1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

93 Convertible, 351w, 80mm, AOD/4R --- IT'S ALIVE 6/29 w/ video!!!!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 1BAD6T6, Dec 4, 2010.

1. MONTEGOD7SS

It's already an 11sec car. That isn't slow at all, and this is at the very mildest tune. I'm impressed!

2. Chris91LX

Awesome. Congrats!

3. 1BAD6T6

Thanks guys. I went back through all 14 time slips. There's some good information there. The four or five time slips that coincide with the datalogs tell a good story as well. I just need the seat time. Seeing runs where my TPS is as low as 84% is frustrating. I'm going back with brianj5600 this Friday if the weather holds out.

jfive - I was thinking the same thing when I saw my first couple slips, but I took a step back and realized this whole experience is new to me and I wasn't gonna burn the track up my first couple time out. And like MONTEGOD pointed out, my tune is really soft. Believe me, I'm already itching to turn up the wick.

I'm hoping to get my boost issue figured out. Currently using my DIYAutoTune EBC solenoid, the car won't build anymore than 4-5psi (6psi spike). I'm going to test the gate this evening and the cold side for leaks when I find time this week. Once I have a chance to tune the upper portion of the VE Table, I'll throw some timing at it and see where it takes me.

I also need to invest in some suspension parts if this thing is ever gonna 60' well and consistently. In due time. :2thumbs:

4. Stangguy

Are you seroius???? 14.8 degress of timing at W.O.T. on only 6 psi boost ??? are you looking to wash down the cylinders with fuel? And heat up your hot side...all the unburnt fuel has to go somewhere. Safe would be to add another 10 degrees of timming.

5. 1BAD6T6

Ya kinda have a point there. :doh: I'll throw some more timing at it from 100kPa and up.

Thanks for the feedback.

6. Stangguy

not being a @$$$ sometimes I come off a little harsh...been seeing too much of this going on lately. Too little timing builds a lot of heat in the exhaust...It will run like crap..just like on a N/A car..whats it do when you try to run only 14 degrees on a N/A car. I know you are playing with boost, but if your engine is built for it..6psi is not crap. Safe to me on your set-up would be 11.7-1 with 25 degrees timing..I would have to see the plugs, and know the Air temps though. My car is going to the track tomorrow night at Martin. Think I have 26 in it right now with 12psi and straight pump gas..went 142mph last time out with a too tight converter. See what she will do now with a looser one.

7. Stangguy

BTW..I have been watching your build. I like the look and clean to boot..keep up the good work :2thumbs:

8. jaredsamurai

IDK, do you really think cylinder wash is a problem with a little too retarded of timing? Maybe if you get into the ATDC timing numbers I could see it but not just 10º off. I could see burnt exh valves or glowing read exhaust and maybe premature cracking but I don't see cyl wash occuring unless the A/F's get super rich too.

BTW 6t6, I think your A/F numbers may change if you jump in and throw 10º extra timing at it. I've heard reports of that.

9. Mnlx

x2...... especially at 12:1 afr

10. Stangguy

NO, not in his case..just lately a lot of people think safe is to run 10.5-11.4-1 AFR and 15 degrees timing...this is totally wrong. And yes putting the timing in it is going to change his AFR...not to mention making a happier motor.

11. jaredsamurai

Agreed. There is such thing as too safe. Yes it may not cause detonation, but it doesn't mean its safe for everything else.

12. 1BAD6T6

Stanguy, I didn't think anything negative about what you posted. I built this thing to handle it and you're right, I'm being overly cautious maybe even a little paranoid. I've put a lot of myself into this first build. Its time I put on my big boy pants and let it eat.

I've already fixed the timing in the spark table. I'm going by the 1* per psi theory and leaning toward 1.5* so I don't go the other way and get too aggressive. I'll run the car a few times on the street at moderate loads just to get an idea of how the AFRs will be effected before I open it up at the track.

I really appreciate the comments and feedback. Please, by all means keep them coming.

13. Turbo Drag Radial

what is your car....8:1 compression?

What tuning system.

I used to hear this same thing.....run 11.7A/F and 25-28 degrees of timing.......tuning is not one size fits all....too many variables to take into account.

14. Stangguy

No one said it was one size fits all.... its a good starting point. You have to test, pull plugs, and look at data to know what is best for each combo. I have seen 12.4-1 AFR with 21 degrees timing and 21psi boost on one motor, anything more or less it was not happy. This was on a engine dyno

15. 1BAD6T6

I've calculated my CR to be 9.29:1 with 60cc Victor Jrs.

I'm using MegaSquirt2 v3 with TunerStudio and Megalog Viewer.

16. brianj5600

Another thing to remember is that most motors on this site have reduced compression and could possibly run full timing at 4-5psi. My current tune is still running 38* of timing until 3psi. At that point it pulls timing to get me to 23* at 11psi. No cooler and blow thru so not a great comparison, but my car slowed down w/o detonation with more timing. I have seen a few people that don't start pulling timing until after the manifold sees boost.

17. Stangguy

18. huafist

Stangguy, comparing your engine to 1BAD6T6's is like comparing apples to oranges. You can't think for a second they'll need the same timing or fueling. There's so much more to determining what timing a particular engine will like other than fuel type and static compression. The 3 biggest factors that come to mind are quench area, dynamic compression and combustion chamber design. These are the factors that really affect what timing an engine likes.
    As far as what timing he needs to run, we've already talked about it, and I suggested he bump timing in boost up to the 22* range and then creep up on it from there. He needs a dyno session to know exactly what it likes, but throwing a ton of timing at it without knowing how it will react is asking for trouble. Like Brian hit on, you can add enough timing to hurt performance without inducing knock, and a dyno is the easiest way to see that.

I'd run leaner as well - at 6psi, I'd run her around 12.2.

19. 1BAD6T6

Ran a boost leak test last night. Set my compressor to 10psi and heard the dreaded hiss of lost power. Its coming from a few strange places: #7 and #8 injectors and the TPS. I found that the cold side piping is pretty tight. I have only 1 coupling that leaks. On 10psi from the compressor, my boost gauge shows the system holds 6psi; losing 4psi to leaks. Looks like I have a little more work to do before the TnT session tomorrow night.

20. mustang-junky

Subscribing. I read the whole thread, very informative. I have been thinking of adding MS II to my DD, a 4r70w also. Keep the good stuff coming. :2thumbs:

Jess