1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

88 Stang Gt Vert S-trim to BG CUSTOM TURBO 7.92@177

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Gt-358, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Gt-358

[video=youtube;Mrbn5-XeFSY][/video]

1.33 60' 5.58@129 8.56@165
    Shifted to 2nd when it was up, still was up. Lifted a little, and jumped on the throttle again, Shifted to 3rd way early. Still went 8.56@165 and landed "softly" compared to before.

Just bent back the metal air damn under the car, luckily.

2. Hemann

WOW!

Glad it didn't hurt anything major. Stay safe Tony.

3. Turbo Drag Radial

holy cow....that was crazy. Well its safe to say that the track is hooking.

4. ricky

man Tony,you rode that one aways! looking good!

good luck tomorrow

5. Gt-358

On Friday I left before getting up on the 2 step, but still ran a 8.41@168 with a 1.41 60'. When I stopped to get my time slip, I noticed my temp was around 230. I parked quickly and noticed that my fans were not working. On the wheel stand pass, it pulled the fan wiring down and I thought I had it tied back up. But I left to much loose and the wire flew back into the crossover pipe. Then we noticed the water pump wasn't moving any water. Turned out it was an air pocket, had to pump water in for it to pick up and work.

Next pass I spun to a 1.41 and a 8.61@167. At the ticket booth, now my oil pressure gauge showed 5 psi. wtf.... Get back to my pit spot and water/oil was pushing out of the breahers :( Turned out the head gasket pushed out on cyl 7 into the lifter valley. Had to over night gaskets from Summit for the boss block.

Got the head gaskets at 11:30, but I was on the way back from O'reilly's in Lakeland with another head gasket in cause the Summit ones didn't make it. I got back at 11:40 and started working on the engine. We had pulled 1 head off Friday night and found the #7. So we didn't pull the passenger side head. But we did find #3 spark plug wire burned on the header tube. True Street wasn't suppose to start till 4, but they called the meeting @ 2pm and wanted to start the cruise at 3pm. At 2pm the head was just going back on, everyone jumped in and was helping. We got the car back running while the cars started rolling out on the road! I jumped in line and made the cruise! Can ran great on the cruise.

1st pass I had dropped the boost to 23 psi just to check things out. I launched and the car didn't leave that hard or at least it didn't feel like it. But it pulled a 1.25 60' 5.35@131 8.32@165!

2nd pass, I upped the boost a little to make sure to cover Randy's 8.32 he ran. The car in front of me dumped some kind of liquid when he launched. They barely mopped if up and called for us to do our burnouts. I pull up and still see the stain on the ground. So I pull over to the side of it and launched. It hit the tires and spun, I lift and get back on it. All the sudden, no power. It blew off the tube to the throttle body :( :( 12.49@100.

3rd pass, no boost. No way to fix it. I ran it anyway to not get a DNF. A whopping 13.14 :( The car of course was never tuned for N/A and was pig rich. Leaving me with a 11.30 avg . Not enough to make the Quick 16 for the first time in 7 years.

Oh well, the car has a lot of potential in it to work out. The 168 mph was on 27 psi and a burnt wire. So just upping the boost would make that 8.32@165 a 8.1x@168 I think. And I have more boost to go still, just need more fuel pump. Even with the Powermax @ 22v, the 160 injectors are having to go 100% duty cycle to get a 12.00 a/f.

8.32-165.jpg #ad

8.32-165.jpg #ad

6. Turbo Drag Radial

thanks for the update Tony......don't you wish it could just go smooth....lol

7. Gt-358

Smooth? not going to happen when it comes to me or my car lol

Next on the list to work on is the fuel pump, even with the JMS Powermax at 22v the 4303 pump is not keeping up. It shows the BA 160 injectors @ 100% pretty much the whole run.

Then I want to change from the Digital 6 to a Digital 7 or Grid.

8. Hemann

What fuel are you using?

9. Gt-358

E85 fuel

10. FLBoostAddict

Tony, have you considered going to V-band flange on the TB/intake tube? We had to do that on mine anyways since I had very little straight length to clamp on before the bend radius transition.

11. Gt-358

I have thought about it, but RPS is sending me a boost brace bracket to weld on.

Tony

12. Chris91LX

I saw that 8.32 pass, you guys were stoked after thrashing to get the head gasket done and barely make the cruise. Sorry you didn't finish as strong as that first run.

13. Gt-358

Yeah, you could say they where a little stoked lol. Just get it back together, didn't even have time to double check the timing was right. Looked to them it was a slow launch (and felt weak to me too, guess we are all use to the wheels up now). The 8.32 shocked everyone for sure. If that pipe wouldn't of popped off, the 3rd pass was going to be on 30 psi!

Tony

14. Chris91LX

Yeah, I was talking to your guys at the starting line after that first run. Sounded like they basically set the timing by hand, slammed the hood and got you out into the cruise as it was passing you by in the pits.

15. Gt-358

Pretty much, I just set the engine at 20 degrees and dropped the Dist in. It *should* be right, but I would of liked to of put a timing light on it. My son was under the car bolting the exhaust on while the cars were rolling by. Turned the key on and fuel started spraying from the passenger side rail. It ended up just needing to be pushed down and tightened. Ray got it tightened down and we where ready to roll.

Tony

16. 1sicpny

Congrats man, that car is working and def more in it!

17. Gt-358

Thanks, I should probably do a fuel pump before I crank up the boost again lol.

Something I also noticed in the log. I accidently swapped the fp and oil pressure connections in the rush. So it recorded the oil pressure on a run. Oil pressure drops from 77 to like 55 after 6800 rpms. Not sure if that is normal or something to worry about.

18. Gt-358

datalog screenshot of the run 8.32-165-pass.PNG #ad

8.32-165-pass.PNG #ad

19. 93AlexCoupe

Re: 88 Stang Gt Vert S-trim to BG CUSTOM TURBO 8.57@165

That was a good come back tony, I was cheering for you guys when I saw you drive by on the cruise. Congrats on the personal best.

20. 93AlexCoupe

Re: 88 Stang Gt Vert S-trim to BG CUSTOM TURBO 8.57@165

What oil pump Tony? I have heard of guys having issues with oil pressure going down the track. Not a 20psi drop, a 40-50+ drop. Cant remember exactly but it had to do with the oil pump.
    I will be logging mine with the new build.