1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

94 cobra turbo with a 351w

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by SN 94cobra turbo351w, Jan 13, 2011.

1. MONTEGOD7SS

"Chop up" is a relative term I guess. Swapping out the whole driveline could be considered chopping it up, even if you didn't actually cut anything in the frame or body. I just like fast cars, and fast rare cars are even cooler in my book.

2. SN 94cobra turbo351w

i understand that but i can put it back to stock and noone would ever know anything was done to the car

3. MONTEGOD7SS

I don't consider your car chopped up at all, just modded. Some folks think putting underdrive pullies on a Cobra is wrong, and that just doesn't make sense. As long as you aren't hacking out floor pans for a cage I really don't see how anybody could get upset at what you did just by replacing the drive line. A built 351 with a 76mm on it is no joke! This car is going to fly, and look good doing it.

4. SN 94cobra turbo351w

yea no cage yet and im not sure i want to. i know i should to be safe but i still have not made my mind up yet.

as for the car i hope it flys.lol im guessing on 12 maybe 14lbs it should be a mid 9 sec car.

5. MONTEGOD7SS

That's one of the problems about rare cars. You make them too fast and it's just not safe going that fast without a cage, but you really don't want to cut it up.

6. SN 94cobra turbo351w

this is so true

7. SN 94cobra turbo351w

got my hurst shifter today off corral should be here tomorrow also waiting on my head studs.after that its time to put the motor together

8. Saleen95T351

Nice build man. I also love ur intake choice verry sexy. I have a 95 that im doing a 351w turbo w/ 76mm. Wat type of aeromotive pump r u using? Also I have the chance to get an anderson pms tuner for 600 locally and just wondering if u had any experience with the installation and operation of it. Im in the EXACT boat ur in so I will b watching ur build closely so any info is appreciated :2thumbs:

9. SN 94cobra turbo351w

im running the aeromotive A1000 PUMP as for the anderson pms i have not got that far yet however my buddy has used them before and he swares by them.the people that bitch about the anderson pms are the people that dont know how to use them.well atleast thats how it seems from the people i have talked to a while back.i should have the car running in the next week weeks

10. eades5.0

Gonna be a monster!

-Chris

11. SN 94cobra turbo351w

thanks chris i hope it is.i put way more money into it then i wanted to.lol got some stuff done today to the motor.here are a few pics. i need to polish all the stuff but dont want to waste time untill its all running.put the water pump,heads,intake

engine 006.jpg #ad

engine 007.jpg #ad

engine 008.jpg #ad

12. 96Tangg

What is your HP goal? I am thinking of selling my T76 Mod motor and doing a 427AFR headed turbo set up.
    I will be watching yours close.

13. stangwell

Im watching. I am building a very similar setup but I went solid roller and I have high ports with a blow through setup. waiting on studs and cold side. Im currious to know what your goals are cause mine are high but I dont feel the little T76 are going to meet mine :doh:

14. SN 94cobra turbo351w

i dont really have a HP goal in mine.i guess ill be happy with whatever it makes with 14lbs.i might end up getting a drat block but with the stock 351w i dont want to push it.also thinking about putting a meth injection kit on it. as long as i go mid 9s on 12 to 14 lbs ill be happy.once i upgrade to a dart if i go that far then ill be wanting around 750 to 800 @ the wheels

15. SN 94cobra turbo351w

like i told the other guy im not really looking at the hp numbers.ill be happy for mid9s for now.once i go with the dart block if i go that far then ill be looking for 750 to 800.as for now i dont want to push the stock block

16. SN 94cobra turbo351w

i have had alot of people tell me to put better rods,pistons in it but i dont want to waste the money and then the block not hold up.the internals are from a 351w sportsman crate motor which from what i have read up on the internals are almost the same as the lightning 351w but they pistons have valve release cut in the pistion and the lightning truck does not.the link below is the write up they did about the motor back in i think 96 or 97 i dont have moch into the short block so if it does not hold up its not a big loose.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/wb_archives/351_sportsman.html

17. stangwell

I did the same thing I put good pistons on some shot peen rods and good total seal rings and arp rod bolts going to push it but not to the point where it blows up and takes my heads out. At the end of season im going to push it hard to see what it will do. Im hoping to have mine done and tune by end of next month, good luck and keep the pics coming :2thumbs:

18. AIS

Have questions on methanol injection. Feel free to PM or call me directly at 801.447.2559.

Rodney

19. SN 94cobra turbo351w

when i get it up and running which should be soon ill hit you up...thanks

20. SN 94cobra turbo351w

here are a few more pics of the car and engine.

012911141743.jpeg #ad

012911135025.jpeg #ad