1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

93 COBRA BUILD (1000HP GOAL - TT 5.4L DOHC - 345/30/18's - Custom IFS)

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by MSM69Z28, Jul 7, 2007.

1. 99TTGT

thanks

2. czcapri

3. 99TTGT

4. 99TTGT

what size injectors are you planning to use?
    96lbs or 160's

5. MSM69Z28

At this point, I am entertaining the idea of running methanol on occassion (atleast E85 at minimum, maybe E98) so I will need the extra volume if I am to actually reach my goal thus I will likely go 160s, but havent made that purchase yet. Still doing research to plan out the fuel system components if it is gonna be methanol tolerant.

6. 99TTGT

160's should be plenty!
    On pump gas 1001rwhp on 96lbs is not a problem :2thumbs:

7. MSM69Z28

yea, but 1000HP on methanol would need twice as much fuel based on stoich ratios. reality would likely be that it would need less than double the fuel, i think, as the cooling effect and additional timing you can run on alky would make more power. i am no expert though. need to do more homework. i don't plan on running an intercooler, but considering flat top pistons (near 11:1) which will surely need alky injection at the least on lower boost, but as i stated before, i would like to set it up to be able to run 100% meth for some full boost dyno and track runs.

also, pretty disappointed with the brakes that arrived. Obviously going with a mustang II IFS so I picked up an 11" big brake kit with slotted / drilled rotors, but the center of the rotor where the spindle nut and center cap are sticks out so damn far it won't work with my wheels. They would need 1" spacers for it to sit flush unless the wheel center cap was removed. These wheels have a shallow center cap meant for the 05 and up stangs that use a different hub set up and slip on rotors. The standard MII rotors are hub and rotor as one piece. Regardless, the solution appears to be the 12.19" front pro wilwood kit. I measured their hub, while at summit racing, and the cap appears to be much more shallow so I think it will work.

Anyway, thats equals lost dollars in shipping and 2 X $$$$ on brakes than expected. Guess that tax relief check is gonna come in handy.

Michael

8. 99TTGT

yeah going FAST it ain't cheap!

9. MSM69Z28

Alright. Finally finished the front suspension. What a major project, but I think it came out alright and will definately be different.

I did have to widen the Art Morrison crossmember as the kit was a 57" hub to hub (31" outside of frame rails), and I needed it to be closer to 60". They do make a 60" kit, but it also has 31" outside to outside of frame rails, and mine are 34". They also make a kit tht is 34" for the distance outside to outside of the frame rails, but it is a huge 62" hub to hub. So basically, I bought the 57" kit, and I added 1.5" on each side keeping the center of the cross member correct, as well as, widening between the rack mounting locations and the LCA mounts so all the mounting locations, and suspension geometry remained intact. I will also likely have to use some rack & pinion pivot point extensions as well, as Art Morrison told me I need to have the upper, lower, and rack pivot point to all be in a straight line.

Wasn't exactly bolt in, but overall, the crossmember mod was a pretty simple fabrication.

With adjustable poly ends on upper and lowers, I can easily adjust camber and even tweak the overall hub to hub length so the wheels can fit as wide as possilbe in the fenders without rubbing when lowered. Here is the before and after i have.

I will add some more pics in another post.

Thanks

Michael

10. 93gtstanger

that is just awesome. great build

:cheers:

11. MSM69Z28

ITS FINALLY A ROLLER !!!!!

Thanks Art Morrison and specifically Brock Baker (at ArtMorrison) for his help. Super nice product and very complete kit.

I loved being able to see the rear tires on the ground and from a distance. I think I will add some 1/4" spacers to move the rear tires out slighty more to the edge of the fender. Man was this beast full of dust and dirt. Since it is finally a roller, I did push it out and rinsed it off for the first time in over a year and a half (as you can tell in the final few pics). I also just coated the frame and control arms with primer to keep off the rust. I plan to powder coat the control arms.

Still have to mount the Wilwood 12.19" front and rear PRO 2-piece brake kits which are the 4 piston callipers, driller & slotted front and rear rotors, and the aluminum hubs you see in the pics.

Thanks,

Michael

12. 1lowtoy

Very, very nice work! I would love to see some pics with the front fenrders on. Great work!

13. Big Jay

WOW! I will tell you that 3.73s and 26" tall tires is only good for about 132-135 in the quarter. My 3.27s are done at 147 @ 6700. With the power your gonna make. You will never notice the low gears.

14. MSM69Z28

Agree 1lowtoy, next step is to mount front fenders so I can make some adjustments if necessary. Then I will need to finish the interior, fabricate additional bracing for the rear end axle tubes, mock up the motor, trans, buy a clutch, and then build the turbo kit..... etc....

Once I am satisfied everything is mocked up and right, I will tear it all down to the shell so it can all get painted. I will also have most of the underside components painted or powdercoated including the rear end.

Lots of work to go, but feels good I made it to this milestone that it can roll again.

Thanks,

Michael

15. 92GreenGT

Sinister.

16. Unatural

:clap: Excellent job!! Those steam rollers on the back look even bigger now that we can see them from behind. :eek:

17. Bobby

This buildup is probably the sickest car I have ever seen in my life. :drool2:

18. Mesarina

you sir, have some great skills :welder: congrats!

19. BlownShovel

Moving along nicely Michael ! Great build. And once again I will say... attention to detail, thinking out of the box, and building a GREAT ride.

Walt

20. eades5.0

Great build!!!