1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

88 GT/Moore Racecraft turbo kit/Comp CT6X 88mm/AOD/Holley EFI

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by yellowpony, Nov 7, 2010.

1. racerron67

are you using two WG or one?

2. yellowpony

Ron, I run a single 60mm wastegate.

Anthony

3. Hemann

What kind of 60' times does your car run?

4. yellowpony

James, depending on track prep we can run anywhere from 1.2's to 1.5's.

Anthony

5. 64duece

Seems like yesterday when it was "on the bumper for as long as it would stay straight" and it was probably a good idea to not trip the beams on the back tires anymore....LOL. I know of at least one pass where it did both 60 and 330ft on the dragging....

6. yellowpony

Lately I have been running the list race that I posted a video of earlier. It has turned out to be a hit here locally and there are ton of people showing up to watch us race which is great! As for updates, I finally started using my bump box i had installed when the car was wired. Wow what a difference one of those make! I can stage the car way easier and it leaves much more consistently. Once i was able to turn the launch RPM up and leave on more boost the car wanted to start heading right. It would do it right at the hit and the car would continue right the harder the power came in. I rescaled the car and some things must have shifted driving on the street, my weights were all over. We now have this nailed down. The list racing offers no timeslips which stinks because the car is launching very well. My boost is still turned down as I am still having fuel pressure issues.

The bad news is on the pass after the video was taken something happened to the motor. I have no compression in 4 different cylinders. All valves and rockers move freely and the engine turns over. Oil looks a little milky and there was pressure in the radiator even after 2 days of sitting in the trailer. The dipstick had also been blowing out the past couple weeks. I am really hoping it is as easy as head gaskets, but I am fearing ring issues. I will post updates when I find out what is wrong with it.

7. ducatibrian

That sucks!
    Car seems to be flying otherwise.

8. yellowpony

[​IMG]#ad

I haven's posted an update in a while as the car has been down with a few broken parts. Long story short, on one of the list races 2 weeks ago after I launched the car, it made a loud popping sounds and sounded like the car was way out of time and the motor just shut off and would not restart. Nothing sounded strange in the bottom end but when I turned the car over you could hear it skipping a couple cylinders like it had no compression. Upon removing the heads we found that all 8 exhaust valves had just barely touched the pistons and were bent. Skipping a tooth on the timing chain is very hard and not common at all so we kind of ruled that out. After removing the exhaust valves we found what the pic shows above. I have no experience in this arena but what is believed to have happened, was the case of E85, time and a bunch of boost. I have never had an issue with E85 and will continue to run it, but what this is believed to be corrosion due to the ethanol. The valves were believed to have hit the pistons because they weren't sealing on the seat and causing the valve to hang open allowing the boost to pull it further. I need to mention this all happened when I pedaled the car, looking at the log shows the car over revved slight amount, but when the motor shut off, the turbo was still making 23psi boost with the throttle closed which we think cause the valves to hit the pistons. The seat was so messed up that the valve beat the seat and actually cause the valve tip to move up .030. Because these were AFR heads there really wasn't much left to install new valve seats nor were the heads worth repairing. The car is now back together thanks to the help of Ed Thomas at ETPengines.net He had a bare set of new AFR 220's on his shelf that he threw new valves in for me and set them up properly. The car is back together and sounds great. While it was apart I also found that my alternator was only putting out 6v and that I had a few small cracks in my headers. I removed the titanium wrap and am just running bare headers with swain tech white lightning coating. I have a few list races on Friday night and hope the car picks up some power.

I should also mention that the seats were only like this on the exhaust valve, there was some very slight corrosion to the intake valve on the inside where it meets the exhaust valve.

If anyone else has seen this or has any ideas as to what happened I would like to hear it. All the plugs looked perfect, very little carbon build up, and the cylinder walls and pistons looked excellent as well.

Anthony

9. ducatibrian

Interesting...

10. ducatibrian

What seat material, cast inserts?

11. 1hcam

Glad it wasn't too bad and she's back up and running again. Did you at least bring home that big pocket of cash that night? Good luck Friday.

12. yellowpony

Brian, this is where my knowledge falls short. The heads were redone by XSR when I bought them used. I don't think he changed them, so I assume they are stock AFR, which I think is ductile Iron.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure did!

13. 1hcam

Hell ya!!! Lol

14. ducatibrian

Which would not be the best choice with alcohol based fuels and dissimilar materials I thinking. I would expect corrosion of the seat then material transfer to the valve.
    Just my thoughts.

How's things otherwise?

15. Turbo Drag Radial

dumb question, but a little bit of residue on the seat....could that hang the valve open enough to cause a PVC issue?

16. yellowpony

Tim, that is a great question. I will be sure to ask that. I would say yes, I am thinking this is why I all of sudden started having the dipstick push out. I will be running friday, I'll let you know how it goes.

17. Turbo Drag Radial

I was referring to Piston To Valve Clearance, not PVC breather.

I doubt you would be that close to the valve with the top of the piston even with a build up of residue.

Do you have a chain or belt timing chain?

Sometime a back fire can cause weird stuff to happen.

18. racerron67

I got a question for you Tony what size feedline are you running to your regulator from your fuel-cell

19. racerron67

I have another question for you Tony what size hot side crossover pipe that runs in front of the motor to the turbocharger .what size are you running on that ?2 1/2 inches ?

20. yellowpony

Ron, I have a -12 feed from my tank to pump, and -10 to regulator. I have a 22gal tank on the car, no cell. My crossover pipe is 3", I hope this helps.