1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

88 Stang Gt Vert S-trim to BG CUSTOM TURBO 7.92@177

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Gt-358, Dec 13, 2008.

1. robertc68

Great to see you working at it.One of my favorite cars.

2. Gt-358

Yup, sucks but so relived it was something simple! I was just thinking "Oh Crap I blew it up..." Or something finally let go since this shortblock has been in the car since the end of 2008. I'm thinking with all the bugs worked out, I can get to 172-175 (if the top doesn't rip off :) ).

Thanks!!

3. Gt-358

Tried cleaning the injector out, had this come out. It's really small and the light reflects off it but its not magnetic. Kinda looks like a shaving from an AN fitting. Sending them back to Billet Atomizer to have them checked, even after I got that out it didn't seal 100%. So they said send them back, the trash might of hurt the seal.

2016-01-18 17.23.34.jpg #ad

injector-trash.jpg #ad

4. 93AlexCoupe

Re: 88 Stang Gt Vert S-trim to BG CUSTOM TURBO 8.57@165

Damn that sucks. Friend of mine had some issues with those injectors too. Mainly one of the eight. Where do you have your post filter?

5. Gt-358

I have a 100 Micron right before the pump, and a 10 micron on the output of the pump. Did his stick open also?

6. 93AlexCoupe

Yes he had the same one stick open twice. I moved my 10micron just before the rails when I added the second pump. Don't know if that will help in filtering some of that crap but I've seen a few guys move their post just before the rails.

7. Gt-358

Messed with the car some today, the other day the 30amp relay for the fuel pump died. It actually had melted the prong on it. So I thought I would check the amp draw for the pump. My meter can test up to 20 amp and the it read 18 amp when I tried it so I unhooked it fast not to blow it. The spec on the 4303 is 14.5 amp at 45 psi. I have it set to 38 psi. I went and picked up a clamp meter that could read the higher amps. It read 22 amp from the battery to boost a pump and 18 amp BAP to pump. I called Magnafuel and thought I should send it in. After looking at it for a minute, I ran a wire straight from the battery to pump and it showed 13.8 amp draw. Which should be right based off the PSI I was running. So looks like the pump is fine and the boost a pump really up's the draw. Even when it's not "on" it regulates the voltage to the pump to 14.4 volts. I then turned on the BAP which is set to 18v and the AMP load battery to BAP showed 42 amp! That would explain the dead 30 amp relay. BAP to pump was 22 amp. Not sure I want to try 22v out of it now lol This was all done off the battery without the engine running/alternator.

I haven't started the car since the track on the 16th, figured I should change the oil since it had the stuck open injector. The oil looked like a JR Dragster that runs on alcohol lol So E85 + Oil = ew

e85-oil.jpg #ad

8. 1hcam

Damn it!

9. Gt-358

Since I have the clamp meter, I was also playing and tested other things :) The dual fans I'm using draw 16 amps running, the Water pump draws 7 amps, and the trans cooler fan was 4 amp.

10. Hemann

Good info on the Boost a pump. That clamp meter can be very handy in checking the electrical system.

Did you try it at the battery with every thing on? I was surprised to see over 50 amps with the key on, fans, and pumps.

11. Gt-358

Not yet, I wanted to check it running etc but with the oil deal I ended up not starting it. I'm going to flush the engine with a couple oil changes (and some BG additives) to try and clean it all out. So I left it draining last night and picking up more oil today.

I did try my headlights vs parking lights. With key on and just parking lights it was like 3 amp. Kicked on the headlights it went up 6.5 amp. A couple years ago I replaced all bulbs (cept headlights) with LED bulbs.
    Tony

12. Chris91LX

I was having the same problem with my magnafuel pump. It kept blowing the 30amp fuse between the relay and the battery. Turns out the fuel filters were clogged, which led me to checking the injectors and that's when I found out my whole fuel system had crap in it. Might not be your issue, but my response to any fuel issue is now "check the filters".

13. Gt-358

I had the same thought, but more along the lines of I just put a 10 micron filter in front of the pump. Thought maybe it was too restrictive and was about to pull the element just as a test. But checked the direct wire first. And without the BAP, it's right where it should be.

14. Gt-358

Trying to decide if I want to try and change the fuel pump setup before Bradenton. If I do, not sure what route to take. I could add a 2nd 4303 like Alex did, Get a Weldon 2035 as I've seen it without a BAP on E85 at this power level, or go to a Mechanical fuel pump.

Right now at 18v the 4303 is barely keeping up. I haven't tried the JMS powermax at 22v volt yet.

15. ducatibrian

Quick 4303
    Longer term mechanical of your choice

16. 93AlexCoupe

I agree with Brian, adding the second 4303 will be quick and easy. I was at 65 dc on my 8.3 pass. I will post up what it does on kill with the new 2200cc injectors. Cable drive will be my next choice.

17. Gt-358

Got the Billet Atomizer injectors back last week, they said they all had rubber in them. The only 2 rubber lines I have is -12 feed from the sump to the pump and -10 from the pump to the Y behind the rails. The -8 from the Y to rails to regulator to tank is already PTFE line. I took the lines off and didn't see any problems with the rubber lines (with the bore scope and even cut 1 open). But I thought I'd just replace them with Fragola PTFE anyway. Contacted Race Part Solutions to order the line/fittings and Darin asked for exact lengths. He had fragola make up the -10 and -12 line for me, so they are sealed and ready to install. Got them today, along with a 75mm Accufab TB. My son's 70mm BBK TB broke the shaft the other day, so I am putting the Accufab 70 I have on my 88 on his 90. And putting the new 75 on my 88. I have 3" pipes from the Turbo to TB, so why not.

fragola-ptfe.jpg #ad

18. Hemann

Tony, are you saying you went 8.57 with a 70mm TB?

19. Gt-358

Yup, not just a 8.57 but 165 mph. Only went to a 75 cause I was thinking the intake was only a 75 opening. But it's an 80. Should of looked it up, the 75 should be plenty tho.

20. 93AlexCoupe

Awesome Tony, I had issues with rubber in my injectors too. Killed 3 of my injectors. I had push lock on my main feed and return. Replaced them and put a 10 micron just before the rails. 75 will be more than enough.