1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

94 Full Size Blazer 383 BW S366

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 96lt4c4, Jan 6, 2015.

1. turbomalibuwagon

Ok I'll bite I reread my post ,I got side tracked and misspoke. I didn't say everything I intended to. My point was that the hot side isn't big enough to efficiently run the rpm with out a larger gate ideally that gate should be a 60 mm for the pressure he is running. Smaller one my work and be able to keep the boost In check that was my opinion . Next was that not to say the 366 was correctly matched compressor to thus combo but that the eBay gt45 was not the answer. I should have asked how much power he wanted to make and at what maximum rpm he intended to use all said and done. Then gave my opinion on a better compressor. I more ment to advise against throwing money at more improperly matched parts that would only frustrate him farther and possibly cause the project to be abandoned. If it was my project I'd put a s475-83 1.10 at the smallest on it. Personally I'd put a s482 fmw -87 1.10 on it and this way you're not on the edge of the map on the big end and it's still abe to turn it down and drive it. I'm sorry for the confusion ,and if I've offended any one.

2. Mnlx

No one is offended, just trying to understand the reasoning. His goal was to keep rpm low, and make boost early. Some of us thought the compressor was on the small side, but as long as its on the map a smaller more responsive compressor is what he's looking for. As far as the gate goes, a gate that holds wanted boost level steady through the intended rpm range is all that is needed imo. I personally dont think the gt45 would be a bad choice as long as the compressor would support the hp. I think the small compressor/ larger turbine would work well on the combo.

3. 96lt4c4

Turbomalibuwagon, your not offending anyone. I love hearing all the feedback from you guys. It helps me learn.

Well as far as the GT45 goes, I already have one on the way...LOL. Should be here Thursday. I think I am with Mnlx on this one. The math that I have done shows the compressor map for the GT45 as being a pretty good fit, for what I am doing. I am not as close to the edge of the map as I am on the s366 at 5000 RPM. Anything over 5000 RPM on the s366 and I am off the map.

I don't think I am going to have any problems spooling the GT45 either with the way my hot side is setup. Its on the small side, to keep velocity up. I have a Tial 44 mm gate to go on as well. Should not be too hard changing it around.

I also have a pyrometer that is going on the truck so that I can monitor things while I am towing.

The truck really could stand the turbo to be a little lazier. Right now the turbo is buzzing pretty good a 2000 RPM. Have to remember too that when I hook something to the back of the truck and load it down its going to spool quicker.

This is the video that pretty much had me sold on the GT45.

4. 96lt4c4

Look what showed up a couple days early. Almost a perfect fit.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Really surprised at the quality of this turbo. Don't see anything wrong with it at a'll.

5. 20psiofevil

http://www.forcedinductions.com/productsborgwarner.htm I have an 11 blade compressor from wicked wheel but have not installed on my s366 yet.

6. silverback

You know, every time you sound like you're going to get a different turbo for it I'm tempted to offer to buy yours off of you for my 305 project (thinking "he sized it for quick spooling/truck like powerband on a 383 it should be sweet on a 305 with a slightly taller powerband") till I plug it in and see something like this:
    http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/////af...wts=400&pt6_wd=83&pt6_wd2=74&pt6_wrsin=92044&

then I end up clicking on the link that you provided and see this:
    http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/////af...wts=400&pt6_wd=83&pt6_wd2=74&pt6_wrsin=92044&

which I think is already too small (you didn't leave yourself anyplace to go when you turn up the boost), I would have rather seen something like this:

but then I look at your conservative engine numbers and I bet that your actual is closer to this:

Which = a very responsive setup (arguably too responsive, this would be annoying to drive if the vehicle was heavily loaded) that's blowing hot air up top. That + that I really think that you were running too hot a plug = things like melted pistons (which you saw).

Still a very cool build.

What I've been wondering is how did you turn the number on borg's calculator site into a Airwerks part number 177275?

7. 96lt4c4

I compared the maps in the catalog to the maps in the Match bot. Its kind of a pain in the ass. It would be nice if they had some part numbers in the match bot, that matched the catalog.

But anyway, I got her back up and running, and I could not be happier. This turbo is way better sized for my combo and still spools plenty fast, not to mention its way quieter than the s366. that lillte dude sounded like a fighter plane.

My 44 mm tial gate is keeping boost under control as well. It came with a bunch of springs, I put the lightest one in and got about 3-4 pounds boost. So I went to the next heaviest and now I am getting 7-8. Its pulling pretty hard. I took off work Friday and fabbed all the exhaust back up. I will post some more updates later.....

GT45 FTW

[​IMG]#ad

8. 96lt4c4

I got my pyrometer / EGT gauge hooked up. I have it installed in the passenger side header. I drilled and tapped a 02 sensor bung plug to 1/8th" pipe. It works great. I was wondering what you guys think is a safe EGT. I stepped the gate spring up, now have 2 springs in there. I am getting 9-10 pounds WOT, the turbo comes on harder and is at 7-8 pounds instantly. I think the 2 springs are holding the gate closed, where 1 spring was letting it open and bleed of sooner making it feel laggy. As far as EGT's I am seeing around 1500 degrees F when I let off. I plan on hooking a trailer to this thing and do not what to burn anything (pistons) up. Now that I know what it is capable off, I may back it off for towing. AFR is still around 11-11.5.

But man.....I was grinning form ear to ear driving this thing last night...LOL. Its a blast to drive.

9. turbomalibuwagon

I wouldn't want to see 1500 for any length of time with trailer on . Gas is hotter but in a diesel I never let it stay over 1200 for more than 15 seconds or so then I'd back off and let it cool some . You may not be able to keep it hot that long depending on the tune you have biggest problem is that it will heat soak and be prone to detonation easily at a higher temp for sustained pulls.

10. ss496

Agreed.....for pulling you may want to look into water injection incase you need to power on a grade.

11. silverback

What GT45 did you go with?

12. 96lt4c4

13. sr47

Yeah my friend, need to get those egts down. Getting close to the melting point of aluminum. Saw the vid on that GT45, that is silly for the price :) Do they provide maps for those things?

14. 96lt4c4

This is the one that I went off of.

https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/333102-Compressor-map-for-a-MP-GT45

As far as the EGT's go, I have been looking around and there are guys that run them hotter than that. I agree it is hot, but there are guys seeing 1600-1700 degrees F.

I am either going to build my own meth kit or buy one. If I had better access to E85 I would be running that as well.

I also read that too little timing will cause the EGT's to go up, so I am going to play around with timing some too.

How do the OE's keep EGT's under control on say the new Ford Eco Boost stuff? I wonder what kind of EGT's they run?

15. sr47

I believe with the durability testing they do, they get them smoking hot, but I was just thinking that Livernois Motorsports might have the answer to that. They tune the EcoBoost engines all the time.

Another thing, they run hyper pistons in those things right?

16. ss496

Keeping EGTs down in a steady state spark ignition application is a careful balance of afr, timing, charge air cooling, boost control and compressor/turbine matching......the water injection will get you the most benefit (from a durability/EGT reduction standpoint) with the least amount of work calibrating your set up....simply have to remember to fill up the water tank.

17. 96lt4c4

Not sure, I guess I could put a gauge on my wifes Eco Boost Escape...LOL

18. 96lt4c4

Its pretty funny, this morning I was getting gas in my daily driver and notice the rack of windshield washer fluid right next to me, 50/50 mix water methanol...fill her up....LOL

I think my timing may have been way to conservative causing it to run hot EGT's. I read a post talking about carrying over your NA timing up till about 4 pounds of boost thing start going down x amount until you end up with about 22-24 degrees by 8 pounds, then down 1 degree per pound of boost.

I am running about 28-29 degrees at 100 KPA, or 0 PSI, I started aggressively ramping down under boost. I am going to try the above and see what happens.

19. Mnlx

Probe placement makes a difference as well. I have destroyed pistons at 1150, and had them live at well above 1500. Back pressure also seemed to play a role.

20. ss496

Also a difference between 1500 from a high output, high charge/cylinder density scenario.......and 1500 from overly rich or overly retarded timing or both.