1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

98 sonoma, ltx, s480 build>>8.72@156mph<< new video

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by slammed98gmc, Feb 7, 2009.

1. denmah

excellent! this thing is a beast!

2. patl

That looks like fuel from the vent. :-\

3. slammed98gmc

I cannot get anyone to own up to it, but i think someone left the lid off the fuel cell after then put fuel in it. I didnt even know anything about it till i got home and watched the videos.

&list=UUJFaqAWr38FF7gPszmAj-5A&index=1&feature=plcp[/url]

4. patl

Man, I love watching that thing leave. :shock:

5. slammed98gmc

im surprised that no one commented on the fact that my front wheels dont look like they are going to fall off anymore. I also put a trz rack in it over the winter to fix all the bump steer. I was happy with the install and the overall quality of the kit. Only problem I had was the rack was way too wide and we had to cut down the tie rods to get the toe set. im not sure why we had to do that, but I didnt want to wait till monday to call trz to figure out the problem so we just cut the tie rods and sleeved them with some chromoly tubing.

&list=UUJFaqAWr38FF7gPszmAj-5A&index=10&feature=plcp[/url]

6. turboventura

jesus! was that all being transmitted to the steering wheel or what? Thats some serious shaking

7. slammed98gmc

Some of it was, but not all of it. Most if the time I never even noticed it! It took slowing down some videos to try and look at the rear suspension to really see how bad it was and do something about it.

8. CyanJaguar

i noticed it wasnt shaking any more. congrats.

9. GASOLINE

Cool build! :2thumbs: Subscribing

That looks like an Envoy bumper? Did you have to change out the core support to get it to fit?

I am trying to update the face of a 1998 GMC Jimmy.

10. slammed98gmc

The envoy front bumper goes right on a 98 gmc front end without changing anything else.

11. snapc3

Love the look of the truck. :2thumbs: Sorry if this question was answered already but I didn't see it, can you give some tips on how the rear window was fit around the roll cage? It looks like a very tight fit and cant even see any slots in the videos.

12. slammed98gmc

lots and lots of cardboard templets. i cut the slots in it for the bars and slid it up in there from the bottom and then took the pieces i cut out and put them back in so there is just a hole for the bars really. i found a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade works great on margard.

13. nebdrummer

Man the new setup looks great!

14. TTFBDY

15. blown385

16. Forcefed86

Congrats on the new best!

The full vid shows a whole lot more than buttons popping... It's full topless by the end of the lap and VERY staged. Not that I'm complaining... :chacha:

17. longbed67

Yes very staged but this version is edited there is a version of this one out there that it is all revealed

18. slammed98gmc

No real updates, I took the truck down south to Waco to do a photo shoot with gm high tech magazine, when I got home there was something rattling in the motor. I got sick and had to have surgery and truck was just sitting for awhile. I recently had the motor and trans all the way out when I figured out the converter bolts where loose! so I put it back in and took it out this weekend, it ran well with no noises. It ran a 8.84@157 off the trailer @19 psi. All the rest of the passes of the night where fighting for traction. Not many cars showed and all of them where street tire cars do they didnt do much prep. It did run 163 on one pass @ 9.3, spun bad leaving on 8 psi and brought in 25 psi. Hopefully next time out we will get a little track prep!

I got to weight the truck and found that I have shaved some weight since last year. Last year the truck weighed in at 3275 and this year its 3005! I pulled the aw intercooler , tanks, pumps and lines and pulled the gear box to install the steering rack. I did not expect that much of a loss. I'm guessing something is off on the scales.

19. TTFBDY

Congrats to Troy for making it into this months GM High Tech Performance with a feature write up. :cheers: :bow:

20. slammed98gmc

Thanks man!