little more timing and I bet you are knocking on the 8's

2. Mustangbrad94gt

1.55 short times and fight'n traction sounds real promising, I bet with a 1.3ish 60" you'll be bottom 9's, congrats on track outing, very impressive Brad

3. CamaroLQ480

I did, I just added 2* and turned up the boost to 14.9psi it loved it but only hooked one run.

I had the Hoosier QTP's on for 3 runs and only one it hooked doing 1.55 60ft the rest they spun like an animal!
    I am new with those tires and it was 98 deg out like 160 track temp the only time it hooked i didnt do a burnout so i think i was getting them too hot because they wouldnt grab at all
    Thanks man! :)
    I cant wait to get back out there. Unfortunately i have an issue with the turbo (very surprised) i am not sure what happened since it was brand new maybe 300 miles on it but the shaft has tons of play. I talked to Bill at bullseyepower he was awesome and very helpful it will be there monday and i'll find out what went wrong with it. Just kind of shocked since the s480 is one of the most reliable turbos out there. But honestly i'm not too mad because i wanted to put a billet wheel on it and this is the good time to do it :)

4. nebdrummer

Badass numbers! I look forward to seeing more. What bearings did you use in the motor? I see its a pretty much stock short block, and that's exactly my plans. What did you use to clean up the motor for rebuild? The pistons look brand new.

5. CamaroLQ480

Thanks!
    Its a stock bottom end just rod bolts and a bunch of supporting mods, slip oil pump double timing chain arp head bolts. I used a ton of de greaser and a lot of hours to clean everything up it was nasty!!! Especially the heads

6. CamaroLQ480

7. CamaroLQ480

So Last week my Turbo went, bearings were toast! Was pretty bummed but figured i wanted to do a billet wheel so now is a good time as any to do it. So sent the turbo back to Bullseye Power and I think a few things were the reason for it blowing. Right before i noticed i had a ton of shaft play i blew the intercooler pipe off hard that could of been the last straw but just like Bill said at Bullseye, it was on its way out anyways. I also only have one BOV so i'm adding a second since that could of hurt it. Also have a 90 junk ebay fitting at the top of my turbo that is a little smaller than it should be i ordered -4 but we all know how ebay is! Anyways i upgraded to the Bullseye Billet wheel and turbo is on its way back to me.
    Gotta admit when it first happened i was not expecting a good outcome since EVERYONE has problems when talking with turbo companies. But Bill Devine over there was awesome to talk to and helped with the problems. It was good that we found the problem instead of me spending a bunch of money getting a new turbo then having it blow again in 3 months. Will have the turbo by Friday and be back running this weekend. And making the same power with less boost :) Cant complain about that! He was just as excited for me to try out the bullseye wheel as I was. I want to try to get this tank into the 8s eventually stock bottom end!!

8. jaredsamurai

What is the junk eBay fitting you're talking about? Is it a -4an? If so have you mic'd the I.D. of the fitting?

As for the bov causing it, what bov are you running and how much boost? I've only thought bov's could knock out thrust bearings.

9. CamaroLQ480

its some eBay 90'¢ swivel and I'm running a tial Q bov 15psi....but I get a ton of surge and I Really think it was a lot of things combined that caused it. I fixed everything that could have and I will let it idle much longer after a drive just sucks at midnight to let it idle for 1-2 mins lol

10. CamaroLQ480

Just got the billet wheel in today so much nicer than the original cast

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

11. nebdrummer

In for new numbers! Niiice

12. jaredsamurai

billet wheel gives me a billet stiffy

13. CamaroLQ480

Hahahahahaha

14. CamaroLQ480

Thanks. I just need to clean up my afrs a little they are off because of the new turbo then ill run the exact same boost and timing. I'm curious on the gains. Drove it a little last night but got caught in the rain (that was fun)

15. CamaroLQ480

16. CamaroLQ480

17. nebdrummer

Love it...

18. 99TTGT

look's good.!

19. CamaroLQ480

Thanks guys! Had a good day at the track It was hot and humid as hell but got to get all my license runs in and the last two tried out the new shocks and tires. Launched at 13psi and got this pass. As you can hear in the video i hit the rev limiter lol but still got a decent run out of it. Also this was straight 93 no mix no meth. Ran great all day. 16psi 15* timing. Now that i'm legit i'll be trying to dial it in. Still plenty left on this set up might change gear and converter up a little but want to work with what i have for now. But the Converter was not happy with the new gear change LOL ;)

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

20. BlownShovel

Congrats on the licensing passes.... car looks factory built and runs great