1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

93 foxbody 2.3 turbo swap

Discussion in 'Turbo Sport Compact, 4-6 Cylinder and Import Turbo Tech' started by Madmac, Dec 7, 2020.

1. nxcoupe

Tell me more about this francis wiring kit. How does it make the XS into sequential? I am planning on using the pimp xs as well but was under the impression you needed to fab a cam and crank sensor set up?

2. Madmac

you will have to get the sensors I’m going to use the ones off of my 93 2.3 n/a block in theory they will bolt right up, atleast that’s what I’m hoping. The pm 66 Ron Francis harness has all the extra wiring for the extra sensors. And then if you buy the cas kit from stinger it will delete your dizzy and add a sensor there along with the extra wiring harness to use ls coil packs or ign-1 coil packs

3. Madmac

Next update. I decided to take the engine back apart quick and check the gaps again. Then I decided I’d run them a bit bigger just in case. So I filed both top rings to .0265. I’m hoping that will give me enough room for more boost and a little extra just in case of boost spike. I also got my wheels back from the machine shop IMG_5195.jpeg #ad

91turboterror and nxcoupe like this.
  4. Madmac

Next update. Got the car back on all fours which is nice! Once I get my new oil pump in it’s finally engine time 71009582558__DBD14DB9-3DBE-4CFC-AA46-8DAB278B9FB6.jpeg #ad

91turboterror likes this.
  5. Madmac

Also got the c4 torn apart. When I bought it I was told it was rebuilt and then just sat in the garage. But I think it’s good we broke into. Seems some bugs made a home in there and some rusting 20230705_205550.jpeg #ad
    20230705_211514.jpeg #ad
    20230705_210305.jpeg #ad
    20230705_212447.jpeg #ad

Old 86 likes this.
  6. Madmac

Next update engine is in! I also mocked the turbo header up and attempted to mock up the intakes. But my lower intake doesn’t match up at all which is upsetting. It seems to be about an inch to short for the bolt holes in the head to line up. When I bought it the guy claimed it came off a 2.3 turbo car. So I wonder what kinda head they were running. But I have it just sitting in there just to kinda get an idea of what it would look like. IMG_5223.jpeg #ad
    IMG_5222.jpeg #ad
    IMG_5221.jpeg #ad

7. Madmac

IMG_5259.jpeg #ad
    IMG_5260.jpeg #ad
    IMG_5261.jpeg #ad
    Update, got the cas system from Stinger performance as well as the harness for ls style coil packs. I got the distributor insides removed and the new stuff inside. Very interesting looking. Next step I’ll work on getting the cam/crank sensors out on. I’ll be taking them off the n/a engine. Might get new ones but I hope it has all the brackets and everything I need

Old 86 likes this.
  8. Madmac

Well ran into my first problem. Well it’s not really a problem just a lot of work I have done I have to undo. I tucked most of the harness from the original harness and hid it. I thought the sequential harness would be the same as the others where you use your existing harness and plug right into it. This new harness replaces everything. Starting at the ecu and has plugs for all your dash gauges and such. So I guess it’s time to redo my wiring again. And also to decide where I want to send this harness through the fire wall IMG_5270.jpeg #ad

9. Madmac

The other weird thing is that this ported lower intake I have every hole lines up except the one at the front I am very tempted to just use the gasket to drill a new hole. IMG_5271.jpeg #ad

10. Madmac

Quick update so to fix the bolt hole issue with the lower intake manifold I drilled and tapped a new hole into the cylinder head as it had the area casted in as the newer heads have just wasn’t drilled.

since I bought the cas system from stinger I don’t need to run a cam or crank sensor. Which is good because where the cam sensor mounts is different from old engine blocks. The newer block has two extra holes to mount it and and then a pin that keeps the sensor aligned properly. Tonight I will get the lower intake mounted and begin routing the wiring with the new Ron Francis kit

11. Madmac

It’s coming together, I need to find a wiring diagram so I can make a connector for the tps sensor. As the Ron Francis harness has a he old style connector plug and I want to use my large throttle body which uses the 92-93 tps sensor. I cut the 93 connector out of the old harness and I have a old tps connector and pigtail from the original svo throttle body that I’ll use to make a short connector without having to cut and splice the new harness. IMG_5411.jpeg #ad
    F

IMG_5404.jpeg #ad

nxcoupe and 91turboterror like this.
  12. Madmac

Starting to come together now got the new harness in and everything wrapped up. Waiting on the ls ignition coil harness and ecm still but I feel like I’m getting close haha IMG_5480.jpeg #ad

IMG_5441.jpeg #ad

nxcoupe and 91turboterror like this.
  13. newaza

I am really digging on this thing. I've always been a fan of the turbo 2.3 motors.

Madmac likes this.
  14. Madmac

Thanks! it’s getting down to the wire now still waiting for my transmission but it’s coming along. I also made a little Instagram page for it I’m better at keeping updates on there than here tbh @thegrnmachine IMG_5569.jpeg #ad
    DC549F06-973B-451D-A25B-9F8F9B40726A.jpeg #ad

nxcoupe, Pro-SC and 91turboterror like this.