1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

93 Nissan 240sx LS1/T56/Backhalf... Turbo in progress.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Slo_240sx, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Unatural

That's looking awesome. Get some video for us if you can. :2thumbs:

2. Slo_240sx

Will do! Gotta get this on the dyno and tuned first!

3. Slo_240sx

Ordered an AMS500 boost controller. Seems to have the best reviews and customer service. Still pondering on CO2, anyone think its worth it over manifold pressure?

4. Disney Lincoln

Nice work!! Glad to see you're back at it again!

5. Slo_240sx

I found out both of my Flexalite fans went out.. Triggered the relays, they would spin slow and pop the fuse. Jumped the fans to power and the wires would get super hot. Ohmed the fans and they read .35 and .1 Ohms. Definitely have shorted fan motors. Called their tech support and David was super friendly. Needless to say, All of my builds will now run flexalites. David helped me diagnose the problem and even sent me out some fans. Best support ever!

AMS-500 installed, Meth injection installed, Corbeau Forza seats are in and dyno appt is setup for this friday! I'm super excited, I've been buttoning this thing up for the last week, I should have it back on the road by Tuesday. One thing I don't like is the AMS-500 constantly clicking. I had it solid mounted and then had to put a rubber isolator behind it. All I have left is to mount the hood and finish up some wiring!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  6. lblevins

Heck yeah looks great!

7. Slo_240sx

Thanks! Ready to hit the Dyno! :)

1017105_10151701407846083_1490317904_n.jpg #ad

1017105_10151701407846083_1490317904_n.jpg #ad

8. 302andsome

Looks nasty

9. Forcefed86

Do you use boost compensation tuning? I I didn't see what ECU you were using to tune with? Was talking to my local dyno guy (same tire frying dyno type) and they like to run a base line as low as your boost will go. Then use boost compensation tuning. That way you can tune your fuel curve in on the dyno at say 300-400hp and not totally wreck the tires or risk failure. Once you have that locked in the ECU automatically adjusts the fuel curve for higher boost numbers. (which you test at the track) Maybe worth a shot. I didn't have the money to blow on a set of tires and a dyno tune so I did this method on the street. Seems to work very well. Just propped the WG open and made a few passes. Then dialed up the boost.

Congrats on the car! Looks great!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  10. rockoosi1

Compensation tuning? Is this something that can be done with the stock ECU? If so can you give some more details? Sorry if it is mentioned in the thread already.

11. Slo_240sx

I am on the factory PCM with HPTuners. I am not tune savvy as much as I would like to be but i am pretty sure my tuner is using boost compensation. He also got a new dyno that isn't a tire killer lol. He made me disable the meth and boost controller to delete any variables that may interfere if there are any mechanical issues. One a base has been established we can start adding more meth, boost and fine tune everything. We uploaded a base map from a similiar car that made over 1000whp and scaled it down. Afterwards, we did a pull on just WG pressure and it made 630/650tq until about 5500rpm and we got valve float. I guess ETP heads come with crappy valves. Ordering new springs from Brian Tooley Racing and back on the dyno next week!

12. denmah

i cant wait to see how it does

13. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Slow_240sx, sent you a private message 5 days ago with a question concerning this build (possible feature car). Haven't heard back from you.

14. Slo_240sx

Sorry Ken! Its real easy to scroll past the red notification way up top. I replied to your PM, thanks!

15. Blackbob

So what did this end up making for power ?

16. StabbinStevem

This car is awesome. Keep up the clean fab work.

17. Slo_240sx

Final numbers on a conservative tune are 784rwhp / 811rwtq. That was with 16 degrees of timing, we didn't want to push 91 and meth too hard. While still dialing in the boost controller it hit 23 psi and made 900who / 930tq at 5400 letting out... Oops! Turned it back down :p Overall I am happy with my fun little street car at 800.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[video=youtube;div56opZIaY][/video]

18. Slo_240sx

Well guys, ran into a low oil pressure issue. Usually cold -60 psi, warm -50 psi, WOT 70+psi.. It now idled at 25 and drops under load but spikes when I let off. I pulled the pan and found copper shavings all in the bottom. I am pulling the engine apart, I believe it ate a cam bearing due to bearing walk. I pulled the rod caps and found some scoring which I believe was developed from the low oil pressure. One rod had a bad scratch all the way to the copper which made me want to pull it apart again. I'll keep everyone updated.

19. denmah

ugh that blows so much
    good luck dude!

20. Slo_240sx

Thanks man! Yeah I'm kinda bummed but it happens. This is the EXACT problem as Z28Cobrakiller had. Bent crank I believe. I pulled the main caps and sure as shit #3 main bearing was ate to crap. I'm pretty sure the crank is bent, so I'm in the market for a forged one. I have to rip it apart, get it cleaned, check the line hone and set the bearing tolerances. .0025 on the rods and .0030 on the mains is what i'm shooting for. It should go back together fairly easy.