1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

94gt turbo rebuild

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by Mustangbrad94gt, Mar 9, 2011.

1. racesloth

Those pistons in yet? ;)

2. sn 95guy

3. The_Mustang

I like these build threads that get into the meat and potatoes of the build. Props for ya.. Keep the pics coming... :cheers:

4. 69stang

Love the details, keep it up :2thumbs:

5. Mustangbrad94gt

finally got the short block assembled[​IMG]#ad

6. Mustangbrad94gt

7. Mustangbrad94gt

been rather busy at work last week, did manage to pick up the b&m turbo 400, getting ready to tear down, cut for jw bellhousing, rebuild, 36 element sprag, transbrake valve body, deep alum. pan ect........... dont really have the grand for a lenny converter, any suggestions on a 3200-3400 10" converter for my set-up?

8. racesloth

Looks like it is time for an update....

9. jaredsamurai

I like it when people actually do proper engine builds with machine work and cheap upgrades like 5140 rods and probe pistons in a stock block. It seems more and more common for everyone to just say, "oh just slap a 220000 mile motor in it and run it til it blows! and then put another one in it cause they're so cheap!". I'd rather do it right, myself, the first time. And its relaxing to take your time and build a motor. Love this build. Keep up the good work. :2thumbs:

10. watahyahknow

hmmmm yes and no ..... a whell build engine will blow just as hard as a 220000 mile engine when you dont know how to tune it yet , the sport in slapping in a whell used engine is mainly to experiment with turbo's and feulsystems before exposing the setup and you tuningabilities to a good engine

11. jaredsamurai

I'm not talking about that. I do see what your saying tho. I'm talking about guys who think its absolutely absurd to rebuild a stock block 302 or 351. When I built a shortblock for my turbo 94 gt I was building it as a daily driver and I got crap for rebalancing my roto assy and putting cheap forged pistons and cheap forged rods in it. Got a good deal on somestuff and figured its a little peace of mind. I know those blocks crack. But I wasn't going to push it. I also know that stock rods have broken, and so have stock pistons before the block did. just sayin I would never put a motor in a car that I PLANNED on taking back out. Maybe I would change my thinking if I had a carb'd SBC in an old pickup. But with an efi turbo V8 shoe horned into a mustang I plan on it staying in.

12. Mustangbrad94gt

13. Mustangbrad94gt

got the cometics in and the arp studs, installed heads, mocked up turbo header, making bracket for header support[​IMG]#ad

14. racesloth

uh-oh :jdp:

That is gonna fly...top notch work as usual Brad.

15. Mustangbrad94gt

finished the support bracket for pass. side header, 316 stainless, 1/4" thick, will tig weld it on header this weekend

16. Mustangbrad94gt

upr k-member(chrome moly), 1" shorter than fox control arms(chrome moly)[​IMG]#ad
    and coil over kit arrived yesterday, k-member weighed 18#'s, control arms are 5#'s a piece,

17. Mustangbrad94gt

been busy at work, haven't got a bunch done in the last month, motor is finished, trans is cut (th400), installing upr moly front end, will post pics

18. vinniepearl

For what reason did it spike to 24#'s? Are you using the boost brothers wastegate? Manual or electronic boost controller?

19. Mustangbrad94gt

was using a mbc with the 6# spring in wg, didnt realize how sensitive the mbc was, 1 turn was alot from closed position, blew turbo on first test drive, put a mpt70 on, no probs after that

20. racesloth

Any updates? Need a hand dropping that engine in? :2thumbs: