1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

88 GT/Moore Racecraft turbo kit/Comp CT6X 88mm/AOD/Holley EFI

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by yellowpony, Nov 7, 2010.

1. racesloth

Re: 88 GT/88mm BG Custom Turbo PT8847 custom kit/AOD

X2 lookin good...

2. yellowpony

Finally got to the track tonight to make some runs, got three passes in but the third it just broke loose, no track prep on Fridays due to a lot of cars on street tires. I tried upping the boost but somehow my dumbass didn't route the lines for the boost controller right and could only run off wastegate spring which is 7.5 psi. Anyhow, I am more than impressed with what it did, car performed flawlessly. Both runs were leaving at 3800 and 7.5 psi, I think it will build more boost on the brake once I get the lines right. Spools extremely fast and was used to the twin setup and was on the brake for too long on the first pass. Shifts see short shifted at 6200, has a lot more left in it.

Run 1:
    60' - 1.45
    ET - 10.22@133

Run 2:
    60' - 1.48
    ET - 10.10@134

I have gopro video from the side of the car I will post up when I get them uploaded.

Anthony

3. 1sicpny

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

bad ass on 7.5 psi!

4. Hemann

7.5 psi - that turbo was just starting to wake up.

The 60 foot seems pretty good for an unprepped track.

5. yellowpony

Thanks a lot guys!

Hemann, yes i thought it was good also, that 60' is .1 better than i ever pulled with the twin setup. I didn't make any changes to the suspension from the previous setup, only the turbo kit and cam, which the cam could have some to do with this also. The spool time is greatly reduced with the single and I couldn't be happier with the switch. You are right, this turbo at 7.5psi isn't even breaking a sweat. I think I can get the 60's into the 1.3's with a better track and leaving on a little more boost if it will hold it. I beleive it will make more than 7.5 when I adjust the setpoint higher than 0. How is your build coming?

Anthony

6. yellowpony

10.10 run

7. 64duece

Nice job Ant! Effortless on 7.5lbs as expected....should wake right up with abit more pressure.

8. yellowpony

Found the boost problem. A wire came off on the boost controller where it connects to the solenoid. I had it taped under the dash and couldn't see that it had come loose. Took it out and a setpoint of 35 on the eboost netted 11.9psi, and holy hell I can't beleive the power increase, these 88's are official!

Anthony

9. racesloth

Awesome!

Reviewed your vid and it makes me miss running at Cecil - Does SSOTN still have their nats twice a year there - that was always fun...

Dan

10. Rotax

Awesome, very nice car.

What powerband do you get with that camshaft?

Also is the EFI running with the FAST crank trigger, or you've gone with a 60-2 wheel?

Seeing your car run, gives me motivation for mine, Good Job!

11. yellowpony

Dan, Cecil is a nice track, but they need to do something with that return road, its bumpy. SSOTN did not hold the nats this year due to lack of sign ups, first time ever. It was a Friday night and there were a bunch of imports on street tires, not the best night to run but it was the only night I could get there.

Rotax - Cammotion did not supply the powerband on the cam card, and I have no dyno time to show the curve, we have been using Dennis' supplied base fuel map with the autolearn on (which is quite awesome to watch it do it's thing). From the last camshaft, the car has picked up massive bottom end power, it is actually fun to drive on the street. Seat of the pants says it likes to be shifted at about 6600 and not too much more. If I had to guess about 3500-6500. This setup spools this 88 like nothing and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this turbo anyone with a similar setup. Spools way easier than my 61's. I make 7.5psi on the brake in about 2 seconds, and am actually worried it will make more now that I have the boost controller figured out, I may have to lower the 2 step rpm.

The efi is running the fast setup. It runs awesome with it gapped at .070 but anything under .060 gives false triggers. The car is a bitch to start but that is all due to the trigger. It fires right off with it gapped in the normal range of .050, but hits a wall at 6000. Dennis has the new 4.0 software we are going to use on mine that is supposed to run much cleaner. A regular msd crank trigger would solve the problem, but I don't want to mess with pulley spacing. Dennis was working on the 60-2 for the fords but Holley has him so busy on their end with getting the system features like boost control ready to go that he had to put it on the backburner. Off topic but he has his car running the drive by wire now and it is pretty sweet.

BTW, get your car done!!!

Anthony

12. yellowpony

New Glenn's all aluminum 22 gallon sumped tank. Real nice work, even has a removable plate built in to mount the fuel pump on the front of the tank and he includes a new sending unit to replace the stock one as this one is deeper. I went with this one because this thing drinks E85, and a 10 gallon fuel cell wasn't cutting it anymore. -12 feed -8 return, magnafuel protuner 750.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Anthony

13. mcj50

That's a great start...

I have a question for you...when you put the new kit on with the remflex gaskets how tight did you tighten the header bolts. I'm not buying the 12-16ft lbs on the package. I snugged them up as tight as I could get them with a 3/8 wrench, which my guestimator says is more then 12-16 ft lbs. You can feel and see the gasket compressing.

I have everything back together. It actually fit perfectly after Brian went through it again.

Your car comes up on the rev limiter faster then mine. I'm curious to see if it is any different now that I addressed all of those small exhaust leaks.

14. yellowpony

Mike, glad everything went back together smooth for you. As for the gaskets, I just tighten them down like I would a normal gasket, I didn't buy the 12-16lb ft either.

Yes, the car hits the limiter extremely fast, way faster than my old twin setup. I am heading to Cecil this Wednesday for some testing with more boost. I have to address this issue with the FAST crank trigger, this thing is a POS for me. I see some guys have no problem and some guys have the same problem I am experiencing. I think I'm gonna just junk this turd and go with a regular msd one and deal with the spacing issue. I am also meeting my tuner/engine builder at atco on the 16th for some more testing. Look forward to seeing your results with the updates.

Anthony

15. mcj50

It is usually easier for me to test at night, but I will keep the 16th marked, maybe I will come down there.

16. yellowpony

Went back to Cecil tonight to make some passes, all runs on exactly 12.0 psi boost, leaving at 3800. Wish I could tell you how much boost I was leaving with as I didn't look at the eboost staged. It must have been more because the 60' dropped. Other than the new fuel tank nothing has been changed on the car other than upping the boost.

Run 1:
    60' 1.38
    1/4 9.54
    Mph 141.xx
    I hit the rev limiter twice on this pass, I don't know what I was doing, must have been asleep.

Run 2:
    60' 1.36
    1/4 9.45
    Mph 143.xx

Run 3:
    60' 1.34
    1/4 9.45
    Mph 143.xx

Also, all runs are on drag radials. This thing is starting to come alive now. I really think it is possible to get this thing to 60' high 1.20's. I forgot the damn gopro, my brother took some vids with his iPhone but they are kinda shaky as he was holding his son at the same time, lol. But it did pull the front wheels which is pretty awesome! All in all it was a successful night and look forward to testing on the 16th and upping the boost some more.

Anthony

17. racesloth

:jdp: Awesome - your work is paying off...

18. yellowpony

Re: 88 GT/88mm BG Custom Turbo PT8847 custom kit/AOD/Track vids and Times!

Yes, it is some serious motivation, i am uploading the vids now, they arent great, but at least you can see how hard it leaves. Thanks Dan!

Anthony

19. yellowpony

1st Pass -

2nd Pass-

3rd Pass -

Anthony

20. eades5.0

AWESOME man congrats!