1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

'89 Mustang GT S475

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by bluestang23, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Mike86Stang

How much power you trying to make bro? 3.5 is good into the 4 digit range. Back pressure may be another story but a housing swap is simple.

2. silver82GT

I would also note that I ran a 10.5@128 on 13-14lbs of boost with the .81 housing on it blowing through the convertor. It was stalling at 55-5600. 3" elbow into a 3.5" muffler and then dumped in front of the right front tire. I think it would have rev'd higher if I would have had stronger valve springs or more wastegate. Regardless of housing get as much wastegate as you can on it. If you saw my build thread then you know what a difference it made on my car going from dual 38mm to a 38mm and a 50mm. If you are planning to do a turbine housing swap and you need to modify piping to put the new turbo on then do it right away since the housings have a different shaft centerline to flange distances.

Don't get the idea that this turbo won't make power, TomR ran in the 8s with this turbo on his 363. They make huge power.

3. bluestang23

not on a specific number. more so time.... Maybe 8-10 lbs of boost...then see how much the engine can take. gives me an idea on the 1/8th mile times. Since the track will be closing soon for the season Ill have to wait for next year. Shooting for 6.5x or better at 103-105mph

-1 3/4" primary headers
    -Down pipe 2 piece 3 1/2"
    -3" crossover ( w/ flex joint, and v band flanges)
    Y PIPE--The piping before the y is 3" and the two ends out of the y are 2 1/2"

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  4. bluestang23

hope to fire the car up today. cross fingers everything goes as planned.

Once i get it home, Ill see if I can mount the 7675 in place of the On3 76. And if I can make a flange and turn it like Silver82 did. That way I can access my spark plugs easier and get rid of my exhaust. Might have to get a different fan. I have the Mark8 one but that seems like its taking up alot of room.

Might go with a contour fan or any other options are greatly apprecaiated. Let me know what works for you guys.

Thanks -Andy

5. bluestang23

6. bluestang23

She fired right up!!!! no hesitation at all.

All thats left is putting some pannels back into place, a NYS inspection, and put in a MSD to distributor connection.

So by Thursday the latest ill have my car back.

7. prostreet94s10

Just read through all 22 pages, sounds like its been a long road! Enjoy the first ride in a long time!

8. bluestang23

Well got the car back. running strong.

few questions i have, might be the tune , but at idle....say stop light or sign. AFR is reading 16.5-17.2 (mind you fuel pressure regulator is at 38psi with vacuum attatched.

So do I turn up the FPR to say 40-42 psi with vacuum attatched.

Another thing is while crusing around getting on the gas some just to stay with traffic its reading 15.xx-16.xx, dont really know if thats safe.

Ill see if i can post the video of this later today.

9. prostreet94s10

Was it tuned on a dyno by a pro? if so, sounds like you need to drive around with them in the car logging some info and a few small tweaks could work it out.

10. bluestang23

[video=youtube_share;Zh2EhZqTb8k]https://youtu.be/Zh2EhZqTb8k[/video]

11. bluestang23

No dyno as of yet. Maybe next season.

12. bluestang23

how does one plumb in their liquid cooled turbo. PTE7675 has fittings but I dont know where to get the cooling from. Radiator has two nipples im not using any more, would that suffice for street strip use. or should i get an external cooler, like the transmission cooler type. Thanks in advance.

13. bluestang23

November 2016 update

-Installed pte7675
    -Installed Precision 46mm wastegate
    -replumbed Boost controller
    -Put 7.5lbs springs into WG
    -took her out and holds 7psi in 2 gear pull AFR was 10.3
    -Getting tuned hopefully for the last time. 11/17/2016

-pulls like a freight train. love it

14. Mike86Stang

Glad to hear it man! So you gonna keep it now?

15. silver82GT

Good to hear it is running and you like it. I love those ball bearing 76mm turbos.

16. bluestang23

So i get about 7 miles from my tune appointment and i hear a lout POP. car shuts off so i pull over. Oil pressure is zero and gauges go dead. This happend on the thru way doing about 2500 rpm in third gear. (c4) with afr around 14.5-15.....oil pressure a steady20psi and fpr is 38psi.......

on to the devistation. I look under the car and see no oil dripping or pouring out , so thats a plus. next I check dip stick. ....got lots of oil there. So i try starting it. Nope.

Get it towed to my house to figure out what happened. My dad said to pull distributor out. Sure as S#*t the gear is Fizuked and the cam gear is shot.

Now I have the radiator out, water pump off, and ready to pull the balancer off.

needless to say Im done with this car for now. Lets see if I get motivated by spring.
    (ordered a brass gear the next day. should be here 11/25/16. Still looking for a custom cam or a cam simillar to my old one.)

"If ya didnt have bad luck, you would not have luck at all". -my tuner

17. Mike86Stang

Make sure you are using the right gear for the cam.. may have possible been why they chewed each other up.

18. silver82GT

I would suggest trying one of Comp Cams composite drive gears. I have had one for eight years with no problems. They are a bit of a pain to install but in my case anyway it worked. Comp Cams p/n 35100 or 35200 depending on your distributor shaft diameter.

19. bluestang23

Thank you very much guys for the info. Greatly appreciate it as usuall.

20. Chris91LX

Damn, that sucks. I was told to match the dist gear to the cam gear, they should be the same material.