1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

'89 Mustang GT S475

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by bluestang23, Sep 19, 2014.

1. bluestang23

update: Ripped out carpet, seats, and rear seats. Installed new carpet and new procar seats. Just have to fix sunroof leak and install headliner. Its all comming together. Just waiting for it to get warmer and not snow so I can schedule my street tune with Adam Marrer.

2. bluestang23

Have all the interior in now. rsd is carpeted and im happy with it. As for power: I had my tuner come in and we did some street tunes. Got a good base but while setting up and getting that base I managed to kill two good batteries....................

This kinda Pi8ssed me off.

So I need your advice as to where to even start. i do have a multi meter. Only thing hooked up to battery is the fuel pump, that is hooked up to a switch. And an aftermarket fan wire kit. TIA

3. bluestang23

On Friday of last week, I had my tune guy come back and started my second tune. Fully charged battery and Mini starter. Had no problems with that, so that's a plus.

Got the car warmed up and ready for street tune. Pull out of driveway and stalls out. wtf....start car up and get it going for one good pull, and tuner says pull over, stay idle. He finds that we lost tps....not good. We limp it back to my house. Shut off car and we talk for a bit. We find that the "performance shop", that i first took my car to, decided to tap into my wire harness for my electric fan.....thats fine but why the hell did he tap into my ignition spark wire. the green yellow one connected to coil....FML so i rewired my problem, and fixed that.... Once we fixed that we did a few more pulls. Decided it was time to look at the plugs.....toasted. Im guessing because the idiot tapped into that wire, backfed the ecu to think that we are in park while we were driving and killing my tps too. FML again.

so needless to say i have ripped apart my hotside last night and installed my 4091 plugs new. Got the driver side done and decided to rtv my header flange while im at it. Still have to do passenger side. Tuner will be back on Thursday. I hope it doesnt rain on our parade.

4. 92LX-5.8

May have been the problem with your megasquirt no spark problem too.

5. bluestang23

I'm going to have to agree with you. Kind of sucks but moving on. Thanks again for your help. I really do appreciate your time and trying to help me.

6. Mike86Stang

Glad you got it sorted out and you're moving on with the project. Get that tune done... I wana see some videos!

7. Pro-SC

Wow, just read all of this and all I can say is make sure you have good harness wiring in you car, man you went through a ton of aggravation on this when you should have been having fun.....

8. bluestang23

Ive learned my lession. Do your research on "speedshops" before dumping your money into your project.

9. Pro-SC

I hear you.
    I have a long way to go before my car is done and hope that I do not have to go through what you did!
    Your car is cool and even though it was a hassle you are going to have a lot of fun!
    Thanks for sharing.

10. bluestang23

Looking for an A9P ecu. If any one has one available. please PM me. Thank you

11. bluestang23

Ok, so slight update. had the tuner come and tune the car. Started up the car, and fired right away. Let it run for five min before driving. Drove it to the corner, half throttle and pulled over to log. Made a right and in first gear floored it and would not go past 3000 rpm. pulled over and logged again.....did a second gear pull full throttle and still wont go past 3000 rmp. (mind you I did start off in 1st and light throttle till i bumped it to second gear....) Piulled it in the drive way and pulled spark plugs for compression test. All cylinders were between 140 and 160, so im assuming i have good compression.

Now my stall is a 3000-3200 i believe FWIR. Do you guys think it could be the cam?

Side note. When I pulled the spout out and advanced the timing to 13* I could rev it past 4000 rpm. So this has me stumped. And frusterated.

12. bluestang23

So after the fourth tune, I have more of an update. Car pulls hard and smooth through out rpm....however on the data log, it shows a choppy ignition. More choppy than my tuner likes to see. What could cause this? New screamin demon coil. Remanufactured distributor....msd cap....ford racing wires, new plugs gapped to .028. Guess would be 1.) bad ground to tfi, 2.) bad tfi, 3.)bad tfi and distributor.....The tuner also pointed out that when i reach higher rpm that the ignition seems to dip down after say 4500rpm...

Another problem im having is im running really hot...like 220 hot. Have a 180 thermostat i believe, and a mark8 electric fan. Mind you this 220 is after doing 8-10 pulls back to back and shutting car off,,,,with out the fan going.

and I was seeing maybe 10-12 oil psi at the end of the day of tuning. Started out at say 28-30psi.

So if you guys could throw me some info on how to check these problems, I would greatly appreciate it. I think Im 90% done with this car....Just need the extra 10% figured out.

Thank you.

13. Mike86Stang

Answered your own question here bud...

And again.. ( Hotter the oil the thinner it gets ). Change your oil just in case the heat broke it down to see where your pressure is at.

14. bluestang23

just ordered new distributor, cap and rotor, with tfi. Hope this solves the ignition problem. We will see.

15. bluestang23

small update: Had tuner come out again and still having problems with it not going past 4200 rpm in any gear. wheather its first, or second......did a few pulls, even had his tech guy check over my timing and distributor. All checked out fine. Well that night was shot and nothing went right. I am taking the car to a shop tomorrow. 2fast garage....and hoping he can fix my issues.. I am putting my hands up and saying f this car.

16. Pro-SC

You have to make sure you start with the simple stuff and go from there. Make sure you have a good ground, my bet is that you do not have a proper ground. Make certain that you do. Then check your ignition, if that all works out, I would check to see that your valve springs are able to hold the turbo pressure. You need high quality valve Springs to be able to keep the valves closed under boost.
    Don,t give up, you have a cool car, the problem is something small that you have overlooked.

17. bluestang23

Thanks for the support. I bet it is some thing I'm over looking. I know for a fact that before I messed with putting a maf...new iac...and rear seat delete with battery still in the trunk....I used megasquirt and got it up to 5300 rpm. So that is where I'm banging my head against the wall.

18. Pro-SC

I bet it is a ground problem. Make sure you get the best ground possible, odds are that this is your problem.

19. Pro-SC

I have seen this before in much lower na cars, your trans needs to ge grounded as well as your engine, make sure that they are

20. bluestang23

I have a 1 gauge ground from the block right to the battery negative. As for the transmission I don't have a ground that I can remember. Should the engine ground go to the chassis or battery?