1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

'89 Truck

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by dodgestrike, Sep 27, 2014.

1. dodgestrike

Yeah I never imagined it would be that bad, I think the previous owner never changed the oil on the thing before I got it or he used those additives it was really gummy the pan was full with it and metal flakes from the bearings.

2. glhs0426

And then there is the "Grenade". The 308 head castings are worlds better in stock form than the heads he was using. I love the new HEMI and agree with the LS logic, but if you are building from scratch which it sounds like you are doing with the 5.7 it would much more budget friendly and fun to make the 360 you have turn the tires.

3. dodgestrike

Yes I get your point and that was my initial plan, but in the end the goals I have for the truck will be as much or even more $ to achieve using a LA platform for the build.

if I'm spending either way I don't want to dump $ in setting the truck up for a LA and then change it over to a 3Ghemi in the end, what I might do is find a yunkyard 5.7 if I can get one priced reasonably, for the learning curve and then slap the built engine using the block I already have. either way I'm starting the build from the back to the front so I have a long way before I get to the engine.

Thanks for your comments , I'll try to keep posting updates.

4. slimbobaggins

Sweet truck, I look forward to reading more about this.

5. dodgestrike

Thanks.

I don't know if this is progress but here's how things look, block looks OK ,it spun the rod bearings on all 8 , only 4 rods survived and the crank needs work , but I don't think it's worth it , the heads are "ok" but I don't know if I want to use them if I follow the build with this block dump cash on these or go with '09 UP Eagle castings.

Does anyone know the going price for a complete 6.4 minus ECU ? I can get one for 2,500 USD its complete from pan to the tb , exhaust manifolds, and even the harness it's just missing the ECU , been toying with the idea to use the stock ECU and use HPtuners on it....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad