1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

93 Hatch/ 408 ci / Ponydown PT4788 Build, Holley HP EFI. IT FINALLY RUNS!!!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by ewoogy, Aug 23, 2011.

1. ewoogy

Yeah I figured I might as well use the boost control since I got it. Never done anything like this so it's a learning process for sure. The Holley instructions are sure complicated for a beginner lol. Have not touched car since last update, too much family stuff going on every weekend. Hope to work on it in December when wife is on break from school.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I figured I might as well use the boost control since I got it. Never done anything like this so it's a learning process for sure. The Holley instructions are sure complicated for a beginner lol. Have not touched car since last update, too much family stuff going on every weekend. Hope to work on it in December when wife is on break from school.

2. ewoogy

Was getting co2 bottle mounted, you can see it on bar behind passenger seat. Then my "helpers" wanted to come help and that was the end of working on the car for the day lol.

IMG_5401.JPG #ad

IMG_5401.JPG #ad

3. ewoogy

Got upper radiator hose cut and installed, ran into problem with lower so had to order different fittings. Got radiator fan installed.
    IMG_5571.jpg #ad

Got boost control and map plumbed up to CO2 but not wired up yet.

IMG_5570.jpg #ad

IMG_5571.jpg #ad

IMG_5570.jpg #ad

4. ewoogy

Now that its pretty much together I dont think I can fit an air filter.

IMG_5577.jpg #ad

IMG_5577.jpg #ad

5. Johnny C.

Boost control and map looks great.

6. Hemann

Are you using the map sensor just to see gate pressure? I am guessing you have another map sensor for EFI control.

Coolant line looks good.

7. ewoogy

Yeah that map sensor is for dome pressure of the waste gate for boost control, there is a map up on the firewall for EFI control. The lower coolant line was at a weird angle so the hose was collapsing, so im going to run it behind where the driver side header comes down so i needed two different fittings. They will be here tomorrow and if all goes well i'll have it started up tomorrow! Crossing fingers. Looks like rain this Friday now so dont think i'll make it to the track so we are going to go next weekend if it gets rained out. That might be better anyway to give me more time to get any issued taken care of.

8. hoopty5.0

Looking good man. I doubt I bring mine out to the track. It'll only frustrate me, haha. As far as the parts for the DIS go, I ordered a cam sync for a 351 w/ pigtail from 64bit Tuning Concepts, a 36-1 wheel and Hall Effect sensor from DIY Autotune, and I had a buddy give me some LS1 coils. That's about it. Depending on what inputs your ecm needs, it's also really easy to use a Ford EDIS system from an explorer instead of LS coils. You can get the module and coils off ebay for around $80. If you go LS coils, pay attention to whether or not they have internal ignitors. Early LS1 coils do not, later models do - Make sure that your ECM can handle both or make sure and buy the coils that work with what you have.

9. ewoogy

how you going to mount the wheel to the balancer?

10. hoopty5.0

Somehow, yes. Haha. I haven't got that far yet. If not the balancer, then the crank pulley.

11. hoopty5.0

I need to measure the lip on the balancer and have the center of the wheel cut a few thou larger to ensure that it's centered.

12. ewoogy

So this is what I ended up with for the lower radiator hose
    IMG_5580.jpg #ad

After I got that installed I started to add water and water was pouring out of the bottom of the water pump. So I pulled off the water pump installed at the gasket wasn't lining up right. I ran into this before where I was the wrong gasket from the part store and they just gave me a different one but this time we looked it up and apparently my timing cover comes off of a 1988 to 1990 Ford truck. So I got the gasket changed and added water added oil and add a transmission fluid and went to the store to buy E85. Apparently they are using a winter blend because I just tested it and it's more like E72. Anyone know if it's OK to still start at like that? I will find some real E 85 before I get into any boost.

IMG_5582.jpg #ad

IMG_5580.jpg #ad

IMG_5582.jpg #ad

13. ewoogy

Just tried to crank it but damn battery is dead after sitting for so long. Back to the parts store

14. hoopty5.0

Haha man you know it can't ever just be easy!

15. ewoogy

Left battery at parts store earlier to see if it would take a charge, of course it wouldn't. New batter was $250!!! :swear: I'll put battery in tomorrow and see if i can get this damn car off the jack stands and out for a drive.

16. ewoogy

Re: 93 Hatch/ 408 ci / Ponydown PT4788, AOD Build, Holley HP EFI.

Also its looking like its going to be really cold for the track on friday, well cold for down here. Low for friday is looking like 30 deg so im thinking i might put it off a week till next friday but my friends still want to go so who knows. Still got to get it off the stands first lol.

17. hoopty5.0

Nice! Ill be in Montana next week, so definitely wont make that either.

18. ewoogy

It's alive! Started right up on first crank but died after a few seconds. Got it to idle then found a pretty good coolant leak from thermostat housing. I'm gonna pull it off but I don't know if I'll be able to fix it. That's what I get for buying a cheaper Chinese thermostat housing lol.

IMG_5584.jpg #ad

I'll post a video later from my computer.

IMG_5584.jpg #ad

19. ewoogy

Got thermostat housing to stop leaking but now upper radiator hose fitting is leaking where is attaches to radiator. I took it off and I guess I missed it but the fitting welded to the radiator had a burr on it where it seals against the an hose fitting and it damaged the fitting. I used some 600 grit and sanded them both back smooth but it started leaking again. Now it only leaks maybe a drop every 30 seconds, way better than it was. I'll try sanding a little more before I order another $30 fitting.

20. ewoogy

[video=youtube_share;Ke10uehxtGE]https://youtu.be/Ke10uehxtGE[/video]