1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

'89 Mustang GT S475

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by bluestang23, Sep 19, 2014.

1. 92LX-5.8

You know you have to set timing with the trigger off set in the squirt. Also have to set WOT and 0% for the tps in the squirt.

2. 92LX-5.8

set timing
    http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/base_timing_how_to.htm

set TPS
    '¢This vehicle has a variable TPS. You should calibrate it properly from TunerStudio in the 'Tools' menu. Choose 'Calibrate TPS'.

◦Make sure the engine is off, and the key is on.

◦With your foot off of the throttle, click the 'Closed Throttle ADC Count - GET CURRENT' Button.

◦Put the throttle to the floor. With your foot fully depressing the throttle, click the 'Full Throttle ADC Count - GET CURRENT' Button.

◦Click Close

3. bluestang23

Well time for some updates.

Bought a house!

bought a performance transmission off a friend,,,... C4 with manual valve body with a 3200 Stall
    Band M ratchet shifter and c4 cable should be here by the week end.
    Installed and ran new lines to the C4
    Bolted up the hotside and exhaust.
    Now just wondering why its not starting.....
    have power to selenoid, maybe its because i dont have the shifter in. I really dont know.

So thats where I am at.
    . 10987485_1043529475674842_8380688312838204981_n.jpg #ad

Well after putting in 80+ injectors for some reason its not firing. Have crank, Spark, but i might be flooding the engine, so tomorrow I'll put the stock ones back in and see if that helps.

Also had to rewire the cluster Fizuck that the previous owner did to the ignition. Now I can at least crank the car over......So injectors tomorrow and hope for the best.

Also the shifter and cable came in tonight so that will be fun to hook up.

Thanks for looking

10987485_1043529475674842_8380688312838204981_n.jpg #ad

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  4. bluestang23

A little update. Put in the B&M shifter and C4 conversion cable. Still have to wire up the reverse lights. Tried to retap the heads to find out that they have heila coils in them and broke the tool off inside the head. Removed the head and had the tool removed. replaced gaskets and reinstalled everything. Just waiting to dial in the timing. Also plugged in the Mega squirt and will be using that from now on. Hope it works better for me this time, than it did before.

Hope to be driving it by Fathers Day 2015.....

5. mikemachine

Keep after it man, it'll be worth it soon!

6. bluestang23

Well took the bullet, and decided to tow it to a local speed shop. They will hopefully get it running and then i can get a dyno tune for max efficiency.

7. 92LX-5.8

What all is left for them to do?

8. bluestang23

Well its been way too long. Sorry have not posted in a while. House moving has taken up most of the time, other that work. So here is a little rundown from last. Took it to the mechanic for what i thought would only take a few days. Had him wire up the electric fan, ground all the parts he could to the chassis, re-rout the wire for the starter, Installed a remanufactured starter. (just to find out later that i need a mini one, due to heat soak)

cleaned up some wires for the Fuel Injector plugs. Put a few more bongs and vaccume lines on the Intake manifold. Basically cleaned up my mess i did. He got the car running but because it was out of inspection.....thank you NYS.....he would not street tune it. So i puttered it back to my garage and installed a different fuel pressure regulator. Got all the lights working, including reverse since it was converted to a c4. Cleaned up the rats nest of wires in the cockpit. And new Battery. Now that was all done for him to inspect and tune the car, I thought. So I towed it back to his shop(tune was off since FPR was replaced) to have it sit there for three weeks. He got it running but could not drive it because the starter was getting heat soak.....FML. Just had him put the re manufactured oem starter in to find out I need a mini.... great

Live and learn i guess. So towed it back to my house because I'm cheap and don't want to spend the money on labor when i can do it for free....

So it sits on jack stands, starter out, waiting on my mini High torque Starter from Performance Automatic 9/22/15. and wrapping it too with a heat shield.

9. 92LX-5.8

Always something, I just use the stock regulator with no issues.

10. bluestang23

Well installed the mini starter and it fired right up. However I still have to feather it around 1500-2000 rpm for it to warm up......(im seeing 10.5 or so on my A/F gauge.....and when i feather it down to 900 or so it falls on its face and stalls out. Try to restart it and it cranks and cranks and cranks..... you get the picture....till finally it wont crank at all. So i let it sit for an hour or so and try again and it fires up, still feathering it......Im thinking its tuning.

11. bluestang23

update. So found a small leak in my gas tank where we welded up the sump. So dropped the tank yesterday and going to have it tested and fixed this week. Have an appointment for a tuner shop in town to look over everything and get my car running. They said because im using 9333pt1 head gaskets and not the multi layer ones that my heads WILL lift if i go over 6# of boost. I call BS but what ever. I just want this damn thing running this year so I can drive the damn thing.

12. 92LX-5.8

I think its all in the tune myself, heads should not lift at 6lbs with a decent tune. But maybe some others will chime in with more tuning experience than me. You have the right idea, get it running and driving and go from there.

13. Mike86Stang

I use the cheapest head gaskets they make ( to my knowledge), for 302's/351's. They are p/n 8548pt2.. i hit 20psi on more then 1 occasion and never lifted a head. That was with my old crappy gt40p's which are notorious for having thin decks and not being able to handle much boost by the decks flexing distorting.

It's all BS! It is in the tune... PERIOD.

14. bluestang23

Well guess ill install the tank when its ready and tow it to the different shop. what would you guys say the max boost would be for weekend warrior. 10# safely.....15#......20.....

Remember stock rods, stock crank. Keith Black Hypernumatic pistons.......

15. Mike86Stang

I ran 15psi 90% of the time. I wouldn't hesitate to run that much again.

As far as the engine goes, kinda depends on how much power it's making more then the boost level. 700-800hp is about where I would leave it unless i was taking it out to the track. All personal opinion however

16. bluestang23

Towed the mustang to the KS auto speed shop in my area. Hope they can diagnose what is happening. After taking the spark plugs out to see the gap, I reinstalled them. I found that my fuel injectors to # 5 cylinder was coming up so i tightneed up the bolts to hold down the rail. After that I pulled the fuel tank and fixed the leak that had formed. Re istalled that and now it just cranks and cranks and you get the idea. So hopefully the tune shop can get me up and running so I can drive this damn car at least a few times before it statrts to snow.

17. bluestang23

Got word today that my car was put on hold due to a unforseen malfunction with a Chevrolet motor. I guess the engine gave and they had to put my car on the back burner for the past week. Hope to hear more news this week.

18. bluestang23

Looks like the Megasquirt idea is a no go. My tuner doesnt like using it so I will be selling that soon. Bought a used A9P ecu so hopefully they can tune using that. Lets hope.

19. ss496

If you are looking to ditch the megasquirt...depending on what it is id be interested....shoot me a PM if or when you are ready to sell it.

20. bluestang23

I'll let you know. It's a 3.57 version. Tuner also said I need different injectors. Right now I have low impudent and need the high impudent ones. So those will be for sale too.