1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

93 Nissan 240sx LS1/T56/Backhalf... Turbo in progress.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Slo_240sx, Jan 16, 2011.

1. cobratt03

god damn....that is one amazing car...sweet build..ur f$cking nuts..i love it :2thumbs:

2. nxfirebird

what headers are you using? looks like the drivers side worked well, how does the passenger side fit?

3. TimmieG

PRrretttyyyyy neat!

4. Slo_240sx

Thanks for the comments everyone!

They are OBX headers. The driver side fits perfect, the passenger side hits the engine mount. I either have to make a new Xmember with new mounts that go further back or use different headers. I bought a truck manifold for the pass side and it almost fits. The 3 bolt flange at the bottom hits the frame. My idea is to cut the flange off and maneuver a pipe to the merge with a Vband. How bad will it be to weld mild steel to cast? I've read you need to heat it up with torches before welding. Where are my welding gurus at? :)

5. Slo_240sx

Charge piping is DONE! 3 pipes total made - Turbo to I/C, I/C to routing hole and TB/BOV pipe. Getting welded and bead rolled.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. Slo_240sx

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. watahyahknow

looks verry clean , nicely done

8. turbo_72nova

i agree very clean build. starting to see more and more imports running v8 and turbos. Its getting crazy...

9. slow67

You could cut the flange off. Heat the manifold up in the oven before welding, and slowly cool it down (either with the oven again or maybe a metal bucket with sand in it). Apparently the LSx manifolds are mostly steel and VERY easy to weld to (I will find out soon enough myself).

10. watahyahknow

i heared something a while back about clamping the castiron ontoo a vibrating table and welding it while its shaking on it , it supositly relieves the weld and the surounding metal before dropping it in sand to cool down

11. Slo_240sx

I cut the flange off the manifold and it fit perfect. All I have to do is weld it and it should weld fine if I can heat it up.

The goal is to make a streetable 550-600hp car. Not really worried about track times anymore, I want to be able to drive the thing comfortably, beat the hell out of it, have fun and bring it home. I'm ditching the skinnies for full width 17x8, and rears for 17x10 with the MT Street Radial 295 28" tall tire. Throwing power steering back on as well and trying to get it super quiet so I don't get hassled too much. Hopefully if all goes well, the turbo system will be complete in few weeks, going to Cunningham Motorsports to get tuned, stripping it back down to detail the engine bay, and putting it back together show quality.

Cold side is getting welded up and I finished the downpipe today. Measure twice, cut once. I didnt. I eyeballed my angles and it came out perfect lol. I guess after a while of fabbing pipes it comes as a 6th sense. 3.5" Downpipe V-band tight squeeze:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. Slo_240sx

Progress:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. Slo_240sx

Almost done with the merge, should be done tomorrow. Last bit of piping I need done besides mounting the wastegate.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

14. Slo_240sx

Merge Pipe is done... is this a good location for the wastegate? The extension was premade for another car and perfectly fit for my setup, but I think the extension is a bit long. I also plan on rerouting it.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. Z06killinSBF

This thing looks good. You do good work.

16. boooost383

i would put the extension on the other end of the gate and mount the gate as close to the merge as possible
    great work on the car....i was torn between dropping my 383 s475 combo in one of these or and s10.....for some reason i chose the s10 :doh:

17. Slo_240sx

Thanks Zo6killin. I was looking at my clearance when running just the gate directly to the merge. It looked like it wouldnt clear which is why I didn't bother trying it without the extension and idealy I knew a direct gate was better. I also have a dump pipe for the merge which I can also use for my gate return. Thanks for the advice boost. I'll keep you guys posted tomorrow!

18. Slo_240sx

Decided not to run the extension at all. If I angle it enough without the ext it will fit.

Where are all my LS tuning gurus at? I'm lost in the sauce when it comes to tuning. I want to set this thing up for ease of tuning to my choice of tuners.

1) Switch to SD and run a 2 bar map (Only running 8PSI right now)
    2) Run a cyclone/typhoon IAT because its threaded and is a direct plug in.
    3) Should I run an open loop tune and get rid of the o2s? This thing will be driven in the street... 02's will help a little bit of driveability I'm assuming? Obviously going to run a Wideband as well.

Thanks for the help guys.

19. Slo_240sx

Talked to my tuner and heres the plan. Run a SD 2 bar map tune. Use a typhoon IAT placed behind the TB. Still torn between if I want to run open or closed loop tune. Ryne at Cunningham Motorsports said that closed loop will be tricky. Running o2 preturbo is a challenge because the backpressure created may give the o2's a faulty signal. We'll see what happens when I get there. Thanks Gents. -Alex

20. Slo_240sx

Besides the exhaust All piping is DONE! Got my wastegate on what I believe is a great location. Also talked with my tuner, he can drop a 2bar map Speed density flash in so I can start it up and the deposit can be used towards the tune when I get it there! I'm super excited, at the final stages, going to try and start her this weekend! :chacha: